AT&T yellow pages VS The other book

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
We have two books in our area, AT&T and the Valley yellow pages. The Valley yellow pages releases their book 3 months after AT&T. The hacks.

I took a small add in the AT&T book last year, almost paid for it self for 3 months, then the other book came out. Lucky if I got 2 calls a month after that.

Now the valley yellow pages is offering to give me dollar bill size add for $220.00 a month for 1 year. Black & Yellow

The guys around here say you need to advertise in both to get any biz, but the at&t book I'm 6 pages back and didn't even 20 jobs off of it. If I go with the valley I 'll be on the third or fourth page and 3 times the size of at&t add. I can not afford another $2500.00donation to the phone company. :? :? :?

Tile Nerd

I agree. I stick with the book from the phone company. Usually get at least an 8 to 1 return.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I think the only way to do YP ads is to do a full page, and I am not even sure that will be worth it, the best thing to do is set up your add on a market expansion line, this way you can monitor the number of calls the ad is producing as well as turn the number off and cancel the add if its not working, I tried a 1/4 page cost me $750/mo I had it for 3 mos, it produced the exact number of calls they promised, only problem was half of them where solicitors and the other half price shoppers, I wasn't even able to recoup the cost of the ad, fortunatly canceling it was easy

Tile Nerd

steve g said:
I think the only way to do YP ads is to do a full page, and I am not even sure that will be worth it, the best thing to do is set up your add on a market expansion line, this way you can monitor the number of calls the ad is producing as well as turn the number off and cancel the add if its not working, I tried a 1/4 page cost me $750/mo I had it for 3 mos, it produced the exact number of calls they promised, only problem was half of them where solicitors and the other half price shoppers, I wasn't even able to recoup the cost of the ad, fortunatly canceling it was easy

That's way to much money. I just signed up for a 3/4 page full color, in column listing, coupon listing and white page listing for under $400. Some discounted "bundle" deal. You've got to work 'em.

Last year I had a half page black & white for $200.

This is a small market verizon book that goes out to 80,000. My ads have consistently made at least an 8 to 1 return for the last 4 years.

Thank you Piranha Marketing (I now wait for the onslaught).

Greg Loe

I tested both books in my area. Valley yp out produced the regular yp by far.

Each area is different. You have to test. But testing can be expensive. So guessing is the next best thing. lol

We have a new county book that looks great and I've been seeing it in every home almost. Got a great price for a half page full color $100.

The sales guy was the manager and I gave him some big money referrals for some full page ads of some friends that could use a good deal. He rewarded me with the half page for $100 for as long as I'm in the book. And he put it in writting! on the contract.

I wasn't even going to meet with him because this is my last year in the valley yp. But I have another business that needs the yp ads.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Full page color ads run around $2000.00 a month here and 1 guy does it in AT&T and a1/4 B/W in the VYP $800mo. with a 2 van operation. I hear he makes $$$$, but he has been here since 89, he has to be getting a deal. Our phone book people only make deals for 1 year then regular price. No guarantee and the only way you can cancel is disconnect your phone. Another cc moved out of state and they were going to try to charge him for the rest of the year. he had to disconnect his cell and send bill showing he moved.

Should of been a Y/P salesman, No promises, no guarantee, just high prices and contracts you can't get out of.

dallasdj

If your prices are cheap and you don't mind price shoppers then the YP are for you.

Otherwise get some mentoring and start making a living.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom