Engine won't shut off - UD 1400

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
When i turn the ignition key off the fans and accessories go off but the engine stays running.

The only way i can stop the truck is to chock it out with the butterfly valve on the intake.

i've pulled every engine related fuse including the engine stop relay and yet the motor keeps running.

no nissan dealers in the state and every diesel garage told me tuff luck as they dont service nissan trucks.

i'm guessing the ignition switch but hate to waste time if thats not it.

what do you think?

ascrubabove

They are like a NPR, here is what to look for, raise cab, on drivers side behind frame look for a black plastic boz with one round end on it, there should be a cable and a wire harness going to it, follow the cable to the fuel shutoff, push or pull the lever it it atatched to and it will shut off the engine, the black box or the wire harness is the cause of your problem, the motor goes bad on them or the wire harness will short out in the connector, check the pins real good!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Key switch is bad..it has 2 settings..accessories and start..if the accessories is going off and the engine is not ..it is not sending the a signal to the relay to open....OR...

engine stop relay fused together........

the key switch could of shorted and took out the stop engine relay so one problem could of turned into 2.....

there is also a shutoff solenoid that could of gone out...

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
As stated above there is like a butterfly control on drivers side of engine a little over half wayback and Ibelieve you will push it towards the back to shut it down. Probably the wires going into the harness just before the engine shutoff which is located on frame near you pto . Should you need the motor let me know I have one of the shelf that may fit

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Kill motor. if it does not get the signal it wont activate and stop the motor. since you checked the solenoids that's what you are left with.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Thanks!

I replaced the stop motor relay ($14 Napa part) and it did not fix the problem.

I can see that the stop motor is not engaging.

No time to work on it this week but will keep you posted.

George

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
no kidding :lol:

I got another letter from the HOA a couple weeks ago saying that their going to start fining me for parking on the side of my house.

So, now i park my vortex on the street in front of my house.

I learned they have no jurisdiction over a public street.

the ball is back in their court now. their move.

I'll probably end up sueing them for something before it's all said and done with.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Most cities have a size and weight restriction as to what you can park on the street. I fought with my city too. They took me to court and I kicked there asses and won but that's rare. Only because the code enforcement jackass stuck his foot in his mouth and made it a discrimination and personal matter is why I won. Not to mention he was trying to say I couldn't bring my truck home to wash or even clean my own carpets.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
I think it's a broken cable on the stop motor.

When i giggle the cable it keeps comming out like it's not attached to anything.

Looks like removing the stop motor is going to be fun. It's located between the pto and frame.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
you should be able to grab the cable and pull up to kill motor. If it doesn't and comes out then yea its the cable. Push the arm on the stop motor to verify its properly functioning.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Dan said:
you should be able to grab the cable and pull up to kill motor. If it doesn't and comes out then yea its the cable. Push the arm on the stop motor to verify its properly functioning.

cool.

if the stop motor checks out ok do you know if the cable is replacable?

havent been able to locate a part # anywhere for just the cable.

is it possible to rig up a new non-OEM cable? maybe a motorcycle throttle cable or something similar?

ascrubabove

If the cable is bad on the stop motor end then you need the whole thing, if it broke off at the fuel shutoff lever then you could rig up an atatchment

skarekr0w

Name
Eric
I just ran a toggle into the cab from the fuel pump. Kills the engine instantly. It's an old UD so people have had to be creative with it over the years. The Alt is from a NPR, which took figuring out the wiring, gas guage doesn't work, so I keep it full, little things I've just learned to work with. Now, I replace 1 expensive part, and 2 expensive parts break... Fix 2 expensive parts and a complicated problem like the Brake Booster happens. Fix the Brake booster and the Turbo starts leaking oil.... I love my truck... Keep telling myself I'm going to get a handle on the situation... She's the most expensive, greedy girlfriend I've ever had.

Reactions: Mikey P

skarekr0w

Name
Eric
I couldn't tell you. Prior to me she was with a transmission repair, then before them she was with a Mexican towing company... Enough said, I suppose. I got a good deal on her, but she's got some issues and the parts are hard to find for a 94. You have to think outside the box. She can work though. F0r what I paid and what I have into her, it's still a good deal so I can't complain. I paid scrap value.

skarekr0w

Name
Eric
Her name is Crinkle. A previous owner had a "whoopsie" and well... I would hate to see the other car. Just last week I was buying a welder and some woman backed into the side of my truck, scratched my awful paint and crushed her bumper and tail light. It's a wrecker. (Her car, my truck is fine)

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

skarekr0w

Name
Eric
I can pull a 1 ton from behind, and suck in my lift, but if I pull it by the nose, it's too heavy, my brakes hate me and my front tires go air born =)
I've done it!

skarekr0w

Name
Eric
The thing with the 1400 is it's gutless up hill. You miss a gear or you're forced to slow down, you will not get that speed back until you start going back down. Great trucks, but they are built to pull, not race.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom