Best desktop computer?

Becker

Name
Becker
Currently I have a Gateway.
POS!

I've reinstalled programs, ran window fixes.

I get lock up on outlook, explorer, yahoo messenger, if I have a screen saver selected it stalls and needs to be rebooted.

If I have a photo background, and restart the computer the selected background is gone.

I bought it from Costco about a year ago. Problems started almost right away.

Before this I owned 3 E-machines with almost zero problems.

Alex has one, and the other I use for my security camera.

What band of computer have you had the best luck with?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
"Best" given what dollar amount? Most problems with PCs are not software related, they're related to the junk hardware the software has to try and make work. The less you pay the less you get.

Becker

Name
Becker
yes, I'm sure it is the hardware, as I'm not really running anything new on this computer.

I have monitors coming out my ears.

So, I'd like to buy just a CPU. Say under $750.00

Yeah I thought I was getting better with the gateway, as it was much more than the comp emachine.

Ohwell. Maybe I just got a lemon, as my neighbor did with the apple, HD cashed right away, repair guy sez it never happens.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Becker,

This is what you do. Go to a reputable custom computer shop and have them build you a tower, with a good graphics card and 2x's the RAM that they would start you with, and your gonna be good 2 go.

Also, if your doing biz on it, I would recommend RAID setup on your hard drives.

G

The best for your $ would be to go to your local PC store and tell them to build you a PC for what you will be using it for! Whats good about this, is that they can upgrade your parts yearly and its cheaper than buying a whole brand new PC! My specs:

Intel quad q6600 3.0mhz
6 gigs of DDR-2 ram
2TB of space - yes terabyte.
2 Nvidia 8800 GT Overclocked SLI
6 Fans
Dual layer burner
Windows Vista 32/64bit

spent about 1k. and i wouldnt have to buy another pc for atleast 5 years.

LeeCory

I worked for Gateway for 6 years and am very familiar with this question. Right before I left the company Gateway purchased E-machines.... so they are the same company. It sounds as if you got a quirky machine....

About 6 or 7 years ago things began to change in the computer industry. Back then Gateway and Dell used to build computers. Neither company builds anything anymore. All pc's no matter what brand are made by several companies overseas to the specs each brand requires. Dell and Gateway computers were made by the same company... lol

Honestly depending on what you are going to be doing brand does not matter anymore as its a commodity product and all the components are integrated.

If all you are going to be doing is surfing the web and messing around like most of us, just go to the stores and shop price. They are disposable products. For everyday use there is no need to go to a local custom built store because all they are going to do is slap the components together which is very easy, you could even do that. Building your own computer is simple.

I am very interested in Apple, but unless you want to make the leap, just go get another E-Machine or the like. Everybody that will hop on and tell you to get a Dell is simply enamored with the name. It is the same junk as everything else and built at the same place.

Here is a link to a guide to building your own system in a couple different levels. Budget box, Hot Rod, and God Box. It shows you each part at component level and price and where to get it.

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200805.ars Just click on each of the options to see what you can get for each price range. Check them all out especially the "God Box".... it will make your mouth water.

Kevin

www.tigerdirect.com
They have build to order PCs

I would get XP because Vista sucks.

Video Card is important.

Memory is an easy upgrade that you can do on your own. Just take the cover off and plug in the Memory in a free slot. I would recomend upgrading at purchase to the DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Dual Channel. Than later on add more.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
i wouldnt have a computer built because unless you are good with drivers and such, it will drive you nuts. i personally like my hp's.

John Buxton

Check out Lenovo (IBM). I am very happy with this machine, and the customer service is in the US not India so you can actually understand them. Add windows XP Pro and your in business.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I agree with the quirky machine comment.

You can buy a hell of a good machine for $750 Becker. Especially if you use an existing monitor and build your own machine. Or buy a custom machine from...

tigerdirect.com
newegg.com

Newegg has the best service out there IMO.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Becker,
Since you bought the compy at Costco you have a two year warranty on the unit.

Here's an expert from their website

For COMPUTERS, TELEVISIONS and PROJECTORS, Costco extends the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY to two years from date of purchase. Please call Costco Concierge™ Technical Support @ 1-866-861-0450 for warranty assistance.

Give it a shot you may get it fixed.

LeeCory

Becker I would like to add to my post above and actually tell you what I think you should do. I will guide you through this step by step if needed. Which suggestion you take depends on what you really want.

1. You do not need a new computer if the one you have is only 1 year old unless you really want to spend the money. With the problems you describe I would simply do a reformat and fresh re-install of the operating system. This is not difficult to do and it should resolve your issues.

2. If you don't want to mess around, just go to your favorite nearest electronic store and buy a new box.

3. If you want to get the most bang for your buck and want to take control of your computing visit the website I listed above and check out the budget box. The budget box as described is leaps and bounds superior to any product you will buy on a store shelf. You can even mix and match between the budget box and the hot rod for a screamer of a system.

This is my advice and as always read all the input and decide for yourself.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
i buy mine at pc club i think they are better and little cheaper than dell or gateway regardless your PC is old and outdated within a few month after you get it and in a year or two you'll have problems running some of the new programs

The biggest problems i have with VISTA are the software updates since I've stopped updating I've had no problems

http://www.pcclub.com/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom