Exit Stage Left....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Never put much away. My 6 kids lived like royalty, though! I have already retired at 49 from GM with a nice pension and bennies. I'm 62 now and collecting SS also. I'll probably work a little more than 5 years to keep the business flowing, and hopefully my Son will be able to retire early from GM also, and take the business. I can't stop working.....it will kill me. I have reduced the number of resi's I do now, and concentrate on the less troublesome commercial carpets.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I've read that Ecuador is the new 'go to' for expats. Don't know how true that is though.

Thailand would be awesome, but like you mentioned, corruption is an issue.

The problem with Ecuador is that they use the USA dollar as their currency... Thailand ISNT That Bad---Just keep under the "radar" and Don't open a Bar... Be Kind and Humble, and don't flaunt your wealth and all will be fine.

The New PM is really cleaning the place up and Has "Big Balls"! The King's Son-in Law was running the biggest mafia through his position as the head of Thailand's version of the "FBI or CIA"-- He and Many people are now in Jail!

I really like Nevada's tax benefits-- and who knows, maybe in the future --Nevada will be Beach Front Property.

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I hold that fund in my taxable account so no I have no intention of trading out of that position, as it will trigger a cap gains tax event.

Fred, why would I want one fund pre tax and one post tax?

I'm setting up a roth ira which is after taxes, I believe.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Fred, why would I want one fund pre tax and one post tax?

I'm setting up a roth ira which is after taxes, I believe.

Different theories on that.

Some of the questions are.... do you think tax rates will be higher in the future compared to now? Will you be in a higher tax bracket in the future compared to now?
Will the compounded interest of a post tax account overcome those increases?

:dejection:

Thats why its good to get a consultation from an expert to map this out and answer questions. Can just do a 1x fee, well worth it.

Reactions: dgardner
Name
Danny Strickland
I've invested a lot in 5 daughters. Right now 80% of my investment is in positive gains. Debt free and being the one responsible for my health (good diet, good source of water, proper sleep, controlled stress, exercise) is my retirement plan. I also put 10% with a 6% match into my account at work. I also have enough life insurance to ensure my family is debt free if I go early, along with insurance on each of my kids, God forbid, if one of them passes prior to me. Saving for my grand daughter is whats tough for me, as her parents would blow any $$$ left to her!! :frown:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Honestly dont think about it too much. Thats 20 more years for me, I'm in no hurry ...

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I've invested a lot in 5 daughters. Right now 80% of my investment is in positive gains. Debt free and being the one responsible for my health (good diet, good source of water, proper sleep, controlled stress, exercise) is my retirement plan. I also put 10% with a 6% match into my account at work. I also have enough life insurance to ensure my family is debt free if I go early, along with insurance on each of my kids, God forbid, if one of them passes prior to me. Saving for my grand daughter is whats tough for me, as her parents would blow any $$$ left to her!! :frown:

I see Richard already posted about a trust fund, but totally agree with him. Living revocable trusts are great because when you're living you still control everything and can change as you see fit. I have a few investments that gain a very small amount of compounding interest. The first one was started when I was 7 by a great uncle. My great grandma gave each of the great grand kids 7500 and that was put in an account and none of us have ever touched it. We can use it for education and gain control of it at 25. I plan to leave it there for another 20 years and could retire on that alone if I wanted. I also have a few other small investments, a rental property, my bank accounts, and a life insurance pay out all in a living trust. One of the investments is an education fund for my son.

You can put real estate, bank accounts, retirement accounts, vehicles, precious metals, collections like stamps, and life insurance all in a living trust.

When I kick the bucket, all of that gets signed over to my son. First my funeral expenses are paid from the life insurance, and the remaining goes back into the trust. If my son is under 18 his mom gets a monthly pay out from it. If he is over 18 a new trust is formed and he isn't able to touch the money until he is 25 years old, if over 25 he can do with it what he wants. Living revocable trusts are one of the easiest ways to make it easier on your family so they don't have to deal with probate of your assets. I went to a lawyer, said this is what I have, this is what I want to do with it and when I want it to happen. It cost me 2k but I have piece of mind that if something happens to me tomorrow, my son is taken care of and my family doesn't have to worry.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Don't forget "Divorce"

Oh yeah ...that's a part of life isn't it?

Oh yeah! - That took just shy of 1/2 of portfolio..................
I've saved 20-30% of every penny I've ever made since age 22. I will continue to do so until I retire.
I've always believed that you live way below your means now so you can live way above them when you retire.
I plan to retire at 50......

Reactions: rick imby

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Taco ... I got a really good feeling that you, Saiger and I will be here when everybody else it gone.
Yea what would I do at home anyway? I'll let the wife build up a chore list of a couple of years then retire. ;)

My father inlaw worked like a dog, retired and had a stroke within 6-months of retiring. I'm NOT retiring! :eekk:

F

FB7777

That incontinent POS will have to truck in his old saved diapers and wring them out

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom