Hey, all you old timers, help me out here..

John Watson

The company I went to work for in Alaska was charging .20 for carpet and.10 for protector. It also was 1980

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
Late 60's yearly 70's was the change over from foam shampoo to portable extractor. I remember .10 to .15 PSF. That was good money then. 37 years later it should be .80 to .90 PSF

And I am Not an old timer!!!

Mikey P

Administrator
Late 60's yearly 70's was the change over from foam shampoo to portable extractor. I remember .10 to .15 PSF. That was good money then. 37 years later it should be .80 to .90 PSF

Exactly...
Why is it that only CCing has not gone up in price?

Every other service has as far as I can tell.

Could it be because the industry is befuddled with laid off line workers, janitors and K Mart cashiers?

.25 is the average price in my area just like it was 20 to 30 years ago.

If I can accomplish only one thing with this board.....

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I heard the reason carpet cleaning prices haven't been able to rise with everything else is because the price of carpet has not gone up.

The guy I bought my TM from was charging 0.25psf for cleaning in the 80's.
If the dollar value halves every 10 yrs, then in 90's should be 0.50, 2000 should be $1. Considering the post about raising price to just 0.60psf, it's not likely many will be charging a $1 any time soon.

the 60s

Mikey,

.06 to .08 was nice income in the 60s.

Here is why.

Gasoline .35 per gal.
Feed your family for 20.00/week
A new Lincoln 4,000.00
My first house cost 7,400.00
Indian Chief M/C 700.00

Bought a new Mooney airplane for 12,000.00

Wife did not have to work to support family.

Whoever stole Marty's pig needs to fess up and return him,kidnapping charges are pending.

Good luck, Judson

G

Mike,

The reason Carpet cleaners don't get that much more than the 70's is because they are not businessmen. They are just technicians with technician mentality. They really don't know how to run a business or understand the true costs of running a business. They don't know how to do marketing or are afraid of it.

Dave

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Early 70's .10sq/ft :cry:

steamgenie.jpg

By the mid 70's we were up to .15 WOW!

I think this was 1974-75, our first TM, I was 16-years old.

Notice I was leery of the propane and had my assistant in front of me for protection! LOL

steve r

worked for CD in mid 80s in south suburbs of chicago, $0.35.and we were or i was busy everyday. i worked in dave rampages market and i think he could get over $0.60 all day, or at least i think i could.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The first few jobs I did in late '60s and early '70s I just bid $X, not be the sq. ft.

1976 - 1979 we were at .14 cents a sq. ft. During 1979 we went up to .16.

Scott Warrington

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Mikey P said:
And how much was new carpet back then?
I was buying the cheapest carpet for my mobile home back then. It was around $2.75 per sq. yd. The better quality stuff was going for $5 to $8.

That was from memory, but I believe it to be accurate.

Scott Warrington

Greenie

I'm waiting for the low end pricers to justify, nowadays we are more efficient, and just plain faster, have better chemistry, tools more powerful units etc...

Never mind you should be rewarded for using the best stuff by commanding higher rates, then again there are guys still running a cotton bonnet and a shampoo rig.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Greenie said:
I'm waiting for the low end pricers to justify
:lol: hilarious and at the same time, no doubt sadly true :cry:

thanx --- Derek.

Greenie

I love national "average" suveys....I'm just envisioning the "average" rug sucker filling them out.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I started with a $5000 Steam Way 400 machine in 1970. Since steam cleaning was new most people and carpet cleaners didn't even know what it was. That helped get more money than others. Started at 15 cents per square foot, but later dropped it to 12-13 cents and sometimes 10 cents for commercial or a special for the first 200 sq ft.

Had a $20 minimum, though I can remember dropping that at times to $15.

I got my Steam Way Turbomatic truck mount with the kerosene burner, number 5 blower and auto pump out 1in 1978. I do remember being at 23 to 25 cents per square foot in 1984 when I sold out and moved to California to start over at 15 cents per square foot with a Powermatic.

Now our price is 45 cents and up. I wish I knew then, when I was young a stupid, what I know now. Could have made a lot more money over the years. You new guys have it made with all that is available to you to become successful.

Loren

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Dave Rampage said:
Mike,

The reason Carpet cleaners don't get that much more than the 70's is because they are not businessmen. They really don't know how to run a business or understand the true costs of running a business. They don't know how to do marketing or are afraid of it.

Dave

I disagree and agree. I can't speak for other areas but here there are at least 7 companies with multiple trucks (3 or more) and every single one of them run the same prices, average about $20 per room. These guys are businessmen and they know how to market. Where I agree with you is the other 50 cleaners (single truck operators and not businessmen) think that to get work they have to undercut those larger companies, so they run around charging $15-$20 per room. Bottom line is you have to figure what market you want and go after it and if you choose to be the lower price you need to get to multiple trucks and employees asap.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
what is wrong with 1500-2000 a week for less than 25 hrs?

danpauselius

John, did you actually fit in that van, LOL.

Or did they make you lay down in the back next to the OP machines?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom