Are you advertising on FaceBook?

hogjowl

Idiot™
This is a direct copy of an article I read this morning in Floor Covering Weekly:

Since 2008, The Gallup Co. annually releases The State of the American Consumer: "Insights for Business Leaders. " Among other things, this study measures consumer spending, confidence and expectations.

The most provocative article in its study this year is "The Myth of Social Media." In the article, a majority of consumers say they are not influenced by Facebook or Twitter. According to BIA/Kelsey, U.S. companies spent $13 billion in 2013 on social media and by 2018 they will spend $18 billion. But when consumers are asked why they use social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) 94 percent do so to "connect with friends and family." Only 29 percent say they use social media to "follow trends/to find product reviews and information." When Gallup asked these same 18,000 consumers about the influence of social media on their buying decisions, 62 percent said they had no influence at all. Only 30 percent said social media had some influence and 5 percent said social media had a great influence.

Guess what is far more important to consumers when they are considering a purchase, regardless of dollar amount (big ticket versus products valued at less than $100)? "Gallup research shows that consumers are much more likely to turn to friends, family members and experts when seeking advice about companies, brands, products or services. Company sponsored Facebook pages and Twitter feeds have almost no persuasive power."

Facebook and Twitter are the most prominent social media sites, They are great for eople to people communication. But why would you spend time on these sites for your store? Many companies think they can advance their products and/or brands via Facebook and Twitter. But Gallup found that consumers are "highly adept at tuning out Facebook and Twitter content. These channels do not motivate prospective customers to consider or try a brand."

Facebook knows this. Yes, Facebook says it asked hundreds of thousands of people how they feel about the content in their news feeds, and people told them they wanted to see more stories from friends and pages they care about, and less promotional content. "We dug further into the data to better understand this feedback" the company said. "What we discovered is that a lot of the content people see as too promotional is posts from pages they like rather than ads." Got it? Facebook users say that a business site they like that promotes itself or products is an irritant. So why do it?

Retail owners have limited time and money for marketing. Gauging from the number of training sessions on social media at this Surfaces, one would rightly think this (social media) is the wave of the future and you need to spend time and money to get it right. Yes, you want to be where the customers are but you want to be where they want you to be when it comes to products (or services) store brand and more! According to users, Facebook and Twitter are not the place to be for your business.

Next time someone wants to teach you how to turn Facebook likes into lots of moolah, pass. Instead, spend time on making your website mobile app friendly; add 20 different videos to your website (she loves videos) and hire a great new salesman. You'll be money ahead.

QDCC-Barry

Well, now you tell me!! I just this very minute "boosted" a post for the first time on Facebook. It was a before/after picture.
039-bedroom.jpg
Spent $20 for one day. male/female - 25-60 year old in a city +10 miles near me. Estimated people reached is 2,000 to 5,000 - whatever that really means. I'll report back and let you know how it works.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I still think he should be more bothered that he said it smells awful than spraying it on the legs and walls.

Gawwd help him in the rest room! It's got to look like a damn water weenie going off in there! ;)

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Its only $100 month to run a campaign monday-friday.
If after 6 months you still are not profitable then consider becoming a walmart greeter or something.

This is just a guerilla marketing campaign, exactly the type of stuff us small ballers have to do.
Now if you can afford big media like radio/tv/newspaper/billboard, more power to ya.

We talk about stuff like this because thats what we (99.9% of cleaners) can afford.

Reactions: Russ T. and Mikey P

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
." Only 29 percent say they use social media to "follow trends/to find product reviews and information."

This actually seems kinda high to me. I would be interested in knowing the demographics of the audience. The only other thing that I would suggest is that Millennials value their friends opinions over ANY generic testimonial. That kind of makes social media relevant for them.

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Article makes sense to me. When Facebook and social media started taking off we were all told "this is where we need to be as business owners" In order to keep your company name out there you needed a lot of content and so on. It was very time consuming so I hired someone to do it for me so it would stay consistent. I never received a job from any S.M. platform. I have taken the task back over again and post 1-2 time a week ( still with no trackable results).

Even though I don't put a lot of time into it mostly because I use Jeff Cross's program "Marketing Zoo" I still feel anytime I spend on S.M. and Blogging is wasted.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree David. It not a good primary marketing vehicle but I do believe it does have a lot of value and at such a low cost I'd just add it to your mix but continuing with whatever else is working for you. :cool:

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
Here's a tool that we built called SAFE - Save A Friend Effort. It's a one click Social Media referral marketing and TRACKING tool allow a consumer to post a message designed by the carpet cleaner to the persons Facebook wall with one click. Earn savings credits and referral discounts if they click back and book. Here's an example:

upload_2015-1-22_11-10-42.png

Here's also a video we made to assist Carpet Cleaners to share how it works with their market...

ALL FREE OF COST FB MARKETING!!!

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Here's a tool that we built called SAFE - Save A Friend Effort. It's a one click Social Media referral marketing and TRACKING tool allow a consumer to post a message designed by the carpet cleaner to the persons Facebook wall with one click. Earn savings credits and referral discounts if they click back and book. Here's an example:

View attachment 1131

Here's also a video we made to assist Carpet Cleaners to share how it works with their market...

ALL FREE OF COST FB MARKETING!!!

We might be interested in this. What is the cost?

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Well, now you tell me!! I just this very minute "boosted" a post for the first time on Facebook. It was a before/after picture. View attachment 1123 Spent $20 for one day. male/female - 25-60 year old in a city +10 miles near me. Estimated people reached is 2,000 to 5,000 - whatever that really means. I'll report back and let you know how it works.

Nice Before & After Picture. Those are all we post on Facebook, and only use Facebook for marketing right now. Besides for reminder cards. Utilize it correctly and you won't have to do any other form of marketing. People on this board will most definitely disagree with me on this stance, but to each there own suckas. :)

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
This is a direct copy of an article I read this morning in Floor Covering Weekly:

Since 2008, The Gallup Co. annually releases The State of the American Consumer: "Insights for Business Leaders. " Among other things, this study measures consumer spending, confidence and expectations.

The most provocative article in its study this year is "The Myth of Social Media." In the article, a majority of consumers say they are not influenced by Facebook or Twitter. According to BIA/Kelsey, U.S. companies spent $13 billion in 2013 on social media and by 2018 they will spend $18 billion. But when consumers are asked why they use social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) 94 percent do so to "connect with friends and family." Only 29 percent say they use social media to "follow trends/to find product reviews and information." When Gallup asked these same 18,000 consumers about the influence of social media on their buying decisions, 62 percent said they had no influence at all. Only 30 percent said social media had some influence and 5 percent said social media had a great influence.

Guess what is far more important to consumers when they are considering a purchase, regardless of dollar amount (big ticket versus products valued at less than $100)? "Gallup research shows that consumers are much more likely to turn to friends, family members and experts when seeking advice about companies, brands, products or services. Company sponsored Facebook pages and Twitter feeds have almost no persuasive power."

Facebook and Twitter are the most prominent social media sites, They are great for eople to people communication. But why would you spend time on these sites for your store? Many companies think they can advance their products and/or brands via Facebook and Twitter. But Gallup found that consumers are "highly adept at tuning out Facebook and Twitter content. These channels do not motivate prospective customers to consider or try a brand."

Facebook knows this. Yes, Facebook says it asked hundreds of thousands of people how they feel about the content in their news feeds, and people told them they wanted to see more stories from friends and pages they care about, and less promotional content. "We dug further into the data to better understand this feedback" the company said. "What we discovered is that a lot of the content people see as too promotional is posts from pages they like rather than ads." Got it? Facebook users say that a business site they like that promotes itself or products is an irritant. So why do it?

Retail owners have limited time and money for marketing. Gauging from the number of training sessions on social media at this Surfaces, one would rightly think this (social media) is the wave of the future and you need to spend time and money to get it right. Yes, you want to be where the customers are but you want to be where they want you to be when it comes to products (or services) store brand and more! According to users, Facebook and Twitter are not the place to be for your business.

Next time someone wants to teach you how to turn Facebook likes into lots of moolah, pass. Instead, spend time on making your website mobile app friendly; add 20 different videos to your website (she loves videos) and hire a great new salesman. You'll be money ahead.
This is all true of television and commercials too. People watch TV for the entertaining shows.

Do you think that all the $ companies dump into commercials that people don't want to watch is wasted? Hardly.

People are affected by a smart Facebook presence. We all say word of mouth is so important and I agree. Facebook is like handing every customer a megaphone to brag on your company...if you use it wisely.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Since I've started posting before and after pictures on FB, I have had two customers tell me not to take them of their houses.These women told me this before I'd even started cleaning. Obviously, they saw my FB page and was afraid I'd take pictures of her their houses and publically post them. This has made me rethink doing this.

Reactions: Russ T.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Well, now you tell me!! I just this very minute "boosted" a post for the first time on Facebook. It was a before/after picture. View attachment 1123 Spent $20 for one day. male/female - 25-60 year old in a city +10 miles near me. Estimated people reached is 2,000 to 5,000 - whatever that really means. I'll report back and let you know how it works.

Final results from boosting my FB Post:
$20 total cost - ran 24 hours Wed noon thru Thursday noon.
2134 people "reached". (whatever that means)
76 actions which consisted of:
41 photo clicks
8 page likes
26 Post likes
1 share
As of Friday evening NO CALLS mentioning FB.

I am going to try next week boosting my PAGE to see how that works. Also I think I'll message each person who liked the photo with an offer.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
No ad campaign is going to be successful in 24 hours.
Really want to budget a monthly $$ and do it for 3-6 months.

Has nothing to do with the medium, we have to figure out target, copy, headline, offer, pictures etc.
All this takes some trial/error if you have never done it before.

QDCC-Barry

No ad campaign is going to be successful in 24 hours.
Really want to budget a monthly $$ and do it for 3-6 months.

Has nothing to do with the medium, we have to figure out target, copy, headline, offer, pictures etc.
All this takes some trial/error if you have never done it before.

Absolutely agreed. I wasn't expecting success in 24 hours... Just reporting on what happened so far.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I've found the boost, paid ads and posting things to our page, haven't led to new jobs. But we are still doing very well with Facebook. I think it's the context in which you use it.

We are a part of a community page (Called, Doylestown). It's a closed group that has over 7,000 members. If focuses on sharing info and positive things with in the Doylestown Community. Also another page called Central Bucks Girlfriends. I can't tell you how many people use these pages to post for recommendations for contractors, home services, doctors, hair stylists, restaurant recommendations. Carpet cleaning comes up quite frequently and we always get a ton of "referrals" by the members of these groups. Sometimes I even see a post "I'm looking for the lady that has a carpet cleaning company. I saw her posted on here before, but can't remember the name".

We never got a job off of our Facebook presence and efforts prior to becoming involved in these groups. We joined the Doylestown group in July and have completed 24 jobs from it.

QDCC-Barry

Meg, Do you pay to be those FB groups...I mean to advertise? We have one group here that anyone can join and talk about stuff in the community BUT you can't advertise your business there....that is UNLESS you join and pay to advertise on the group owners website, THEN you can talk about your business.

There is a carpet cleaner on there already and I see that is seems pretty advantageous to that guy. People always talking about him. And he's a DORK. So what you say I believe about joining FB groups.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Meg, Do you pay to be those FB groups...I mean to advertise?

No. They are "private" groups with moderators. Most everyone is approved to join, but if you don't play by the rules, you can get booted out of the group.

I post something regarding the company about once per month. They don't want you on there everyday. Most of the work we have gotten has been from people posting a question asking for a recommendation and then us getting lots of people dropping our name.

The woman's group I'm in has what they call Working Women Wednesdays. You are only permitted to post about your business on Wednesdays, in the comments of that particular thread after the moderator has posted the thread each Wednesday. Also free.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom