Do you charge by the square foot or by the room?

Do you charge by the square foot or by the room?

• Total voters

LeeCory

Ron, you are correct, however before you come on a message board and claim you are better than everyone else at cleaning carpets and the way you do it is best, you should have proven that you are not going to be out of business in year 2.

It's easy to spend countless hours cleaning someones carpet. But for how long will they put up with that nonsense? Most customers are not stupid.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
well, I've been in busn since Jan 94, 14yrs now. I've been using used equipment for the last 12yrs, and just now putting together a new tm but in a used truck. Whatever does the job.

I get hired quite often because people heard that I take my time.
Biggest challenge seems to be keeping my price reasonable but charging enough that I can afford to take the time necessary. Then again, if I stay out of the pissing contests and just do my own thing, I'd be feel fine about it.
Knowledge can be a nasty thing. :roll:

Rex Tyus

Here is the deal( mine anyway). I am truly impressed that a new business owner starts out with the gusto to charge top dollar. I really like to see self confidence. I myself am a sf price cleaner. I just have the ability to see the other side of the equation. It is awful arrogant and naive to think the way one does it is the only way it should be done. A price estimate over the phone is a far cry from a price firm quote in my opinion. Further more whether BTR or SF if you give a FIRM price quote over the phone you are taking a huge gamble. Give an estimate over the phone, set up appointment, arrive, preinspect, give written price quote before any work is done and then they can have you clean or leave. It really is not that complicated. Don't really understand what all the hubub is about. I think some may be trying to convince themselves not the group.

As far as shots about his equipment, mine was tongue in cheek. An illustration of his visions of grandeur. After all I started with a Von Schrader and then moved to a BANE. :shock: Not much room for criticism there. 8)

John Olson

Name
John Olson
LeeCory said:
Maybe I am misunderstanding what I read.

Mike I think if you reread what was said, that high priced cleaner cant afford proper equipment.

Lee I think you miss read Matt. He has proper equipment. He has a ProCaps machine to pre-scrub/Pile Lift, He has a TM that squirts sucks and gets reasonably hot. He uses a Rotovac 360 (Some people think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Not me but many others) He has 2 Airpaths' to speed dry.

So as you see he has been purchasing top end equipment. What equipment isn't proper? The 800A? If it squirts sucks and gets hot what is improper about it?

LeeCory

John, You are correct, I misspoke. I also think it is very commendable for a cleaner to go all out to do the absolute best job possible for their customers, and of course charge well for it. It sounds as though his customers are getting great service.

But I don't think in any way that not doing an in home estimate is bait and switch or not ethical. There are more ways to skin a cat than just per square foot pricing. What matters is that you perform a quality service that pleases your clients and that you make a wage that enables your business to flourish.

It doesn't hurt to try new things from time to time. I've always been a sq. ft. pricer and couldn't imagine that per room would even be profitable. However I have recently been trying it and am surprised at what I am finding. I don't think either way is right in every businesses situation, but you might be surprised that whatever your way is it's not the only way.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I agree with you Lee :) Your help with Matt is greatly appreciated :) I try really hard to share my opinions but as a Supplier I have play Switzerland most of the time. There isn't one single sure fire best way for everyone even though many people (you all know who you are) think so. I do believe in being able to play devils advocate and look at and argue each side of any equation. Beside it's alot of fun to turn an argument around on people. My wife hates it though. Says I give her whiplash :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom