Hydramaster CDS 4.8 Clutch Fail

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Came out to shut truck down after job and van was smoking from under hood. 2800hrs with 5 1/2 years on machine, first clutch problem. Turns out clutch fried, as well as bearing in housing on short shaft. Thanks to great tech support with Jon Don and Hydramaster I should be up and running soon (parts coming). Replacing both bearings on the short shaft, new clutch, new short shaft. Battery is also bad now with a bad cell. Now I am asking Hydramaster cds 4.8 owners if they have any other input on this repair. Hopefully it was just a breakdown due to time and wear but I am concerned about an underlying problem that caused this. The Battery thing is a flag for me, hopefully the failed electric clutch is the culprit killing the battery. Also performed jobs in very cold weather (20 degrees and windy) this winter. I also don't see any YouTube videos on clutch failure with this machine, anyone know of one? Thanks! 2016 machine/Chevy

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Came out to shut truck down after job and van was smoking from under hood. 2800hrs with 5 1/2 years on machine, first clutch problem. Turns out clutch fried, as well as bearing in housing on short shaft. Thanks to great tech support with Jon Don and Hydramaster I should be up and running soon (parts coming). Replacing both bearings on the short shaft, new clutch, new short shaft. Battery is also bad now with a bad cell. Now I am asking Hydramaster cds 4.8 owners if they have any other input on this repair. Hopefully it was just a breakdown due to time and wear but I am concerned about an underlying problem that caused this. The Battery thing is a flag for me, hopefully the failed electric clutch is the culprit killing the battery. Also performed jobs in very cold weather (20 degrees and windy) this winter. I also don't see any YouTube videos on clutch failure with this machine, anyone know of one? Thanks! 2016 machine/Chevy
Make sure your shaft is perfectly aligned, break in clutch properly by turning on and off 40+ times after install and keep all filters clean.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've had electric clutches or brakes wear out in a lot of different machinery, but relatively few CDS clutch failures. It's possible that failed driveshaft bearings could cause a clutch to slip and fail, but the blower is probably more of a strain.

Lube the blower at the end of each day.
Get an "eighteen inch extension" for your grease gun to make shaft lube easier.

Replacing a clutch isn't hard. The biggest pain is getting a serpentine belt back on by yourself. It's way easier with help.

I don't know, but I don't think a bad clutch would take out one battery cell. More likely it's just just time for a new one. Factory batteries are only good for the warranty period anymore.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
We've had electric clutches or brakes wear out in a lot of different machinery, but relatively few CDS clutch failures. It's possible that failed driveshaft bearings could cause a clutch to slip and fail, but the blower is probably more of a strain.

Lube the blower at the end of each day.
Get an "eighteen inch extension" for your grease gun to make shaft lube easier.

Replacing a clutch isn't hard. The biggest pain is getting a serpentine belt back on by yourself. It's way easier with help.

I don't know, but I don't think a bad clutch would take out one battery cell. More likely it's just just time for a new one. Factory batteries are only good for the warranty period anymore.
Thanks for the feedback. I do lube all the fittings on shaft, and blower with Mobil Delvac grease. What a learning curve that was, got it down with needle nose pliers to assist. The blower seems fine when I was able to rotate after clutch was out. If the blower was straining would I be able to rotate back and forth, and no sign of wobble? Feels fine but not tested yet under higher rpm. Really hoping this is wear and tear issue. Im also shocked at how much a spark plug job is on this van costs, figured get it done before spring. Had an issue at 20K miles with gapping and misfire on a cylinder, that was no fun either in the peak of season to deal with.

Reactions: Rob Grady

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Thanks for the feedback. I do lube all the fittings on shaft, and blower with Mobil Delvac grease. What a learning curve that was, got it down with needle nose pliers to assist. The blower seems fine when I was able to rotate after clutch was out. If the blower was straining would I be able to rotate back and forth, and no sign of wobble? Feels fine but not tested yet under higher rpm. Really hoping this is wear and tear issue. Im also shocked at how much a spark plug job is on this van costs, figured get it done before spring. Had an issue at 20K miles with gapping and misfire on a cylinder, that was no fun either in the peak of season to deal with.
Sooo then what is the procedure you
Guys use to set the field-magnet clearance......
Using a Pitts clutch?

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Sooo then what is the procedure you
Guys use to set the field-magnet clearance......
Using a Pitts clutch?
Ogura brand clutch, it is the stock clutch for this machine. Understand to burnish with 40 or 50 start stop (30 seconds run time on start). Is that what you mean by setting field-magnet clearance?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ogura brand clutch, it is the stock clutch for this machine. Understand to burnish with 40 or 50 start stop (30 seconds run time on start). Is that what you mean by setting field-magnet clearance?
No....I'm talking about the original clearance on assembly

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
First time I changed my 120 inch serpentine it took 2 hours and I was pissed off. But slowly over time I learned to ..relax and....enjoy the adventure. So now it only takes me 15 min, : )

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
So in a different post about a new heat exchanger bought from hydromaster, I went to look. Clicked on the link and took me to Hydramaster home page. I searched "heat exchanger" and an awesome link came up on servicing the Salsa. And they claim a clogged up Salsa is a reason for clutch failure and stress it will get the new one if not cleaned. The video they provide is perfect to do at home. Im in the middle of the process and will be done tonight. Letting it dwell. I searched for that before on YouTube and never seen it. Seems pretty spot on. This board has been very helpful.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
So in a different post about a new heat exchanger bought from hydromaster, I went to look. Clicked on the link and took me to Hydramaster home page. I searched "heat exchanger" and an awesome link came up on servicing the Salsa. And they claim a clogged up Salsa is a reason for clutch failure and stress it will get the new one if not cleaned. The video they provide is perfect to do at home. Im in the middle of the process and will be done tonight. Letting it dwell. I searched for that before on YouTube and never seen it. Seems pretty spot on. This board has been very helpful.
Give us some time and we'll piss you off.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We used to have clutch failures with our Butlers when we did water damage restoration. When extracting a lot of standing water, it puts a heavy load on that clutch and can cause them to fail. We learned to make sure to work at it slowly and make sure there was decent amount of air along with the water.

A defective pressure release valve can also contribute to a failed clutch.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Best of luck . Great tip from Oz on the extender as well . Lots of great tips from old pro's here .Regards !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom