Hello, I'm a newbe here

A.J. Simpson

Hello all,
My name is A.J. Simpson and I just stumbled upon this site.
I'm not a professional like most of you, but I do have an interest in learning for my own self interest.
About 15 years ago I did own a small one man band auto detail shop in North Jersey. At the time I had to be one of the few guys around that actually owned a portable carpet extractor. I believe it was a Castex machine, and the only reason I remember that is because today I saw one on Ebay that looks exactly like the one I use to own. Back in the day I paid $2,500 for it new with all the attachments.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself.

The shop eventually folded, and my beloved machine some how got lost. I've always missed it because in my view, having a personal extractor is invaluable, and I'd like to get another one.

A lot has happened in the world over the past decade with most things coming out of China and the quality of everything has diminished greatly. Ask me how I know. I spend the majority of the year living in China & sourcing product for different companies.

I'd really appreciate any guidance that I could get from this community in terms of buying a good quality machine for personal use. Maybe I should qualify that question. I'm looking for a commercial grade machine that won't break the bank. Used is fine as long as it's a quality unit.

like I said, I had a machine which I believe was at least commercial grade entry level.

Do you guys have any favorites to recommend?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, A.J.

Ryan

Welcome to the forum.

Mytee M-5 100% made in the USA and top quality.

A.J. Simpson

I appreciate the quick response.

Other than the machine being made in the US, is there any particular reason that you suggested this model over another?

I initially tried to do a forum search before bothering you guys with what must be a subject that's been covered 1000 times. Since it was my first time logging on I found it a little tuff trying to get my bearings. So, I do apologize for the elementary question.
I have had some cleaning experience in the past with my detail shop, and when things were slow I would load my little machine in the back of my truck and do carpets and furniture inside peoples homes.
I didn't have a built in hot water element, so the first thing I did was head to their basement and turn their hot water heater up all the way.

Next, I'd move whatever furniture that was in the way, vacuum real good, spray my pretreatment and then use a stiff long handled plastic plastic brush to scrub the carpet. Once that was all done, the hot water heater was good to go, so I'd fill my machine and get down to business.

Man, was that hard!

Living in North Jersey at the time I had customers in mid town NYC as well. I was really surprised at the amount of repeat business that I had. I guess with people being home most of the time and seeing what extra efforts I would take to do a good job, that made all the difference.

I can't say that I made allot of money doing it, but I was charging the same as the big guys & sometimes more. People are funny that way, I guess I'm not much different. When I see a guy busting his ass, and taking pride in his work, it makes me feel like I'm getting my monies worth. Discussing a price on the phone can turn into something quite different, just by the way you enter someones home. Despite what some may thing, people see through the bullshit, and even if they don't, a person can feel how their being handled.

Thanks, A.J.

Back
Top Bottom