Been off the boards for a long time, is everyone using 1.5 inch wands now?

Ludwig

Name
neil
Hey everyone, I have a graveyard of wands in my shop and am looking to simplify to one wand for ease of maintenance and constancy. I have 4 trucks and a varying number of employees so something simple that probably won't be treated very well. I was reading that guys here are using AW29s and Westpak 530s ect. 2 inch wands used to be all the rage with TMs. Is this not the case anymore? I personally always preferred a 1.5 when I was on the truck every day.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Reactions: SamIam

Mikey P

Administrator
Welcome back

I'm selling wands now and 80% of them are 1.5's

I prefer them now as well.

A 2/14 feels like I'm trying to clean with a telephone pole...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hey everyone, I have a graveyard of wands in my shop and am looking to simplify to one wand for ease of maintenance and constancy. I have 4 trucks and a varying number of employees so something simple that probably won't be treated very well. I was reading that guys here are using AW29s and Westpak 530s ect. 2 inch wands used to be all the rage with TMs. Is this not the case anymore? I personally always preferred a 1.5 when I was on the truck every day.

I always have both sizes on the truck. A lot of my work is in furnished homes or townhouses. I like the W530 or the AW29 because it's easier to maneuver without knocking pictures off the wall. I use my 2 inch wands on empty places or when I think drying times are more important. Most of my commercial now is encap.

Name
Austin Willoughby
This is a good topic. I honestly want to know how much a 1.5in wand affects dry times compared to a 2in maybe comparing 14in or 12in wands. I'm all for super fast dry times personal 🤷‍♂️

Mikey P

Administrator

For a fleet of four, or more the 530 is ideal

The AW is close but needs a sheer kit and an external fit glide, thats a pain to swap out, to get it to perform 90% as well as the 530.
The 530 has a lower head and its triangle shape gets under and around furniture better.
It also has nicer hardware, including acrubsr coated supply line, but best of all is the ease of Glide swapping.

Holes for commercial, wool and thin loose rugs, Slots for the rest and an upcoming Hard Surface Glide for vinyl, tile and wood

All for $550, which is just nuts.

Ludwig

Name
neil
I always have both sizes on the truck. A lot of my work is in furnished homes or townhouses. I like the W530 or the AW29 because it's easier to maneuver without knocking pictures off the wall. I use my 2 inch wands on empty places or when I think drying times are more important. Most of my commercial now is encap.
Thanks, this makes sense. I've been trying to push commercial customers to encap with varying success, but the more the better, especially on the 5th floor.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Ludwig

Name
neil

The AW is close but needs a sheer kit and an external fit glide, thats a pain to swap out, to get it to perform 90% as well as the 530.
The 530 has a lower head and its triangle shape gets under and around furniture better.
It also has nicer hardware, including acrubsr coated supply line, but best of all is the ease of Glide swapping.

Holes for commercial, wool and thin loose rugs, Slots for the rest and an upcoming Hard Surface Glide for vinyl, tile and wood

Thanks for the welcome back. You mentioned you sell these, is greenglides.com your store? I was actually on there yesterday looking at that exact wand.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Gold standard is a 16 inch, 1 1/2 inch CASTEX. On sale now for only $4,995 for a autographed one.

By the way Ludwig is a merely a commoner name

Reactions: Mikey P

SamIam

Name
sam miller
That's what I was wondering. Thanks
Guess it matters what flow wand and where you live. A 1 1/2 4-6 flow wand will dry about the same as a a 8-10 flow 2 inch wand.

Do they do the same job????

That's up for debate.

There's no argument on ease of use of a aw29 over a devastator wand.

The 14 inch sapphire is so light I don't think you'll notice a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

hogjowl

Idiot™
This morning I took a really crappy ghetto job that is indicative of what we’re talking about here. It’s a rental house with really low income people living there. It was really bad. My son uses a 2 in Devastator running 8 flow at 500 psi. He probably could have cleaned that house successfully by doing a normal HWE process. What I mean by normal is he could have pulled the trigger on the back stroke, then let off the trigger and moved the wand diagonally into position for the next pass. Typical “V” pattern cleaning. He routinely gets 3 or 4 hour drying times.
I did the job though and I used a 1.5” Devastator running 6 flow at 350psi. (I can’t use 500 psi or my drying times go up to around 6 hours.) The difference was, I couldn’t get it clean doing the typical cleaning described above. I had to feed solution going forward and backward with the trigger on the entire time. Then I’d go back over the area cleaned and do a dry pass. My drying times are expect to be around 4 to 6 hours on this job.

Name
Austin Willoughby

Guess it matters what flow wand and where you live. A 1 1/2 4-6 flow wand will dry about the same as a a 8-10 flow 2 inch wand.

Do they do the same job????

That's up for debate.

There's no argument on ease of use of a aw29 over a devastator wand.

The 14 inch sapphire is so light I don't think you'll notice a difference.
Yea I was just curious honestly. I run around a 6-8 Flow. I prefer a 4 jet seems to clean more consistently also. 14in wand is more efficient. Don't get me wrong the 12 has place for sure. Tight spaces and what not. I'd like to see them make a 2inch wand with a 1.5 or 1.75in handle only and see how much it effects dry times. Seems thats the biggest complaint is grip size. Obviously weight doesn't matter bc if it's titanium like you said it's light anyway. I've used both sizes and both weights and personally they all have there advantages and disadvantages.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

Yea I was just curious honestly. I run around a 6-8 Flow. I prefer a 4 jet seems to clean more consistently also. 14in wand is more efficient. Don't get me wrong the 12 has place for sure. Tight spaces and what not. I'd like to see them make a 2inch wand with a 1.5 or 1.75in handle only and see how much it effects dry times. Seems thats the biggest complaint is grip size. Obviously weight doesn't matter bc if it's titanium like you said it's light anyway. I've used both sizes and both weights and personally they all have there advantages and disadvantages.
I gave Mike hell over the WP530, but in the long run, it's the best 12" 2 jet wand on the market. If you're needing a good lineup of tools on your van, this needs to be one of your wands. It is more user friendly for you and your nephew's size. I know you're concerned about the 6flow being too low for your setup, but I think if you keep it at 550psi and crack open that valve to lower the heat, it'll be just fine

As for the bigger 2" wand for big jobs, tall guys like me need the prochem Titanium and your height would love the sapphire 14". They seem to be the same from pictures, but the sapphire is too short for me

Reactions: Austin Willoughby

SamIam

Name
sam miller

They're out there, I believe tom does a 14 inch head with a 1 1/2 pipe, I think @Nomad74 has one.

Reactions: Austin Willoughby
Name
Austin Willoughby
They're out there, I believe tom does a 14 inch head with a 1 1/2 pipe, I think @Nomad74 has one.
Yea for sure ik they're out there I've seen them. They have them in 1.75in also what I was saying is I wonder if it would be advantageous to run a 2in wand tube bottle necked at about 6in-1ft of handle down to 1.5in or 1.75in just to reduce hand fatigue. Now ik there's ergo handles for that but some people don't like them. Idk just a thought lol. Wonder if it would affect air flow tremendously or not really.

Ludwig

Name
neil

Thanks, I have one on the way. Hopefully it will fit the bill while I save up for Jimmy's wand.

Name
Austin Willoughby

I gave Mike hell over the WP530, but in the long run, it's the best 12" 2 jet wand on the market. If you're needing a good lineup of tools on your van, this needs to be one of your wands. It is more user friendly for you and your nephew's size. I know you're concerned about the 6flow being too low for your setup, but I think if you keep it at 550psi and crack open that valve to lower the heat, it'll be just fine

As for the bigger 2" wand for big jobs, tall guys like me need the prochem Titanium and your height would love the sapphire 14". They seem to be the same from pictures, but the sapphire is too short for me
Yea ik being smaller framed having the 12in makes sense and I plan to grab one up from him as a backup or for a dual wand setup. Mikey will probably kick me in the teeth for this one but I just bought the cheap 14in 4 jet low profile westpak wand with a Charlie Brown glide so I can retire my beat up prochem quad lol. Once I get a really nice titanium wand I'll make this one the true backup and the 12in I plan to get from Mike will be for dual wanding. We'll see how much I hate the 14in westpak coming in 😅

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks, I have one on the way. Hopefully it will fit the bill while I save up for Jimmy's wand.
Thanks for the order!

Do you want four or six flow?

I recommend four as it cleans just as well as six and you'll get much better dry times with this wand.

Fyi, a manager from the Seattle Coit just got voted on to the board of directors with the IICRC, he was also involved with the s800 restoration standards in the recent rewrite, he got my voteit's nice to see a Coit guy this devoted to the industry

Ludwig

Name
neil
Thanks for asking, I was wondering about the flow. I'll go with the 4 based on your advice.

I dont get a chance to meet all the Coit guys, especially on the restoration side, but I know we have a good team up there.

Hopefully this wand works out and I'll snag a few more. Thanks for the great service!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom