• I'm from Bama and I dunno

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

harryhides

Name
Tony
From article:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77876.php

Exposure to known substances that trigger occupational asthma raises the risk of developing it by 60%, say the researchers. While risks were highest for asthma defined by bronchial hyper-activity in addition to symptoms (140% increased risk).

The following occupations had the highest excess risk:

-- printing - 137%
-- nursing - 122%
-- woodworking - 122%
-- agriculture/forestry - 85%
-- cleaning - 71%

If a person was exposed to asthma-causing irritants, during specific incidents, his/her risk of developing new-onset asthma was found to be three-times more likely than the general public. Such events/products as a fire, mixing cleaning products or chemical spillages are considered as asthma-causing irritants.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
That article caught my eye as well. I'd like Senter's feedback on that when he joins us for the hotseat.

The cleaners were likely janitorial staff who are exposed to some pretty rough stuff. That said, it will be interesting to see the results.

It might be good if everyone who responds by message (not poll) mentions whether or not they had asthma before they got into the industry.

ron markam

Last year my doctor told me I have it. I do not take daily meds but I have had to use an inhaler a few times.I can say of a surety that none of this occured prior to cleaning.I think all the jan chems I used to use started it all. There were times I would have terrible sinus headaches many sinus infections.One chem in particular that fires me up is butyl if I use that stuff I will get sinus headaches that mirror migraines.

Greg Loe

The reason I switch from all those great fast cleaners was because of customers coughing when pre-spraying. And I was very careful not to overspray as was the deal at Mikefest at the gym/hockey place.

TimP

yep the ole sodium metabisulfate does the trick for sure. I dumped some old out and rinsed and was hacking for about 5-10 minutes after wards it's some bad stuff. when I put down the prespray pretty thick i get some coughing too (especially a new jug of it) but I wouldn't say I have asthma

harryhides

Name
Tony
Have to wonder how come you bought so much crap from all them salesmen?

Prissy or is it that you can't spell PISSY - Buttwad.

GRHeacock

I too cannot hack anything with butyl in it, or sodium metabisulfate, which congests my lungs, but since it is only these chemicals that affect me, I would not call the condition asthma, because asthma is a chronic condition, and as long as I am not spraying or breathing these chemicals I am OK.

That is the primary reason I switched to a "green" cleaning product- the Bi-O-Kleen products line, which clean as well as the products I used before, but did not give me the asthma type symptoms.

Another thing- within a few months of switching to Bi-O-Kleen products, the skin on my hands stopped drying out, and cracking and bleeding from the worst cracks.

It went so slowly that I did not notice it, my wife did that my hands were softer. And sure enough, I realized I had not needed Cornhuskers or other lotions for a while.

So... if YOUR hands are dry, rough, skin cracking, etc, stop using the products you are now using, and go with Bi-O-Kleen products- or similar type that does not affect your skin like what you are using.

Gary

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Never so much as a wheeze my whole life, and I cleaned with some really nasty stuff and in some nasty surroundings back in the day. My dad died of pulmonary fibrosis along with asthma and emphysema, but with him it didn't start until he was in his 60's and moved from dry Southern California to Iowa, the humidity, pollens and molds did him in. But it was accelerated by using Murriatic acid to clean the driveway.

Take care,
Lisa

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I have it and like Gary I can't use Butyl products. I tried some Max pac once and it felt like I had just smoked a menthol cigarrette for the first time. I use Hardball products now and don't have any problems.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Do you have asthma

One of the things to look at is pre-sprays. Anything that uses pressure to apply chemicals through spraying is going to create some fumes that go into our lungs. If you have to use pre-spray wear a raspirator. Also reduce any skin contact with any of the cleaning detergent as many toxins are absorbed through the skin. We also have the issue of multiple exposures, so even if the chemical is fairly safe, extended exposure will add to the risk. Clean safe and you will not be sorry later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom