Getting started with a portable.

rick imby

Name
Rick
I just spent 6 weeks in the Philippines and their outlets are totally whacky too. 240v only no 120.

My phone and both my computers were plug and play there---120v to 240v was in the fine print on the adapters. My hair clippers adapter is 120v only---I had to use the 120 inverter at my buddies house.

While I was there one of the workers plugged in the 18v battery charger for his battery powered tools. The charger toasted on 240.
He has several tools for this system that are out of commision until he gets a new charger. I found the charger for sale on ebay so his system is not toast.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Willy P

Name
Willy P
4 circuits with the heater. Powerflite is 3, but the vacuum isn't as good. It just becomes easy after a while. It came with 2 cords but one was drawing over 25 amps so they had to be split. Never used a stove or dryer plug set up before.

Name
Marcus
Bullshit and utter ignorance. Sometimes it's best to keep quiet and be thought of as a fool then to type and remove all doubt. You want to make a bet on that? Didn't think so.
Specs on vacuum and heat speak for themselves....
Easier setup for large jobs...only one setup for truckmount......

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
actually, there are adapters that you can get to plug a 220 volt appliance into the adapter which has 2 110volt cords that plug into 2 separate circuits giving you the 220 that you need. I think Steambrite might sell them.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Specs on vacuum and heat speak for themselves....
Easier setup for large jobs...only one setup for truckmount......

Reading and comprehension obviously aren't your strong suit.....

Attachments

• phil_the_ignoramus_zps09wn59ac.jpg
    phil_the_ignoramus_zps09wn59ac.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I have always been a fan of the "stick-n-move" philosophy in regards to porty operation.

I have become pretty good at surveying a layout, and determining a basic game-plan in regards to how I am going to cover the most ground in the most efficiently way, while minimizing the number of times I will have to reposition my machine.

Seldom do I have to reposition more than once in most apartments, and rarely more than a couple of times in most average homes.

I like to zero in on the optimal first staging position of the unit, where I able to bite off the largest amount of area which includes the furthest areas from "home" (usually being the bathroom or other water source), and work my way back.

As far as I am concerned, nothing kills your mobility like being tethered to a water source and a drain, and having to layout and manage generally longer hose-runs, and having to manage more than 2 cords, and deal with the additional time and potential problems that may arise from the need to provide additional, at times "elusive" separate circuits.

All this extra work and over-complication for such a small amount of addition heat, at generally lower flow.

Assuming your higher amp cord is ran to a bathroom or kitchen outlet using a 50Ft cord, which should be standard procedure for any porty hack, repositioning is as simple as unplugging your secondary, shorter, lower amp plug which is usually in close proximity, moving your hoses and machine, and plugging the second cord in, again, in any outlet in close proximity.

It's not rocket surgery.

Set up is a breeze, repositioning is a breeze, and breakdown is a breeze, and your not stumbling over spaghetti the whole time.

The only other tool to manage is my Oreck, which is just as easy as using a vacuum, and is easy employ as needed, and to be kept out of the way when not being used.

I think most would agree that although employing BOTH a higher heat set-up AND mechanical agitation when using a portable unit is obviously an ideal, but it is not something most portable users would find to be very efficient on a daily basis, therefore it comes down to having to choose between the two.

As I have always preached, for reasons that are to me very obvious, I choose the simpler, less problematic, mobile set-up, with a strong emphasis on the nuke-dwell-scrub trinity, as opposed to an overcomplicated, time consuming, tethered set-up, while under the delusion that an additional 40 degree's, at best, is going to be more effective than the combination of the right chemistry, and the forces of FRICTION.

One needs to look no further for clear evidence of the effectiveness of the combination of chemistry and the friction of agitation alone, then in the use of any of the popular low moisture techniques, whether a Cimex, jiggler, or other rotary machine, which Ofer no heat whatsoever.

Name
Marcus
It may be about same time on a apt on 2nd or 3 rd floor, but not much faster with a portable.
These are specs:
Truckmount: vacuum 400-450 cfm with a 4.5 blower
Portable : 100-200 cfm
Water flow: truckmount 1-2 gpm depending on jet size
Portable 1/2 a 1 gpm
Heat: 200 degree vs 100 degree portable
Waste tank: 100 gallon vs 10 gallon

rick imby

Name
Rick
This thread has been a great comparison between Willy and Frank, both accomplished porty users who have made great points in favor of their significantly different but well thought out methods.

Great input Frank and Willy. I think this thread has kinda answered the original question the thread was started with. Maybe not which machine to buy but different theories on using portable equipment.

Cleanworks your porty is cool....

Another guy on here uses a Rotovac 15 gallon CFX autofeed, autodump as a porch mount system often while his TM is within striking distance.---I forgot his name---. Would have been great to get his input also.

Funny how the advertizing by Rotovac has changed the Porty industry. The negative connotation put on Frank's Bucket Brigade system (by rotovac) vs Willy's Spaggetti Monster system. Both definitely have their positives and negatives.

Labeling a job as something that is a pain (Bucket Brigade) puts the picture in our mind of it being a bad thing when it really is not that tough.

Also calling a Rinse wand a Scrub wand in the Rotovac commercials.

Kinda reminds me of the job the Democrats have done on labeling the Rich and Greedy Republicans that do not care about the poor. But that point might be better off in the Blubber Room.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It all boils down to cleaning with TACT. You adapt your machines to the job at hand. For Nick and Maria who started this post looking for comparisons between several portables, we've gone way overboard on the subject but I hope they have gotten enough info to go down to their various suppliers and start comparing the features that are important to them for the work they need to do. I agree Rick, sometimes labelling makes things sound worse than they actually are. I don't see it as a chore when I have to use my portable instead of my tm but as an opportunity to make money that wouldn't be there if I didn't own that type of machine. It's just like I bought a couple of used brush pro's. I bought them for a particular job that I am bidding on. Because of certain situations in the building I am planning to use them in, I determined that they would be the best machines for that particular job. If it works out the way I hope, the job will end up being aprox $12-$16,000 with small jobs added on periodically. I have a couple of choices. I could just not bid on the job and move on and say I don't need the money. I could struggle with my existing equipment or I could try something new that may be more appropriate for the situation. It's not always about what's the most powerful machine, or detergent. It's about what's the right machine for the job at hand. When you see someone like Willy using 4 separate circuits (and that's not for every job) it's because he has learned what works for him and his customers. When we are doing suites, it's not like the old days when we had only 15 ft hoses and had to keep moving the machine, we use 35-50 ' hoses, often the machine stays in the hallway and never gets moved for the duration of the job. There is usually lots of power available nearby. Several outlets in the kitchen, more in the bathroom, hallway etc. I use 3 circuits regularly and if I wanted to use a rotovac or something a 4th wouldn't be hard to find. There are many ways to achieve great results and each to his own. Your customers will determine how well you are doing.

rick imby

Name
Rick
I would love to see @Art Kelley jump in and answer my porty questions too. He has a significantly different method than Frank and Willy I think.

Art??? .. My intent is to gain knowledge for potential cleaners. I am not making statements, these are all questions...

Your favorite Porty is ______ with ___________gallon tanks and two vac motors that are in parallel.

You use 25 or 50 or 75 feet of hose?

You like a 500 psi pump set at 350psi?

YOu auto feed hook up to the Shower or faucet?

You autodump most of the time in a Toilet? or yard?

You also use an inline electric water heater by Steambrite? 12? 15? 20? amp?

You also use a bucket heater 10, 20, 30 40%,of the time?

Does your porty use the heat from the vac motors to help heat water?

YOu use 3 or 4 outlets with 15 amp, 15 amp, 20 amp??? draw?

You have 6 or 8 or 10? porties in your garage in differing stages of disrepair?

You have two? setups ready to work and in your van?

You agitate with A. your 175, B. a rotary extractor, C. your wand, D. Orek Orbiter, E. your Wits

You would be able to clean 30, 50, 70% of your jobs with a TM?

How often is your van parked a couple of blocks away and you have to haul gear a long ways like Goomer?

You and @Goomer and one other guy (with the 15 gallon CFX) seem to be the only dedicated long term Porty cleaners that admit to it.
I am normally just a smart A** so I thought your answers all in one spot might be interesting....

Art, I think you have had several different Porty setups, care to enlighten us? Thanks in advance...

Reactions: A.J.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
So you got those brush pros Ron- Wanna sell one? :biggrin: Call me tomorrow and I've got a few leads for you on those other things you were talking about.

A.J.

Name
A.J. Hodges
Someone wants me to bid 400 apartments tomorrow that get cleaned in a 2 week period in august every year. It's all high rise.
I'm considering placing a bid then buying a portable and another brush pro. I could pay for it all with en that 2 weeks of death

Name
Marcus
Haven't us d portable in 10 years, but I have cleaned hotels to 3 rd floor with a truckmount...
Also cleaned a 7 floor high rise with truckmount for the solution line and a portable with a pumpout to extract with...it worked well.
Cap

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
See if you get the bid first. Ps. Captain America, 7 stories is not a highrise. Go to the big city sometime and look up, waaaay up, those are highrises.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Haven't us d portable in 10 years, but I have cleaned hotels to 3 rd floor with a truckmount...
Also cleaned a 7 floor high rise with truckmount for the solution line and a portable with a pumpout to extract with...it worked well.
Cap
A WHOLE 7 stories? Did you use a sherpa guide? How was the air that high up ? Pretty thin?:oldrolleyes:

7 stories isn't a pimple on the ass of a high rise...Here's what high rises look like. Golly Gee WHILLIKERS! 7 WHOLE STORIES!

12996_zpsxzfvhnei.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Don't be an asshole...asshole! :biggrin:

Hey! Luke (Captain High Rise) Skywalker started it!:oldrolleyes:

I'm still marveling at that DARING 7 story climb - can you imagine that Richard?
The man must have buckets for balls!
(Boy wouldn't know a high rise from high heels)

7 WHOLE FREAKING STORIES!

Name
Marcus
7 floors in Texas is a tall building.
Unlike you guys in Canada we can actually see the sun down here
And the next town 10 miles away and the sunrise and sunset.
And we have civilized sports like football where if there gonna get there head knocked off
At least they have pads on....
Cap

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Everything's bigger in Texas

Not the buildings obviously.
7 floors in Texas is a tall building.

7 floors is a parking garage for a tall building here.

Unlike you guys in Canada we can actually see the sun down here

The sun never shines in Canada.:icon_cry:

And the next town 10 miles away and the sunrise and sunset.

Not 7 - count 'em -A WHOLE WHOPPING 7! miles away?

And we have civilized sports like football where if there gonna get there head knocked off
At least they have pads on....

1- Only women wear pads....
2-OH! Those kind of pads.- see number 1 (we play ice hockey naked, except for our skates.)

Cap

As I clearly stated earlier, you don't know WTF you're talking about in this thread-you're just spewing off topic. clueless ignorance. If you'd like, I can help educate you, but you gotta open your closed mind. Do carry on though, it's quite amusing.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
By the way what happen d to all the Canadian hockey teams this year?
Is (ARE) any gonna make playoffs?

Oh snap! Um, if you check the rosters you can find all kinds of Canadians, in fact a clear majority of the NHL is Canadian born. We just rent out our surplus to American based teams. I just checked out the Dallas Stars roster- 14 Canadians and owned by Tom Gaglardi- you guessed it. Another Canadian.
Try again Skywalker.

Last edited:
Reactions: rick imby

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom