Door Hangers

JMill

Name
Jeremiah Miller
I am looking for some honest feedback on my postcard/door hanger design. I am just starting out, thus I am swimming in uncharted waters!
View attachment 2002

I am also looking for what kind of results to expect from door hangers. Things like how many jobs per 100, what kind of response time should I expect (time from putting door hangers out to first call).

Any and all help is appreciated!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
It seems impersonal to me, Also No benefit, No USP, No Guarantee No call to action. Etc................... It's just price. Live by price die by price is not a game I ever want to play. What do you offer that is more important than price? Sell that and personalize it.

Last edited:

JMill

Name
Jeremiah Miller
Hey thanks for your input Dave. Again I am just starting out here and I have no background or experience in marketing.

So does anyone have some examples or ideas on how I can use Dave's suggestions?

Also, what is "USP"?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
a USP is : A Unique Selling Proposition or simply "What makes your business different from the rest.' Without one your business will be no different that another. Which leads a prospect to choose your business based on price. The trouble is: That means low price. As in treading water before you fail. Don't play that game. It's a losing proposition. Instead market the good things you offer and what makes your company different than the rest. Chem Dry does it with something as simple as bubbles. Other do it with a outstanding guarantee or equipment. It can be as simple as a smile and trust. What make your company different? Why should a prospect select your company from the pack? If done right you will be able to gather more clients from your USP than from having the lowest price and price shopper will select your company even though you have the higher price. Now put on your thinking hat and find your USP. BTW: A USP is usually explained in a 7 word or less slogan. Good luck!

Reactions: JMill

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Jeremiah

A slogan is just that. Customers are looking for results and action. Everyone says they are great show them.

This is carpet cleaning. We sell a product that is more of a commodity. We don't sell I-pads.

There are 6 things that will set you apart in the beginning from the 200 or so guys who probably call themselves carpet cleaners in your area.

I am coaching a guy from TN and he has a competitor in his area that when you Google him his rap sheet comes up. This is sometimes who is in our industry.

I have never focused on USP. Some would say I have one but I focus on great service for a fair price. We do what we say we will do period! I hate all the theory talk.

Here are the six things I would focus on in the beginning.

1. Show up clean cut short hair, no ink, no fishing tackle on your face, no baseball caps and dressed sharp in a full uniform. A polo with your logo on it, khaki pants and clean shoes. Shorts are ok in the summer months in my opinion. Dress khaki shorts no denim or athletic. WEAR A BELT AND TUCK IN YOUR SHIRT!

2. Answer your phone right away. Price over the phone to make it simple for the customer. Stanley Steamer does this and they became the largest company in the nation. When you show up to clean don't be all about up selling be all about service.

3. Stand behind your work in print and action. If you had a USP it might fall in here. A guy named Howard Partridge might have sewn up the best one here " To provide you with the most outstanding service experience ever!

4. Show up in a clean truck lettered up simple and clean. Look at the national franchise companies they have it figured out.

5. Have a selling system you go through with your service call. Plan for what will be happening. Here is a link to an article that might help you. Always ask for referrals if you have earned the right with great service.

http://www.cleanfax.com/articles/104570-set-your-technicians-up-for-success

6. Track the results of everything you do. Know what works from solid data. Do not just guess or say I feel this works. I use service monster for this.

We have used door hangers with limited success in our area. We are in the process of using a mailer doing the same thing. This of course costs.

We have done newspaper slot drops in select neighborhoods with limited results. 3 years ago I paid a girl to do this all summer. We broke even.

I would focus on asking for referrals from each of your customers. Did I say ask for referrals?

If you are in a small geography Can you own the internet? Many times you can really win here for cheap.

I love commercial work. I would make up a $50 gift card and go into large offices and ask to leave a stack. Doctors offices, dentists, insurance. You might while doing this have the opportunity to quote some commercial work. Do this in a shirt and tie. Again don't look like somebody's home boy, look like a professional.

Focus on Quality, Service and Price in that order. You want to set you price at start up slightly below where your top competitors are.

Do you know their pricing structure?

People are going to jump in here and say you must know your cost and don't set your price based on the market. I would disagree you have to know what the market will bear in your area.

You are trying to gain some market share so pricing is important if you intend to enter the market. Under cutting all the prices you see in print from your competitors is not a pricing plan. You must know what they are charging and why.

If I had it to do again I would hire the top 5 companies to come clean 3 rooms in my house. What you could learn in 2-3 weeks.

Do you know who the top 5 companies are in your area?
What are they doing to advertise?
How are they pricing?
What does their service system look like?
What do their employees and trucks look like?
What does their promotional materials look like?
How do they invoice?

If you have answers to those questions it should give you some idea of what works in your area.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks for not being afraid to chime in and utilize the brain trust here. you're a brave man in many ways.

But be a little braver and ask more for a staircase, they are a royal pain in the butt to clean correctly most of the time.

I personally ask and get $85 for a 13 stepper here in Norcal.

Reactions: JMill and TomKing

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Tom not to pick on you. But,saying you are the best, is not or should not be a slogan and it definitely is not a USP. (Almost every major service company has a USP of some sort. Remember, Like it never happened or Chemdry's bubbles) Also a mass produced I-pad is a commodity. whereas a cleaning service that varies from one company to an other is not a commodity. Carry on. You did offer some very valid points.

Last edited:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Tom not to pick on you. But,saying you are the best, is not or should not be a slogan and it defedently is not a USP. (Almost every major service company has a USP of some sort. Remember, Like it never happened or Chemdry's bubbles) Also a mass produced I pad is a commodity where as a service that varies from one company to an other is not a commodity. Carry on. You did offer some very valid points.

Oh thanks Dave I got up this morning hoping I would get aproval from a broke carpet cleaner. I can't wait to go to work Tuesday and know I have your approval for how I run my business.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Whatever? I was just pointing out that ridicules statement about Tom saying that a service that can vary greatly. Like carpet cleaning being a commodity and then saying that a mass produced product was not. To not confuse the new guy that started this post. I was trying to be nice about it. I could of just quoted the sentence and added LOL!! ( If I too had chosen to be an A-hole)

Last edited:

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Tom, that is a great post. I like the gift card idea, I was thinking of ways to get into office buildings but didn't want to ask for the facilities manager, etc. when entering. Great idea.

Thanks,
Will

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TomKing

Connor

Name
Connor
You don't have to be an A-Hole!!

Well, Dave, some folks are just generous like that. Then again, maybe it's your lockjaw attachment to Rosser Reaves embalmed leathery teat that ignites the contempt-fest. Pearls before swine,and shake the dust off your sandal comes to mind.

As to the OP's question, I did door hangers with a coupon and a magnet to select neighborhoods and got about a 5% return.

Hi, A/S/L ?

Reactions: Mikey P

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Well, Dave, some folks are just generous like that. Then again, maybe it's your lockjaw attachment to Rosser Reaves embalmed leathery teat that ignites the contempt-fest.

It's better to learn from a master, than to make it up as you go along .When so many have already blazed the path already, marketing wise.

Last edited:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
It's better to learn from a master, than to make it up as you go along .When so many have already blazed the path already, marketing wise.

You the master dude you have a screw loose.

I avoid threads you post in unless you are leading someone in a ditch then I can't help myself but try to help the poor guy.

Jeremiah if you are new feel free to PM me and we can talk live sometime. I would love to help.

Reactions: JMill

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You the master dude you have a screw loose.

I avoid threads you post in unless you are leading someone in a ditch then I can't help myself but try to help the poor guy.

Jeremiah if you are new feel free to PM me and we can talk live sometime. I would love to help.

I was referring to Rosser Reaves that Connor referenced in his post. He was a very famous and successful marketer. I was suggesting that it is a good idea to read some books and become a student of marketing. The principles have been tried and tested already. We are just using different mediums. Also, as just a heads up from your brain fart: [h=2]com·mod·i·ty[/h] /kəˈmɒd
thinsp.png
ɪ
thinsp.png
ti/ Show Spelled [kuh-mod-i-tee] Show IPA noun, plural com·mod·i·ties. 1. an article of trade or commerance, especially a product as distinguished from a service.

Attachments

• thinsp.png
    thinsp.png
    137 bytes · Views: 187

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dan brought in a huge door hanger that was left on his door. It had 6-8 business list on it and it was about 3-foot long. Not sure if it's still around here or if it got tossed. I'll look around and see if I can find it and snap a shot of it.

Name
Yohance
This is some great advice.
a USP is : A Unique Selling Proposition or simply "What makes your business different from the rest.' Without one your business will be no different that another. Which leads a prospect to choose your business based on price. The trouble is: That means low price. As in treading water before you fail. Don't play that game. It's a losing proposition. Instead market the good things you offer and what makes your company different than the rest. Chem Dry does it with something as simple as bubbles. Other do it with a outstanding guarantee or equipment. It can be as simple as a smile and trust. What make your company different? Why should a prospect select your company from the pack? If done right you will be able to gather more clients from your USP than from having the lowest price and price shopper will select your company even though you have the higher price. Now put on your thinking hat and find your USP. BTW: A USP is usually explained in a 7 word or less slogan. Good luck!

Reactions: Royal Man

Connor

Name
Connor
Dan brought in a huge door hanger that was left on his door. It had 6-8 business list on it and it was about 3-foot long. Not sure if it's still around here or if it got tossed. I'll look around and see if I can find it and snap a shot of it.

Was it from Chavez Restoration/carpet cleaning/landscaping/doughnut tasting and amateur photoshop services, INC?

Hi, A/S/L ?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Jeremiah

I love commercial work. I would make up a $50 gift card and go into large offices and ask to leave a stack. Doctors offices, dentists, insurance. You might while doing this have the opportunity to quote some commercial work. Do this in a shirt and tie. Again don't look like somebody's home boy, look like a professional.

Love this idea, we have always done it AFTER a service but never thought of doing it cold.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Love this idea, we have always done it AFTER a service but never thought of doing it cold.

Is the $50 discount for resi ? It seems like a pretty deep discount to me. For me it's better to get into their inter office e-mails, staff meeting and employee only pages benefit pages. If it looks like it is coming from the company to their staff and it is introduced from someone familiar and trusted already. You will get a much better reception, than if it is left un-asked for, cold in a pile. Don't do anything cold, if you can warm it up a little first.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Is the $50 discount for resi ? It seems like a pretty deep discount to me. For me it's better to get into their inter office e-mails, staff meeting and employee only pages benefit pages. If it looks like it is coming from the company to their staff and it is introduced from someone familiar and trusted already. You will get a much better reception, than if it is left un-asked for, cold in a pile. Don't do anything cold, if you can warm it up a little first.

Yes Dave, because it is sooo much easier to get into a company's intranet and be included in their employee benefit package....

:eekk::eekk:

Sorry but i will take the easier route and drop off a stack of specials, good chance the receptionist needs her own carpet cleaned.
After you start that conversation its over, great idea imo.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Yes Dave, because it is sooo much easier to get into a company's intranet and be included in their employee benefit package.

Often the easer route is not the best route. It's really not that much more work. But, it will give you decade of new clients instead of just a random few. I do it with a dozen of major firms here. I have a place that is offering a discount from us at their staff meeting tomorrow. Some places will let you sit in their lunchroom during the noon hour and offer your wares. They announce in the morning that you will be there and in large firms they stagger the lunch time. So, it can give you 2 hours or so to meet new clients.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I am looking for some honest feedback on my postcard/door hanger design. I am just starting out, thus I am swimming in uncharted waters!

I am also looking for what kind of results to expect from door hangers. Things like how many jobs per 100, what kind of response time should I expect (time from putting door hangers out to first call).

While doing door hangers is certainly better than sitting home and doing nothing do not expect it to bring in much business. It's a very slow way to get business, someone above mentioned 5% response rate. My experience (and from talking to others I know) the response rate is lower than that. So low that I really don't think it's worth it.

So what is one thing that does work??? Do you have Yelp in your area. It's the absolute best thing I do - and by do I mean a free business profile. Then try to get 5 star reviews. Priceless!

JMill

Name
Jeremiah Miller
While doing door hangers is certainly better than sitting home and doing nothing do not expect it to bring in much business. It's a very slow way to get business, someone above mentioned 5% response rate. My experience (and from talking to others I know) the response rate is lower than that. So low that I really don't think it's worth it.

So what is one thing that does work??? Do you have Yelp in your area. It's the absolute best thing I do - and by do I mean a free business profile. Then try to get 5 star reviews. Priceless!

Thanks Barry, I had started creating a Yelp profile. Perhaps I will spend some more time on this instead of running door hangers around tommorrow.

JMill

Name
Jeremiah Miller
Thanks Tom, Mikey, Dave, Shane, and Dave!

Sounds like my time will be better spent elsewhere.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
As far a s flyers it still doesn't hurt to leave some "We just cleaned for your Neighbor" flyers near the jobs you are cleaning. As Barry says cold flyers have a low response rate. (5% would be about 5 times the response I ever received.) Get visible on the internet (Here Yelp is dead), let your clients do your selling for you with their on-line reviews and referring their friends and co-workers. If someone else opens the door for you. You will get a better reception than cold marketing.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
View attachment 2002

I couldn't find the regular reply button. What am I going to share about 90% and almost certainly TomKing will disagree with. I agree with Royal, that Tom came off sounding rude, I also think his some of his advice was questionable. I am pretty sure he claimed carpet cleaning was a commodity and an Ipad is not, unless I read it wrong or it was a typo. The fact is if you look at carpet cleaning like a commodity you will probably go broke. An ipad is a commodity, it is the exact same thing no matter who you buy it from. Carpet cleaning is very different depending on who you buy it from which is where Royal was talking about a USP. What makes you different so you don't get stuck in a commodity based price war.

I am am personally a big believer in direct response and long form marketing. Many will say it way to much and people don't have time to read it all. I say don't judge how much time or how much information your prospect wants or needs to make a decision. Some will call off my headline alone and will ignore the rest of my copy, but some read everything before they call. The good thing about long form is when people call they have a lot less questions, don't ask about price as much and are often ready to book. Here is a copy of a promotion that I am just starting this month. Like I said the vast majority will hate it, but if you take anything useful be my guest.

Best of luck to you. Ok my file is to big to upload, if you would like a copy you can email at travis@integritycleaningsystems.com and I will send it to you. The flyer drives to an opt in form on a contest based website, if you want to look at that you can go to http://www.integritycleaningsystems.info/250.

Reactions: Mikey P

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
SIGH.....

here we all are pissing back and forth about what works in TOTALLY DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY.....

oh not to mention....probably different customer bases...

to start...

its south east idaho....he aint getting $85 for stairs....correct me if i am wrong Jeremiah...but most of the houses there are in the 85-225k range...and the 225 are probably on min 5 acres and are ramblers....

2nd..met Tom, at mikeys this year...he is sharp knows his shit for his area...sure it seems like he is cocky..but i saw it as confidence....with that said...a few things i disagree with...BUT then i am a 1 man broke dick show...sooooo

3rd.. Dave has his good points and then some that are again WAY OFF...

in the end what works in the hoity toity Nor Cal and Indy, isnt really gonna fly down in rural SE Idaho.....different incomes, and different people

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom