Commercial carpet-how many sqr ft per hr?

Scott Hayward

What is the average square feet per hour that you can clean on commercial carpet by following the below listed steps? I am trying to get a ballpark idea for a commercial bid.

Pre vacuum
Pre spray with a light prescrub
Wand with truckmount
Fairly clean carpet
Some furniture that will be moved by a helper

The last job I did was done at a rate of 2000 square feet per hour but there was no furniture moving, no pre vacuuming, and no prescrubing. Another guy and myself took turns so we weren't worn out. This job is just shy of 4600 square feet but will involve more steps and be done by myself.

Also, how many office chairs can you clean in an hour? (Bottom and back cushions.) There are 80 to 100 chairs. Fairly clean. Are 12 chairs an hour possible? Thanks for the input.

Scott

TimP

Depends on how big the rooms are. But if it's open areas and with a helper I would think you could knock out 600-700 ft an hour with a glided wand.

I'm not sure about the chairs depends on how much upholstery. But if you got a chain going they can be done fairly quickly. Maybe anywhere between 10-20 or even more if I had to guess a ball park. I'm sure some other guys will have a better idea on the upholstery.

Best thing to do is actually time yourself cleaning (extraction only if you have a helper) one the divide 60 by the time it took to get an hourly number.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I'll see your 600 or 700 and raise you 350. So about 1,000 an hr

cleanex

1 Man cleaning office chairs should average about 20 an hour. pre vac pre spray extract and wipe done legs etc.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
With proper pre -vacuum and just yourself,you should be lucky to hit 650 square...

Now with an assistant you should be close to 900...

My rough guess...

John Buxton

I think the biggest mistake I ever made when starting out was worrying about production instead of concentrating on the best possible job I could do.

It dont mean squat that you can make 2 grand a day if you dont keep that custy happy.

TimP

My guess was based on me doing a multiple rooms of commercial carpet with me pre-vac and pre-condition. My wife did like the last 1/4 of the building ahead of me. But I averaged about 500 a ft. That's why I guessed 6-700 with a helper. I supposed you could do 8-900 but I wouldn't know since I'm don't do enough jobs to warrant getting a helper yet. I think at a certain point there is such a thing as going too fast. Sure you could even do 12-1300 ft an hour with one wand but you'd be skimping on some things.

Rex Tyus

This is really tough to answer. In an office environment even if you are not moving much of the furniture your production rates can often be more of a residential nature than commercial. Plus it depends on how good your assistant is. I know this doesn't help much but so far none of the answers given are incorrect. When calculating your production time especially on the chairs I would suggest you calculate your prep/set up time as well. It can kill more time than we often realize. 20 chairs per hour is one every 3 minutes. Keep that in mind.

John Buxton also makes a very good point. Price it profitable and concentrate on technique. Use this as a benchmark for future opportunities.

Best of luck to you.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
price

The last commercial job I did around that size was about 5300 sq ft. I used the RX 20 on all of it because it was filthy. It took me about 6.5 hrs and I walked away with 1200 dollars. No furn moving just hallways and common areas. I took my time to make sure the job was done right.

diamond brian

A helper and I cleaned 4500 sq ft of lightly soiled CGD at t YMCA Sunday night. One Van, one wand, and post-padded the traffic areas. 3 Hours.

Add 100 chairs and you add 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
he asked for production times for a "one man crew"

"This job is just shy of 4600 square feet but will involve more steps and
***be done by myself.****"

I'm with PorkPrick
(maybe even less than 450sf an hour)
all those steps
vac
pre-spray and agitate
(don't know why you would agitate a "fairly clean" carpet though)
TM HWE

"Some furniture that will be moved by a helper"?????

wait a minute...Scott, who's the "helper" that will move "some furniture".

at any rate, 300 to 500sf an hour max for "me".
(unless I'm just "busting thru" the joint making the carpet wet)

Depends who and how much the "furniture moving helper" will/can do as far as increasing the 300sf an hour

..L.T.A.

Rex Tyus

Some of you idiots can't read, or follow directions.

Don't be so hard on yourself Marty. It makes sense you missed the helper to move furniture line. After all Eyesight is one of the first things to go.

Far be it from me to overestimate a person's intellect or ability. But if I were going to pay someone to move some furniture he/she could also do some vacuuming and some pre-spraying and some light pre-scrubbing. :shock: But then again I have been told I expect too much. :twisted:

Scott Hayward

Thanks for the input guys.

The helper moving furniture, pre-vacuuming, etc would be my son or "the wife". It might turn into a family fight night!

The rooms are big and open once the chairs are moved.

A glided wand would be used.

The chances of getting the job are slim because they like the company they are currently using but they are still being polite and said to submit a bid. We will see.

A good job can be done at a faster pace in this building if someone is moving the furniture and prepping.

Scott

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Scotty I'm part way thru a school at the mo and measured todays progress for you (and me :) )
Approx 4000 sft today. Took me from 8.5 hours. Full vacuum, Pre spray then scrub with 175 (the whole lot - this place is pretty grubby) and then extracted with glided wand (14" head). I had to move desks etc in most rooms once I had cleaned one half, then go back and clean the other half.
No helper as my 9 year old son pissed off to the beach after an hour on the backup vacuum :roll:

Guess that works out to around 470 sfpm. I'm not known for my speed!

Hope that helps mate.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
On light soiled commercial I expect 650 per man per hour ( and that is using portables with self-fill and auto emptly) With a helper doing shifting, vacc and prespray work I would expect close to 1000.

roro

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom