door sealer. for winter is it needed?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
It gets kinda cold here in the winter. Is a door sealer worth it? What do you guys do? Do you just keep the customers door open for you hoses and let the cold air in. or what? And if i need one anyone know where to get one at?

RUGMAN1969

We use the door guard on every job regardless of weather. We make it a point to explain to the client what it is and why we use it. (This is a very positive moment of truth in the clients mind)
And yes it will keep the cold out!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
(think Tony the Tiger)

They're GGGRRRRREEEEAAATTTT!

we've used them forever in cold months
as already mentioned, yes they help keep the cold out

I think just about every disty lists them in their catalogs

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
brent said:
What are our options for door seals?

I only have experience with the one common in all the disty's catalogs

someone mentioned another one...similar in design, but think they said better construction or something like that.
I'm not positive, but i thought they mentioned Bane sells that one

..L.T.A.

-JB-

Name
JB
I usta use moving blankets, "back in the day" before the door sleeve came out, held them on w/those cheap-ass plastic clamps, worked fine, truth be told I think it mighta worked better. :?

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Door Gards are a must have if you run a TM. Suppliers were sold out of them about this time last year, get it now!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Worth the money just to show you care enough about their utility bill.

We use them year round, keep the cool air in in the summer is equally as important as the cold air out in the winter.

LeeCory

Every carpet cleaner should use a door drape for EVERY job. Keeps cold, heat, bugs.... in and out. Unless you want to be regarded as a hack to your customers you need a door drape.

Honestly I didn't know there were guys out there that didn't use them.

If you are interested in an easy to use drape, check out the Bane door guard.

Here is a pic. It isn't one of those goofy ones with the foam, it is simply material that covers the openings. It doesn't keep the door from opening, so you have to put a jug or something up against it to keep it shut.

Say NO to being a hack.

BaneDoorGuard.gif

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I guess it might be a nice touch for a 2 man crew. I have to KISS for now and don’t need one more thing on the truck just now. They used them when I was at SS. They didn’t care about their customers electric bill they used them to prevent a lawsuit due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

-JB-

Name
JB

Do theirs say "Because we care" on the m though! :roll:

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
LeeCory said:
check out the Bane door guard

I picked up a Bane door drape prior to this thread being written. Used it for the past few weeks now. I don't have any other to compare it too.. like the ones with foam in them? I heard those split/rip and the foam comes out so I gravitated to the drape style.

It works great, it's heavy and durable and takes all of about 5 seconds to install and stays securely to the door because of two elastic straps the attach around each side of the door's door knob. It folds back up in about 10 seconds and is quite compact which is what I like best about it.

I highly recommend it.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
dgardner said:

That's the one I've been using for over a year on every job. Seals up the door very well, roll a towel at bottom of door and place a bucket against the door to secure it. I beat the crap out of the door drape in my van and it still looks perfect. Naugahyde construction very tough well made.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ordered mine today. I usually don't do alot of jobs in the winter but even here in mid Dec it's been colder than normal and I always feel bad letting the cold air in. I guess I was a bigger hack than I thought. Well trying to work my way out of being a hack. Next spring its booties as well!

Name
steve snail
total waste of money. I have found that by propping the doors open during very cold weather the furnace will go into "overdrive" and dry the carpets much faster. The "wiz bang" factor of the huge amount of steam you create with the wand is also a huge plus. Just one tip learned at Jimmyfest this past year.

LeeCory

You know Steve I never looked at it that way before. Yes the furnace would go into hyperdrive and the steam affect would be impressive.

Not only that, but the cold winter air is usually VERY dry. It may even help to open the windows to allow that very dry air to pass over the entire home while you are working.

So for those that don't have a door drape, give it the extra effort and open the windows also.

Chris A

Name
Chris
And enjoy the added profit of a pipe burst, if you're a WDR guy...

steve r

ive tried them and now it sits in the garage.not saying i wont use it again though.i also have corner gaurds i dont use.all these things take time and working alone most of the time ive learned to do without.my customers never comment about it.

if i ran a two man crew and charged a little more i would probably use them.it could set you apart from the competition.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
steve r said:
ive tried them and now it sits in the garage.not saying i wont use it again though.i also have corner gaurds i dont use.all these things take time and working alone most of the time ive learned to do without.my customers never comment about it.

if i ran a two man crew and charged a little more i would probably use them.it could set you apart from the competition.

I'm as time and cost sensitive as any lone O/O (the corner guards are in a box in my garage) but the door searler takes 10 seconds to pop on the door and looks very professional. It assuages their fears about "the door being left open the whole time". Cool air conditioned air won't escape in the summer and bugs won't enter. Of course in the winter you have to block the freezing air from entering, and these offer the best option.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Several have mentioned using a chemical jug or tool box to keep the door closed with any Door Guard. Something we taught our techs to do was carry a new jug of Scotchgard (with the SG logo very prominently displayed) up to the door when they met the home owner. Then it was used as a "door stop" but also sold subliminally the whole time to the customer. Worked for us.

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

joeynbgky said:
got a cheap one from jondon about 85 bucks works great.
PS And by happy coincidence I just ran across this link:

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/advanced_ ... &x=13&y=10

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
LeeCory said:

BaneDoorGuard.gif

Link? I googled it and got National Guard, and a *** post about cornerguards. Not to mention the Target.Com link suggesting I find one at Target.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
B&BGaryC said:
LeeCory said:

BaneDoorGuard.gif

Link? I googled it and got National Guard, and a *** post about cornerguards. Not to mention the Target.Com link suggesting I find one at Target.

If you look back about 10 or 12 posts, there is already a link posted....

LeeCory

If people gave the Bane Door Drape a try I think they would find it is a very easy thing to use. It does not have a foam thing that wedges in the door opening, it is just a fabric drape that hangs over the door and folds up easy. I carry it in along with my work order and floor mat that I toss on the floor to step on when entering their home. You can tuck all of that under your arm...

Two things you need on every job if you care about your customers home.

1. Door Drape to put on the door if you use a truckmount

2. Something to toss on the floor of their entry to step onto instead of their throw rugs.

Even if you live in Florida or Arizona, a door drape is helpful to keep the flying cockroaches out... :)

Back
Top Bottom