Be Careful What You Write In Employment Ads !

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
This story goes in the "first kill all the lawyers" category.

My friend posted an employment ad on craigslist a couple months ago for a tech. Either his assistant or a service physically wrote the ad and he must not have proofread it or even knew it was wrong.

Instead of writing "background checks required", they wrote "no felonies" or something similar.
Well, then he received a letter in the mail from a lawyer. Some guy who lives 100 miles away was trolling on craigslist who has a felony and is suing him for discrimination now.

He consulted a lawyer and they told him probably going to have to cough up $10k or something to make it go away.
YES $10k !!! :eekk:

I guess there is some state law limiting damages for businesses with less then 10 FTE employees.
So the lawyer is investigating the details now but he is going to get whacked with something just not sure yet how much.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Good luck collecting,

I'd a Laughed my azz off then said.......

Show up at my door and Bang, cuz yuz a Felon : )

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Check the exact wording. If it says "No felonies" that could mean that no applicant is required to commit a felony in order to perform the work. Felonies are not a part of carpet cleaning. Like saying we don't do bait and switch or rob our clients.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Funny, i just had something written up and one of the questions they put down was age.

I said whoa, whoa, whoa we can't ask that question!
Always better to learn from the mistakes of others... :winky:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
You can ask age because they may be required to be over 21 to entered certain establishments to either clean or bid.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
and it is ok to say no felonies because you may have establishments that require your employees to have never been convicted of a felony such as government contracts or banks. That would be my reply and none of that is discriminations. And why would he be posting want ads on craigslist unless he wanted a dope dealing, felonious thief, hooker to come work for him

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member

Most labor laws are state based, what you can do in Utah and New York is completely different.
We have govt contracts and can say must pass fbi check but not felony specifically.
Certain ones are passable.

It was posted in several online outfits not just CL.

Yes saying must be 21 is legit, lawsuits are not always about winning but who even wants to spend the money to find out?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB

No you can't ask age. You would have to say something like, "There may be situations that require the person in this position to be over 21 years of age. Do you meet that requirement?" You cannot ask their age until after they have been hired/accept the position. And then you do it by asking for a copy of their drivers license (which you cannot ask for during interview process, or even a photo of them...there was a recent thread about this).

Reactions: J Scott W

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
"An employer can inquire into whether the applicant has ever been convicted of a crime, but should also state that a conviction will not necessarily disqualify the applicant from employment."

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/61398

"Likewise, employers cannot require that an applicant provide a picture of himself or herself along with the application, absent a legitimate business reason for the picture."

Can not require, but doesn't mean you can't ask for one with the application if one is available..

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
This is ridiculous and I can't stand the loopholes and laws. I personally simply weed them out on the phone or face-to-face

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Most labor laws are state based, what you can do in Utah and New York is completely different.
We have govt contracts and can say must pass fbi check but not felony specifically.
Certain ones are passable.

It was posted in several online outfits not just CL.

Yes saying must be 21 is legit, lawsuits are not always about winning but who even wants to spend the money to find out?

Should've just said clean driving record, and no visible tattoo's. that would weed the weasel's out.

Most here are running a imaged based customer service company clean cut shaven ect. We have a right to hold a standard to what we expect!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
OK I hired a dude from church I've been there 20 years he's been around a couple years,

First day in the car haven't ran his driving record yet, I pick him up to Vacuum and pull hose. We drive by a new hotel going up He say's "hey look thats a nice a hotel, I need to get me a room there and have a lady friend over!"

I'm thinking to myself thats nice. His driving record came up to where I cant insure him,

The last day I took him out we were at a job and I did a bunch of upholstery and carpet, he was packing up, I went back in the house and closed the front door on my way in, 100 degree day they had the A/C on. I talked for 5 min came out got in the truck to leave, He's mad at me and says "Man I wanted to say good bye to her and wish her a happy Bday, but you went and closed the door I guess You just wanted to be alone with her." Thats when I told him his driving record sucked he was on helper detail for life and He's like why you mad at me????

Insinuating I'm trying to hook up with customers talking about your side squeeze. Realizing pretty quickly church is a hand out and not a way of life!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom