Carpet Cleaning Start up questions, advice and wisdom appreciated

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Many years ago I had a carpet cleaning business. Like many, I had a truck mounted system, if you want call it that (Bane-Clene). Nonetheless, I went through the typical growth stages of doing residential, some commercial, even apartments in the early years. The system lacked any semblance of a real truck mount. But, with the use of good chemicals and adequate time the end product was usually satisfactory, all be it long drying times.

I learned early on that this system worked best for customers that had relatively clean carpets. Therefore, that is exactly who I marketed my carpet cleaning services too – the upper income class.

The system could not be used for water damage as it lacked adequate lift.

As my Disaster Restoration business began to flourish, my carpet cleaning endeavors began to take a back seat relating to priority.

Fast forward to today. Second year of business finished okay, although my numbers were lower than my goals.

I have a couple of questions regarding my plans for 2016. Since I have been out the carpet cleaning game for a while, I could use some up to date thinking and will appreciate all suggestions.

Question 1. I have a new 16 foot restoration box truck and am considering getting a truck mount installed. Therefore, if I pursue this path, what would be a good brand to have installed? It would have to be one that works well with water damage work.

Question 2. In my past life, I did my share of restaurants and while it was a “Sticky” space to deal in I did make some decent money doing it. Today, if I were to get back into carpet cleaning, Full Force, I’d probably steer clear of Restaurants and commercial facilities, except for the fact that I am in a position where I could potentially service scores of restaurants and commercial facilities. Let me explain; we have some friends that own a very large, multi-state food service supply business. The firms employs about 18 full time sales people here in the mid Missouri area alone and this is the only area of interest for my business. One friend and salesman in particular services in excess of 400 accounts. From schools, churches, restaurants - Mom & Pop to chains, Hospitals and about everything between.

Thinking like a salesman, if the sales staff were to make introductions, with a light endorsement from the facilities trusted sales rep, I think that this could be a way into the facilities for cleaning and maybe even disaster recovery work, when and if a fire or flood occurs.

Even with endorsements from trusted sales representatives, I fully understand that I would face many of the same obstacles as I did before;

• Price sensitive customers
  • Very competitive field
  • Longer than expected turn time on payment
  • Management turn-over, requiring a continuous repeat of the classic dog and pony show with the newly installed management
  • Slow pay from corporate accounts
  • Employees

Those are my questions and thoughts. Now I await some great advice and wisdom from everyone.

Thanks,

Ivan

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Many years ago I had a carpet cleaning business. Like many, I had a truck mounted system, if you want call it that (Bane-Clene). Nonetheless, I went through the typical growth stages of doing residential, some commercial, even apartments in the early years. The system lacked any semblance of a real truck mount. But, with the use of good chemicals and adequate time the end product was usually satisfactory, all be it long drying times.

I learned early on that this system worked best for customers that had relatively clean carpets. Therefore, that is exactly who I marketed my carpet cleaning services too – the upper income class.

The system could not be used for water damage as it lacked adequate lift.

As my Disaster Restoration business began to flourish, my carpet cleaning endeavors began to take a back seat relating to priority.

Fast forward to today. Second year of business finished okay, although my numbers were lower than my goals.

I have a couple of questions regarding my plans for 2016. Since I have been out the carpet cleaning game for a while, I could use some up to date thinking and will appreciate all suggestions.

Question 1. I have a new 16 foot restoration box truck and am considering getting a truck mount installed. Therefore, if I pursue this path, what would be a good brand to have installed? It would have to be one that works well with water damage work.

Question 2. In my past life, I did my share of restaurants and while it was a “Sticky” space to deal in I did make some decent money doing it. Today, if I were to get back into carpet cleaning, Full Force, I’d probably steer clear of Restaurants and commercial facilities, except for the fact that I am in a position where I could potentially service scores of restaurants and commercial facilities. Let me explain; we have some friends that own a very large, multi-state food service supply business. The firms employs about 18 full time sales people here in the mid Missouri area alone and this is the only area of interest for my business. One friend and salesman in particular services in excess of 400 accounts. From schools, churches, restaurants - Mom & Pop to chains, Hospitals and about everything between.

Thinking like a salesman, if the sales staff were to make introductions, with a light endorsement from the facilities trusted sales rep, I think that this could be a way into the facilities for cleaning and maybe even disaster recovery work, when and if a fire or flood occurs.

Even with endorsements from trusted sales representatives, I fully understand that I would face many of the same obstacles as I did before;

• Price sensitive customers
  • Very competitive field
  • Longer than expected turn time on payment
  • Management turn-over, requiring a continuous repeat of the classic dog and pony show with the newly installed management
  • Slow pay from corporate accounts
  • Employees

Those are my questions and thoughts. Now I await some great advice and wisdom from everyone.

Thanks,

Ivan

What type of box truck?

Brand? Weight?

Any pics?

Reactions: Ivan Turner

Mikey P

Administrator
Who do you have for a retailer in the area?

Any dual wand aspirations?

How about high pressure tile work?

Average hose run length?

Will your techs be trained to clean with TACT or brute force?

What about rotary extractors?

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Mark the Brand is Chevy. I'm not sure about the weight.

Mike the closest retailer is Jon Don in STL. I have no plans for dual wanting and would be happy with a 200 foot hose run.

I will get a Zipper and yes on doing tile work.

Attachments

• 20151211_152926.jpg
    20151211_152926.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 222

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
you really have to decide where your main market is going to be. Do you do want to do mainly residential, commercial, restaurants? do you want to work during the day or night? are you able to train your employees on the equipment? If you are going to single wand only, you can use any type with a #4 blower up. A pto will be quieter and more secure than a slide in for night work. Don't worry about "price sensitive" customers. You don't want to work for them. Look for people who want quality are prepared to pay for it. Don't try to compete with Joe Blow down the road, he will always be cheaper. Set a realistic budget for the necessary equipment.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
For equipment, I think you can go with just about any unit in there.

I would guess with employees, you are probably going to lean towards a heat exchanger type unit and anything with a 45-47 type blower.

Looking at that truck I am pretty sure you can have a Butler installed in it and I would guess maybe even the Sapphire Scientific pro 1200 SE... Kind of guess on the Sapphire but know Butler has put in that type of Box truck.

Also a lot of slide ins out there that would work too with a heat exchanger and be good set up too.

I do like a direct drive because one less motor to maintain but that would come down to your comfort zone.

If you were to consider a Butler I would get the larger blower and high heat package. And the 210 waste tank is nice especially in a box truck.

Chavez of course runs box trucks too and could give input on if a Butler or such would be good for you.

That would be some of the equipment and then from there, the business side is of course another animal to deal with.

Don't be cheap... Be a great company with great service as I know you are and the upper level clients are a nice group to service... But I know you know this... Kind of preaching to the choir here I feel... Lol

Reactions: Scott S.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Thank you Mark. What you say makes alot of sense. In fact, I appreciate everyone's comments. I definitely want a truck mount that is relatively easy to maintain and the waste tank is also important.

Mikey P

Administrator
Sorry, should have read the opportunity again

How many of these set ups do you see needing down the road?

Can't argue with Mark's logic. PTOs and crews are the way to go

Reactions: Scott S.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Good question Mike. My plan for 2016 is very aggressive. Having said that, the plan is to have a second Restoration vehicle on the road by the third quarter of 2016. The restoration game is far different than carpet cleaning. But carpet cleaning helped me grow my last restoration business, therefore, it is my hope that I can repeat the same process, without repeating all of the same mistakes made before.

Mikey P

Administrator
Tell us about who would be doing the actual cleaning?

Can you attract Hagopian type lifers or will it be every six month retraining when Larry Lunchpail figures out there are easier ways to make $17 an hour...

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Great questions Mike. I have just started the process of finding some help. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, and the carpet cleaning would be a great way to get back into shape. I have always done better working on the business as opposed to in it.

I'm not sure who Larry Lunch pail is, but I would prefer to pay a livable wage to employees.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
I am in the process of bringing an employee on board. I will help out initially (need to lose some weight) I have always done better working on the business, not in the business. Recruitment and maintaining great staff will always be a ride.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I have a box truck with a Pro Chem Peak in it and it works fine. It is harder than a PTO for people to use. The more crews using it the more problems you will have( my opinion ). I get more calls about a problem on the road than with The White Magic PTO and they are older. The cost of driving it and getting around town is harder too.

1: I would get a 3500 extended van with a butler for the carpet cleaning with it also able to do restoration work. Trailer hitch if needed. Getting in and out of home will be quicker and image better.

2: Yes do the commercial work because it is year round and a lot of restoration work will come with the accounts. Crews should be different because it is hard to change them from detail work of homes and speed in commercial work.

If you put a unit in the box I would go with a slide in because you can move it to a different truck if needed for less expense. I have a prochem peak gas and apex diesel. Both have done 4 story hotels with no problem. I have older White Magic 1200 PTO units that easier to use and maintain they easily do 300' runs and longer. We do not dual wand.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Thanks David. I am still on the fence about box truck vs. van. But, since I have the box truck I feel it might make more sense to use the box. I have a trailer as well, but wouldn't feel comfortable with employees backing it, lol.

Mikey P

Administrator
I would suggest using the Box for your lead crew. Train them on commercial and hard surface work. Plenty of room for the tools

The next truck can be a cargo van for longer distances, simpler jobs..

And see where your needs are for the third.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Marty, I asked for good reason and expected advise and input. I can learn from anyone who cares to chime in on the conversation. I mean collectively there is hundreds of years of service experience in this forum and that in and of itself is priceless! I am just getting ready to begin bringing employees on board. To date, I have been working closely with multiple highly qualified colleagues, and will continue to do this when needed. It just so happens that my plans for 2016 will require some additional equipment and employees.

Mike, I am very likely going to be expanding into the hard surface vertical during 2016. I was very impressed with your presentation about tile cleaning a few months ago at Tom Kings facility. Rug washing will also be mixed in at some point.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You can start out with a small footprint of a Prochem Legend or Sapphire 370. It will allow plenty of space for drying equipment.

It wouldn't have the brute power of the bigger units but you can add a Hoss or Roto Vac to get the results you desire.

The only reason I'd go with the big iron is if you are targeting work with extend hose runs or cleaning trashed restaurants.

Question 2
I personally feel there are better more loyal clients to target. That segment of the market will always be about price no matter what they may tell you to your face.

I think you'd be better off with targeting high or high middle income with EDDM and build your data base that way.

But you're "in" maybe more valuable than I'm giving credit for.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Thanks Richard. Although I alluded to potential restataunt work, it certainly isn't the primary market for my plans.

I have always liked middle to upper income clients

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom