Building a business that runs without you...

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
The way I see it there are 6 things that need to happen automatically so as to reduce your over all required involvment. I understand, that in no circumstance will any one ever be completely hands off... Unless, of course they sell thier business to another party. You still have responsibilities... However, getting these things systemized & delegated to the point that they are "automatic" will make life easier for you & your staff... That said you can stay as hands on as you'd like but it helps to include other people in the process.

I'm sure I'm missing something so feel free to add to the list... Also, these are probably over simplified & some of them overlap... but it can make the goal seem more easily attainable.

The 6 things:
1) Customer Service: Every thing from answering the phone when a customer (or potential customer) calls to re-servicing Mrs. Piffleton's traffic lane if it didn't turn out perfect. This includeds quality control & invoicing.

2) Production: The work still has to get done. This includes training people to do the job properly (& efficiently).

3)Marketing & Sales: Some one needs to be producing a steady stream of new customers. Even in the "busy season"....

4) Accounting & Budgeting: Someone needs to be keeping an eye on expenses & setting a budget for each thing that gets done within the company.

5)Oversight: Some one needs to hold the subordinate team members feet to the fire & ensure that they are executing their mission in accordance with the procedures you have provided them. This position probably does the interveiwing along with the senior person in the position related to what the person is being hired for.

6)Strategic Planning: This includes generating business plans & setting targets for future growth. As such, you will need to know the status of all the above positions & hopefully you'll include all (or at least the senior) people involved in the other areas... You never know they may have some great ideas for you or be able to point out flaws in your logic as well as give you the status report needed to plan effectively.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Wonderful Jeremy~ in heirarchal order I might reverse them as I think it all starts with the strategic planing.

Ken

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Nice!

Man you need to move out of that little one horse town and put that big brain to work.

How about I pay you what you're making now and I'll work you twice as hard!!! :mrgreen:

Scott

Very good, Jeremy. You've come a long way in a short amount of time.

You have the strategic thinking down, now go translate that into action and you'll have the world at your feet. Or on the VCT....or something.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Ken Snow said:
"...in heirarchal order I might reverse them as I think it all starts with the strategic planning."
Ken

When formulating a plan:
You have to start with the end in mind... :wink:

Thanks for the replies. Seriously though... I want the flaws in the logic pointed out so I can do this more effectively.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Jeremy, have you ever read The E-Myth?

Good read and will defitinte help you with these thoughts.

John

PS... and no, I haven't implemented even half of what I read :oops:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
It's a good idea to have scrips and procedures written down for all your staff.

From marketing staff,office staff, to technicians.

This guarantees that every one knows what to do and they do it your way.

Don't allow them to make it up or wing it. It's not fair to you or your staff!

For the cleaning tec here are just a few of the things that should be considered for systematization:

from loading the truck, calling customer letting then know they are on the way, greeting client, pre- inspection, proper selling procedure, step by step cleaning procedures, proper chemicals application, post inspection with client, referral system, canvasing neigorhood, thank you note, end of day record keeping, truck house keeping/ cleaning.

Dave-

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Sounds good. That's what it's all about..and I ain't talkin hokey pokey.

Someone to keep up with technology such as chems, equip, office tools IE computers and such.
This would be under stratagies I would guess but you will need someone to go to the conventions and learn.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
More good stuff by Jeremy.

I think a lot of us know these things, but it's good to see them. Reminds us to get our stuff together. My biggest problem is 'failure to implement'. If I'd do half the crap I know I should, I'd be set. For the life of me, I just don't do some things for one reason or another.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Dirk Wingrove said:
More good stuff by Jeremy.

I think a lot of us know these things, but it's good to see them. Reminds us to get our stuff together. My biggest problem is 'failure to implement'. If I'd do half the crap I know I should, I'd be set. For the life of me, I just don't do some things for one reason or another.

Dirk, that's my line!!!

Don't let Steve T read this but I'm guilty as charged :oops: of exactly the same thing. Some days I get to wondering where I might be if I had implemented a lot more. I try, but there's only so many hours in a day. Yes I know, I should have a morning a week that is dedicated tio marketing only or management related tasks etc...

I have achieved one thing that I thought was impossible till not too long ago, and that's implementing a weekly staff meeting. Hard to do when there's only three full time staff, but it's worked out great. In fact, I'm about to run to work, when I get in tonight, I'll start a thread on such and get people contributing to that.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom