employee issues - need some advice

Driguy

Here goes

I did a ride along with a carpet cleaning company a couple weekends ago. The owner wants me to go along with his techs for a day to see what i think about their knowledge, work ethics, cleaning ability, customer handling, and how they work during the day. The catch is, the employee thinks I'm just a new higher, and I'm a semi experience carpet cleaner.

We have 3 jobs for the day. 1 commercial 1 empty town house 1 occupied.

We get rolling at 8am, and head out to the commercial. its standard CGD, we dual wand, takes 3 hours ( the tech is very slow at setting up the equipment). He doesn't measure his prespray as per dilution on the container, and uses the wrong combination for this type of carpet. 9.5 pH instead of 10.5 or 11 for Olefin. We get done with this job. he sits in the truck and i roll up 500 feet of solution, and vac, the tile tools we used, and put the truck back together. its now 12pm, and it took us 3 hours of actual work, 1 hour from 8-9 just waiting for him to feel like getting out of the truck.

job 2. empty town home. We get there and while the tech is talking to the realtor, he gets a call from owner. The owner says there was a set of microfiber couches, and 2 jacquard chairs that he cleaned, and the decking had browned out. He proceeds to argue in front of this client with his boss on the phone about previous bad work... the phone call lasted about 5 minutes with the realtor, check in hand is waiting for him to get off the phone... I clean the entire town house by myself, while the tech is out side on the phone dealing with personal problems, and calls from his boss about the call back we now have to do after this job.. we finish this at 3pm.

Job 2.5 We check out this set of furniture that has the browning on the decking material. The home owner is demanding replacement. The tech has 0 knowledge on how to take care of this problem. I check the truck to see if there were any reducing agents, or acid rinses we could try. We tried a strong combination of Acid rinse, with hot water, no chemical. His upholstery tool was leaking like a siv. The couch could not be saved with the tools we had present.

job 2.7 on the way to job 3, the tech informs me that ' heh you know i got in a car accident with the van the other day, and didn't tell the owner. a car rear-ended me and she didn't have insurance so, we said it was cool, and no report was filed. only damage to her vehicle was sustained ( totaled her vehicle on the ass of the carpet van), but you know don't tell the owner this................ ( what should i do? should i disclose this to the owner. This tech is his senior guy and brings in all most a grand a day.. )

Job 3. We start at 5pm. it is an entire house, and the carpets are filthy. if there was a scale that measured how nasty a carpet was. a 1 would be Brand new from factory. 4 would be the dirtiest apartment 7 would be a Chinese restaurant. and 10 would be this ladies house. ( melted candy, red stains every where. just .. vile.... So we spend 2 hours on this house, and during so the tech gets 40 phone calls and leaves me ( a guy who he presumes is his first day of part time work and only has minimal carpet cleaning experience to his knowledge. To clean this house). He got another call back, phone call. Saying he left a urine treatment area to wet, and its been wet for 3 days. He told the home owner, not to call the owner because he was in trouble for having screwed something up earlier, that he would take care of it... I finish cleaning the house.

Conclusion - it took us 10 hours to do 3 jobs. And the Tech told me pretty much everything his boss DOESNT want to hear...

I recently went over some of the points about his chemical usage, his selling technique, his appearance in front of customers, etc. but i have told him about the personal stuff that guy shared with me that is more then likely detrimental to his company... like the carpet van getting hit, and what he does on his personal time that may be illegal, that he uses the van for personal things etc etc etc.

Which wasn't the reason i was supposed to ride along. I was just there to critique his customer , and cleaning habits..

any advice?

Bob Foster

Tell all except for the personal after hours stuff except the van usage.

I would want someone to do the same for me.

Driguy

Will do. I think it will take some finessing... I did this as a favor to the owner..

Couldn't believe this tech gave me his life story + baggage

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Yeah it sounds like the owner wanted you to be his ears and eyes while he wasnt around and I think that you should tell him everything involving his company, good or bad. i think he will appreciate it.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
So basically you were a "mystery shopper"? Sounds like a good idea for many multi-truck operations to do. Better than a non-trained home-owner friend of the owner reporting in.

If you were placed there by the owner to report back do exactly that. This guy deserves what he gets. However, sadly, if he really is bringing in a grand a day the owner of the country will probably continue living in denial no matter what you tell him. money talks.

Steve

PS I sincerely hope that the tech you are going to deservedly "rat out" does not a) own any firearms, b) have any underworld friends or c) have a really hot temper. Either that or I really hope you used an assumed name and did not give him your phone number or home address.

G

Yup, put yourself in the owners place; tell him the things YOU would want to know if you were him.

Bob Foster

If with his attitude he was bringing in a grand a day imagine what a guy with a good attitude could do.

G

The way I see it, you made a deal, and knew you might see some bad
things, but took the assignment , so do the job you were ask to do!
And I say , no more then you were asked to do.
J.M.I.

Cheers, AL

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If I was the owner of the company and I trusted you to ride along and you did not tell me everything

I would have more of a problem with you for holding back then the tech for his stupidity.........

If this is his his senior guy and brings in all most a grand a day the owner has more problems then he thinks and his "tech" is costing him more money in the end......

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Another point I would touch on: Don't call and confront your technicians when they are on the road. You don't want to get your tech all riled up and then have them going into customer's homes. I have found that the best time for any type of confrontation is at the end of the day.

When I have to call and ask a technician questions, I ask if they are in a place outside of the customer's earshot that they can talk.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Jim Martin said:
If I was the owner of the company and I trusted you to ride along and you did not tell me everything

I would have more of a problem with you for holding back then the tech for his stupidity.........

If this is his his senior guy and brings in all most a grand a day the owner has more problems then he thinks and his "tech" is costing him more money in the end......

This is a good point Jim. One thing I think people are missing here is that he was asked to ride along. Regardless of how much this kid brings in, there is a reason the owner put you in that truck. Just think about that for a second.

I would tell the owner everything that effects the customer.

G

I have 3 full-time employees and if you did a ride along with one of my guys and found out this information I would want to know.

I don't think that it matters what you were sent along for you unfortunately got more info than you bargained for.

This one employees bad habits and techniques could easily rub off on other employees making it bad for the whole company.

Tell him.

Scott

Here's an idea:

Tell him you're struggling with something and would like for him to look at this topic. There's a lot of good input here.

Scott

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't believe that you really need our opinions on what is the right thing to do here. It's plain as day to anybody with integrity.

I think you just wanted to share your story with us.

It was interesting.

TimP

All I can say is this is the exact reason I will have a hard time ever getting off the truck and give someone else the keys to represent me. Employees generally don't care about the company and all they care about is their next pay check. It's employees like this that ruin the industry and take money out of all of our pockets because people start to think they would rather have dirty carpet than have to deal with the aggravation of dealing with drama not to mention the lack of results and expertise. Mikey has got it right, charge an arm and a leg and give them the best clean ever, that way you can make sure it gets done right and not have any need to run multiple trucks with hack employees.

RichardnTn

I certainly would want to know this if I had an employee doing this...... Send a link to this thread...that would be a kindness.... The guy needs to be given an opportunity to "get his ducks in a row" OR...........Richard R

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Damn Marty,
That Avatar is hilarious.

As to the subject, tell the owner everything. As an owner with employees I would want to know, especially if I had asked you to ride along and critique my employee. And I don't care HOW MUCH this chump was bringing in, as Jim said there are many problems going on here. This guy is ruining this company's reputation. His business will eventually fall off drastically if he keeps this guy on board.

diamond brian

If the guy is truly bringing in close to $1k/day, that would certainly cover a multitude of sins. However, I can almost guarantee that the joker in question is NOT the company's rainmaker.

I'm curious as to why you're working on a competitor's business rather than your own. I'm not trying to be facetious, but it seems odd--that's all.

Driguy

Absolute do the right and moral thing in this situation.

I just wanted insight on what every one thought about this topic.

mission accomplished. A TON Of good input on this subject.

RandyHilburn

You know, I'd tell him everything including his 'off the job' habits and routines. An employees 'off the job' activities will frequently impact the business and its reputation.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Just tell the owner to log onto Mikeysboard. I think he could learn a lot here.

Driguy

Being young, I feel i have learned at an early age the cost of bringing personal crap to work. I Definitely feel for the owner who has a small employee base, and has to rely on them for the income of his business. A lot of young guys do this kind of work for small carpet cleaning companies, and their problems can be quit detrimental to their respective companies.

How does one find good help in this business?

breathe72

Could not help myself on this one. So many things hit right on some of what I just went through last year....

Alot of good, sound info posted here on this issue.

However, I think Odin came closest to touching upon the real problem within this guy's company. The owner knows he has a loser for a tech. It is also safe to say that this tech's attitude, work ethic, will not change anytime soon, if ever. It is too late for the Owner to try & re-train his tech. Bad habits get cemented in.

So.... It ultimately is the owners fault for keeping this hack around. When it comes to bad help, expectations are really nothing more than pre-meditated resentments. Think about it. The bad tech, is just a bad tech. The owner who has a bad tech & keeps him around is far more the worst offender, because he can change that situation and is opting not to.

And this tech is not "bringing-in" a grand a day. He happens to be the monkey that finds the address, operates the machinery, & collects payment. The company brought in that money when the appointment was set.

Greenie

Just an observation: It doesn't appear he's a $1000 a day man, but only a $500/day man, it took two of you 10 hours to work that day, how profitable is that?

I think this owner needs some BRC systems in place, and maybe a trip to SFS. It starts at the top, not the bottom.

D

Dennis Klager

I'd tell the owner about all of it. I would want to know.

I'm betting this is not his only problem tech.

Problem is, in my humble opinion, it doesn't sound like the owner is capable of changing his techs' attitude, or finding anyone else with a better one.

My crystal ball tells me that the owners' attitude and M.O. need some serious attention before anything else will change.

But.....I could be wrong.

PS I feel better now. After I posted I saw that Greenie agrees!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom