17.00 - Love Seat
13.00 - Lazy Boy
12.00 - Futon
0.15 - Per Square Foot ScotchGuard
13.00 - Per Bedroom ScotchGuard

Are any of these too high or low?

Name
I'm Rick James
How did you come up with your prices? How much is your cost of doing business and what kind of equipment do you have?

Tell us about your operation?

Crazymcnick

I came up with the prices by looking at other peoples websites.... right now I'm just a straight newbie but on Weds I'm putting in my order getting a RotoSoaker with the CFX and a Defender. I know a lot of people don't really like the Rotovac but I have to get the CFX because I can't get a Mytee to fit into my buick. How do those prices seem... I'm in Chicago near Park Ridge very rich area and a ton of houses by me. I have probably 15,000 houses within a square mile.

Name
I'm Rick James
Crazymcnick said:
I came up with the prices by looking at other peoples websites.... right now I'm just a straight newbie but on Weds I'm putting in my order getting a RotoSoaker with the CFX and a Defender. I know a lot of people don't really like the Rotovac but I have to get the CFX because I can't get a Mytee to fit into my buick. How do those prices seem... I'm in Chicago near Park Ridge very rich area and a ton of houses by me. I have probably 15,000 houses within a square mile.

What about you have you ever cleaned carpet before/? Whats your knowledge in this industry.

The rich folks might not be to impressed when you roll up in a buick.

Name
I'm Rick James
Great idea on the class. Why did you decide to open up a carpet cleaning company?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Those prices will keep you in the BAD parts of town.

Cheap prices=dirty cheap people=who refer you to other cheap people=call backs to reclean=NO MONEY made

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
probly want to double or even triple your prices, way too low cost of living is high in the chi town. what you will find out not charging enough will be that your equipment will breakdown , you will run out of chems, and you will not have cash to the side to address those issues and to expand your business. you will also need to build your business a bit and get into at least a minivan with a sighn instead of the buick. take the jon don class for carpet then make sure you take the upholstery class it will pay for its self in spades 8) also you need to try and get at least one or 2 air movers plus maybe at least a small 13 to 15 inch floor buffer with a scrubb brush and some bonett pads you can take the stem off the buffer and easaly fit it in trunk.

Fletch

I don't clean diving rooms; don't have the equipment to handle that amount of water! :wink:

Crazymcnick

This is going to be strictly a side job I'm going to be a Chicago Fireman in a few months so this I will be doing this on the side... The reason I decided to do this is my friends dad who was a fireman is now retired but he did this on the side and made great money he said... he said during the summer he was making more money on the side then he was at the firehouse.... I never asked him about how much he was charging though probably should do that!

Name
I'm Rick James
Crazymcnick said:
This is going to be strictly a side job I'm going to be a Chicago Fireman in a few months so this I will be doing this on the side... The reason I decided to do this is my friends dad who was a fireman is now retired but he did this on the side and made great money he said... he said during the summer he was making more money on the side then he was at the firehouse.... I never asked him about how much he was charging though probably should do that!

Thanks. To be honest I would get a astro van instead of a buick. Image is very important. If they see you rolling up in your car, they wont be impressed. Then its tougher to make a good impression with them. They most likely wont tell their friends and referrals is a big part of this industry. Keep your business easy to use, so there is no confusion with the customer. Think of a good name. Your friends dad is a great place to start. Dont be afraid to ask questions no matter how stuiped you think they are.

minuteman

Duh !!
And if your going to be a Fireman go buy a Van and put a sign on it, get a uniform, make yourself look like a Pro.

Greg

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Crazymcnick said:
How much do you guys charge

I was thinking something along these lines

21.99 - Per Bedroom
0.25 - Per Square Foot for Rugs
0.25 - Living Rooms,
0.25 - Diving Room,
0.25 - Hallways
1.95 - Per Stair
5.00 - Per Spot Removal
25.00 - Sofa
17.00 - Love Seat
13.00 - Lazy Boy
12.00 - Futon
0.15 - Per Square Foot ScotchGuard
13.00 - Per Bedroom ScotchGuard

You are making it too complicated: If you want to charge sqft then stick with all sqft. Such as say make it at least $0.30/sqft for that area. Don't touch upholstery until you are trained on it and I would not be touching rugs either. You can get yourself into alot of problems in those area with out good training and proper equipment. If y ou want to do rugs at all. Get in contact with a local rug plant and see if they will offer you a discount to bring rugs in. then you can offer your clients rug cleaning at a premium above your discount that would cover your cost to pickup and deliver the rugs from their house to the plant and back and still make some good profit with out screwing up rugs and without any overhead for equipment.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Crazymcnick said:
How much do you guys charge

I was thinking something along these lines

21.99 - Per Bedroom...........................we dont charge per room
0.25 - Per Square Foot for Rugs....................0.85 per sq ft
0.25 - Living Rooms, ..........................no per room
0.25 - Diving Room, ..........................no per room
0.25 - Hallways...........................................
1.95 - Per Stair ...................................2.50 each and we count landings as 2 steps
5.00 - Per Spot Removal.........................included in our pricing of the job
25.00 - Sofa ..........................................10.00 per sq foot and add on for more than 6 cushions..add to price depends on size and condition of cushions
17.00 - Love Seat.....................................10.00 per sq foot and same as above for cushions
13.00 - Lazy Boy........................................see above
12.00 - Futon.............................................see above
0.15 - Per Square Foot ScotchGuard...............0.25 per sq foot
13.00 - Per Bedroom ScotchGuard.................dont price per room

Crazymcnick

Thanks for all your input as far as getting the Van being a Fireman its going to be a few months minimum before I am a Chicago Fireman I'm the next class the academy so who knows when that will be since there is a class starting in A couple weeks so I won't be able to afford a van right now... right now I work on a private ambulance and they pay us close to nothing... Anyway thanks again

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
you're in a rich area so if that is your target market you have to have "value". You don't want to appear cheap, as other posts have indicated. KNow your equipment and how to use it. If you're going to do it right, get a vacuum as well. Take your time and charge enough that you can take your time. Work out ALL your expenses and charge enough to make a profit. Your prices do look low, easier to start with a little higher price (based on my own hindsight) than have to raise your prices later. Rich people will pay but they want good value for their buck adn they want to know they are not being ripped off. Be consistent, by the room or by square foot. You can either adjust the price for traffic areas or figure out actual cleanable sf.

Ellen Rohr has free books online, Where Did the Money Go, and How Much SHould I Charge. barebonesbiz.com

AS a newbie you need to get your look down, cards, invoices, fridge magnets, info sheets, etc, all having the same look as if you were a franchise. You can do that from your own computer at first.

Have a uniform, if only work pants and an embroidered shirt with your name and company name on it. Embroidery shows more "permanence".
Having the rotovac equipment may give you an edge, give you something to market.

Pick up some sticky tabs, a lift buddy, styrofoam blocks, sliders.
2 good pumpup sprayers/battery sprayer, 2 grooming brushes, one for prespray and one for protectant
You'll need a good upholstery tool, and know how to clean fine fabrics, upper scale homes will have good furniture. Network with someone that you can take area carpets to have them cleaned.
If you are running a porty, network with some truck only guys, they may pass you some highrise work.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
not at all...we charge .40 per sqft and are getting ready to raise to .45 per sqft..
up scale customers know that you get what you pay for..do you see them driving a
10k dollar car or driving a 50k dollar car? they wouldnt even look at the more
inexpensive car because they want all the quality that comes with the
higher end car..same as services in their home..as long as you can provide it
they will pay it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
is this guy one of the alias Mike auctioned off???

$17 dollars to clean a sofa...
working out of the back of Buick
15,000 "rich" peeps homes in a square mile...

yessir-ree, you'll be farting thru silk in no time, son......

..L.T.A.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
This guy has to be a joke.

If not the Fire Dept must have really lowered their standards on who they let in.

A flaming bag of dog poo on the front porch might be too complicated for him.

Do everyone a favor and get into Avon and stay out of our industry.

Name
Nate W.
MicahR said:
This guy has to be a joke.

If not the Fire Dept must have really lowered their standards on who they let in.

A flaming bag of dog poo on the front porch might be too complicated for him.

Do everyone a favor and get into Avon and stay out of our industry.

Paging Brian Robison!! :twisted: :lol:

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
He may not be, I know a guy in Dallas that is a fireman with his cleaning business on the side. Great guy too. Met him at SFS in Roselle last October 08 along with Mikey's favorite Greg Cole.

-JB-

Name
JB
Sorry but my

BSmeter.gif

is going off.

Name
I'm Rick James
If he is a fake poster then he is not being very creative. Kinda lame. I first worked out of my tbird with a portable many years ago.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
minuteman said:
Ron U told Him Everything, How Could U !
E a s y , I j u s t t y p e d o n t h e k e y b o a r d . :roll:

I started with a Cheyenne in the back seat of a VW Jetta. The pits when going on a date, my wand and groomer were in the passenger side and chems in the trunk. Couldn't just jump in the backseat!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom