Carpet Cleaning Safety Concern.... and Possible Solution...??

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Assuming no exhaust leaks the only exhaust fume in a pto should be out of the tailpipe.
Sounds good!
PTO. You would have oil in the blower and the pump. They are not combusted but do get heated and vented into the truck.

*you also have blower exhaust (exits outside), chem fumes, waste tank
Oil vented into the truck, whether it's combusted or not, can't possibly be good if you're driving around in the vehicle all day long and this thing is just a couple of feet behind you.
It is unlikely you could fully seal the cab with a pto unit. You have the shaft that comes through and some units have components between the seats.
That makes sense. Seems like if sealing is preferred, a slide-in unit would probably be the more suitable candidate?
It will likely scare some customers. This shouldn't prevent you from wearing PPE as suggested by SDS sheets or to protect your health in general. Explaining to the customer that you are paranoid af about your occupational exposure before you don the hazmat suit may help.
LOL... Not gonna lie, you got me laughing with this one!
again cart before horse. Shouldn't you know this is an issue before you devise fixes? Are you going to hold your breath anytime you're around the truck when it's running?
Not sure if this is a cart before the horse situation. If I wait for it to be an issue before I devise a fix, that would be reactive in nature. But, if I can proactively think it through and roadmap items that are okay, maybe, and absolute deal breakers, I can plan accordingly. For instance, without asking the questions I've asked thus far, I wouldn't know that sealing a direct drive may be next to impossible. With that knowledge in hand, I can plan my vehicle purchase accordingly. I guess these are just steps to cross my T's and dotting my i's.... it helps me be proactive and plan accordingly.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it helps me be proactive and plan accordingly.

if you don't mind sharing, Alex, I'm curious what you do for a living now?
and how old you are?

Since you're considering a physical labor job (as carpet cleaning is) what other biz starts ups have you considered?

..L.T.A.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm glad Fred shared a link about the "new car smell" in new vehicles. That's way more important than a few different smells from your carpet cleaning setup, whether it's slide in or direct drive.

But if this is your weird OCD that you're dwelling on, don't be ashamed. All of us here have some OCD. Some are too proud to admit it (Marty) and just ask Mike and Fred about mine. You'll get a good laugh.

IF you can't stop dwelling on it, you might just need to talk to some of the Canadians on here about getting the best portable setup

FredC

Village Idiot
Oil vented into the truck, whether it's combusted or not, can't possibly be good if you're driving around in the vehicle all day long and this thing is just a couple of feet behind you.

This is true....but I don't know how bad it is

That makes sense. Seems like if sealing is preferred, a slide-in unit would probably be the more suitable candidate?

Yes

LOL... Not gonna lie, you got me laughing with this one!

and I was serious. You shouldn't let anyone else dictate the precautions you take to protect your health whether it is the customer or some guy calling you a paranoid pussy on a forum/jobsite. You should ,however, have a ready explanation of why your customer doesn't also need a hazmat suit. There are plenty of old guys wishing they had taken more precautions...

Not sure if this is a cart before the horse situation. If I wait for it to be an issue before I devise a fix, that would be reactive in nature. But, if I can proactively think it through and roadmap items that are okay, maybe, and absolute deal breakers, I can plan accordingly. For instance, without asking the questions I've asked thus far, I wouldn't know that sealing a direct drive may be next to impossible. With that knowledge in hand, I can plan my vehicle purchase accordingly. I guess these are just steps to cross my T's and dotting my i's.... it helps me be proactive and plan accordingly.

I'm speaking specifically of exhaust (you've expanded the scope here). I don't actually know if there are any harmful or detectable levels that are in the cab by the time you get in the driver seat. You may be solving a problem that doesn't exist and basing a purchase that has other ramifications (like available space) on it.

Wizardman

Name
Cameron Cummings
I really think a ride along with someone using a direct drive and also someone using a slide in will help immensely. Slide ins generate tons of heat especially in Florida. That's another reason why I prefer direct drives. I believe that butler at one point or another has installed partitions with their units, but I could be wrong. Its not going to be air tight though. You may really need to look at using a portable if you are this concerned about the fumes, or low moisture cleaning.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I really think a ride along with someone using a direct drive and also someone using a slide in will help immensely. Slide ins generate tons of heat especially in Florida. That's another reason why I prefer direct drives. I believe that butler at one point or another has installed partitions with their units, but I could be wrong. Its not going to be air tight though. You may really need to look at using a portable if you are this concerned about the fumes, or low moisture cleaning.
I am not sure direct drive is better in hot geographic locations like Florida and Texas. I have both direct and slide in. I am actually leaning now towards a new slide in due to warmer average temps. I have been looking into this issue and would be great to hear from anyone that has experience with this issue. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom