How bad is it for you?

Rob Hobson

How bad is it for you?

I can't buy a carpet job. I called a lady that was due for a 6 month cleaning and she said " Its get my carpets cleaned or get my kids Christmas" I am not on that list, as I should be.

I have had to take a night time Security guard job. It sucks and is very humiliating.

I used to feel I was someone, but with the rent a cop uniform on I hang my head in shame. :) :oops:

Who has had to take a second job?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
There is no shame in doing whatever it takes to provide for your family. Hang in there. You'll be sucking cat piss and caked on dog diarrhoea like a proud carpet cleaner again.

Chris A

Name
Chris
things have been slower, but not scary slow, were still moving along ok, just not at full pace. Its gonna be a mac'n'cheese winter, but hopefully I at least won't have to sleep in my brand new cleaning van :shock:

Rex Tyus

January-Sept were at 05 sales volume. October was flat and we had the best November ever (partly to the extra week before thanksgiving and partly to the fact fuel prices have dropped). December is gonna be about like last year as it is shaping up. I will be beating the streets and whoring my service in January. 08 has taught me humility. I will not be caught unprepared in 09 like I was in 08.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
It's not scary slow for me yet. I'm still a new company so it's kind of hard to judge. I'm up 47 percent year to date but November was the first month were I was down from last year. I'm going to be up this month but that's not saying too much because last December was really bad. I should pass it's numbers by the end of the week.

TimP

Like Joey I'm a new business. But I think I've flat lined. I had a good week before thanksgiving. But after I've got squat for work. I had one job today and a fix job for a very picky customer that paid a lot of money. Anyway I got 1 in the morning then that's it. Dead as can be and no phone calls what so ever. Last december I think was ok. So I don't know what's going on.....bad economy I suppose.

I'm just hopeing that as christmas comes that I'll have a huge week before.....we're starting to get into 2 weeks before.....

Rex Tyus

On the brighter side I have had more people tell me this year they are waiting till after the holidays. Maybe a stronger January? Even my own mother said she was waiting till Jan. The cost of the cleaning is certainly not the factor with her as like I am sure of everyones mom on here, She gets her carpet cleaned for free.

TimP

I had one say that after christmas they wanted me to do the rest of the house since I cleaned part of it before thanksgiving. I can only dream of a good january......last year it was awful. However I'd rather have a swamped january than december mostly because there is more time. Secondly because I have a vaction planned in december. I guess I may have to whore myself out like rex for like 15 cent a ft or something like that.....to find non residential work.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Once the trees go up...
we're dED mEAT......................................................................_______________________________________________________________________!

TimP

I did one this year that I did after the tree was up....I think this year they figured out that having a tree put up and leaving a dirty spot all year wasn't a good idea.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I work another job, I have to put in 800 hours per year to get the union pension and I am half way there.
Funny thing is, about 6 weeks ago I told my wife NOT to book any carpet cleaning jobs until after January because I was working 60 to 70 hours at the other job and making damn good money. Right after that we started getting calls from larger
commercial jobs that we had pretty much written off for the year-maybe trying to spend some left over money I guess?

Anyways, she ignored me as usual and I will be busy until the first of the year.

At least the kids will have a good Christmas. 8)

Mikey P

Administrator
NEW YORK – A stock market gaining in confidence shot higher for a second straight session Monday as investors bet that President-elect Barack Obama's plans to increase spending on public works projects will help lift the economy back to health. The major market indexes jumped more than 3 percent, and the Dow Jones industrials' nearly 300-point advance gave the blue chips their highest close in a month.

The rally, which gave the Dow a two-day gain of almost 560 points, extended a period of relative tranquility on Wall Street. The Dow and the Standard & Poor's 500 have risen in nine out of 11 sessions as investors have absorbed bad economic news without signs of the panic that rocked the market for much of the fall.

Obama's plan calls for the largest U.S. public works program since the creation of the interstate highway system a half-century ago. That could bolster the economy by putting thousands of people to work building schools and other construction projects.

His weekend announcement gave a lift to a range of companies, from machinery makers to materials producers. Alcoa Inc., the world's third-largest aluminum producer, surged 18 percent on the news; while heavy-equipment maker Caterpillar Inc. jumped 11 percent.

Investors also grew more confident as the government neared a deal to dole out billions to America's three biggest automakers. The White House said during Monday's trading that it was "very likely" to strike an agreement with Congress on funneling money to General Motors Corp., Chrysler LLC and Ford Motor Co. The package was expected to total about $15 billion.

Spurling

Since my wife is 100% owner of the business and Im a legally paid employee .. I wonder if I could collect unemployment benefits?

G

totally dead here in syracuse new york. i called 180 people last two weeks i generated 3 jobs totaling 380.00 here are some of the reasons. no one home left tons of messages-we will call you in the spring-we are waiting untill after the holidays-ill ask my wife ill call you back-ill ask my husband ill call you back-my husband just got laid off- the economy is bad cant afford it- christmas is comming its just not on our list-it totally sucks here did 2 jobs today and there is nothing in site. so any of you guys who are saying your doing 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 jobs a day tell me a nother story. i would never believe it

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am running 3/4 days...about 4 jobs and I am full till Christmas....
Normally about this time of year I am pushing sun up till sun down.....Everyone is feeling the pinch and January and February for most are the slowest months of the year....it is going to be pucker time real soon......

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Been gettin alot of minimum residential jobs lately. Pretty well booked for tomorrow but we will see how the week goes.

Nov was set to kick some butt, but I ended up just barely making my goal.
High hopes, gonna get out and sell, sell ,sell.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I lost a few big contracts as I wasn't willing to change my pricing structure. 2 came back with service issues from the new providers and I've picked up a gob of residential with a mail out. I took a small hit on pricing for a "special", but I picked it on the up sales and I've farmed a bunch of new clients. The mailer was $2000 and I'm sitting at a gross of 2800 with another 1500 on the books pre tree and still getting calls. Not really gonna turn a monster profit at .20 for a door opener, but it beats sitting around when it's slow. Commercial is off big time.

hogjowl

Idiot™
It's tough right now for me, too. I thought I was through with this type of stress.

People believe Obama is the savior and as a result of that I think we may see a change in the psychology of this after January. Who knows ... we may talk ourselves right out of this recession.

RLitwin

I'm fairly busy. I have been most of this year. I'm off last year's number about 12%. Last year was my best year ever.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Step outside the box and go hide from your ego.

If your sending the same post cards, talking to the same people and have the same ego as Joe Blow then your going to get the same response.

Get creative

Jay D

Name
Jay D
You guys are talking like a bunch of starving carpet cleaners, no wait thats a postcard that doesnt work in jan and feb. Oh well. :|

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have been slacking! That is THE only reason i'm slowing down... I did just sent a letter out to 120 of my best cheerleaders, though. We will see!

BRSUMMERVILLE

I've been delivering pizzas. In the past three months, there were two attempts by punks trying to rob me. Both attempts failed. Both times these punks found out, I'm no easy mark.

Bob Rock

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
BRSUMMERVILLE said:
I've been delivering pizzas. In the past three months, there were two attempts by punks trying to rob me. Both attempts failed. Both times these punks found out, I'm no easy mark.

Bob Rock
I hope you're kidding Bob, but if your not, I would be hitting some offices during the day and find some work for the evenings. Pays much better than delivering pizzas. I'm keeping busy with empty rentals, repeats and some new customers from referrals. Plus a radio spot on the weekends.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
no problems. Having a real good december. upholstery is up big time. Carpets are holding steady, t&g nothing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom