Are any of you still not taking credit cards?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Some real dinosaurs here.

My bank charges 1.8% using their card reader, cash is avail next day. Some consumers use CCfor rewards. As was already stated some consumers will spend more in plastic.

The rich just like to spend. Most don't ask until I'm done so it's a non issue. Still don't have a website. Got yelled at the other day because an old customer had such a hard time finding me. He found me in e yellow pages. Go figure.

Gene

Reactions: Donwand

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I can see how some well established operations have been able to "get by" without accepting CC's up to this point, but the preference on electronic payments is only going to increase as time goes by.

Why?

CONVENIENCE

I see no reason not to offer something so simple, if not for the sole reason as being a convenience to the customer and streamlining the entire cleaning experience, especially when servicing absentee landlords or very busy people since they don't have to set personal time aside to be present for a cleaning, but only have to gain me access to the unit by other means and can then be invoiced electronically.

I would venture to say that the majority of businesses not currently accepting CCs are also somewhat behind the times as far as technology in general, which would encompass effective websites, SEO, email correspondence, review sites, and general Internet/electronic presence as a whole , which all go hand-in-hand, because if they were, they would be well aware of the growing preference and benefits of electronic payments due to it's convenience to both the customer and the provider.

To anyone "Plugged-in", and driving long-term growth, accepting CCs is a no-brainier.

steve_64

I can see how some well established operations have been able to "get by" without accepting CC's up to this point, but the preference on electronic payments is only going to increase as time goes by.

Why?

CONVENIENCE

I see no reason not to offer something so simple, if not for the sole reason as being a convenience to the customer and streamlining the entire cleaning experience, especially when servicing absentee landlords or very busy people since they don't have to set personal time aside to be present for a cleaning, but only have to gain me access to the unit by other means and can then be invoiced electronically.

I would venture to say that the majority of businesses not currently accepting CCs are also somewhat behind the times as far as technology in general, which would encompass effective websites, SEO, email correspondence, review sites, and general Internet/electronic presence as a whole , which all go hand-in-hand, because if they were, they would be well aware of the growing preference and benefits of electronic payments due to it's convenience to both the customer and the provider.

To anyone "Plugged-in", and driving long-term growth, accepting CCs is a no-brainier.

i agree whole heartedly.

i have my first direct deposit payment started with a new customer and i hated it. i dont bank online so i wait for my statement to see if i got paid.

i dislike "having" to check emails or facebook or my website ,which is new, so i dont miss anything which has been happening.

but i am slowly coming around. hek i didnt even have an email account for business three years ago or have the internet. i only got back online because a customer required it.

i just really like my free time and it seems to me technology eats that time up. i feel like a slave to it and i just dabble in it. its just not what i want.

But i do see the benefit of it too.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I just broke down and activated a spare iPhone (which operates this new iPad). So Verizon gets another $500/yr and five more Chinamen have lept out of the Foxconn plant window. Now I just have to get a Square reader and I can accept credit cards.

Reactions: jcooper

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
How can one argue with Gomer's logic? Well said!

However. It is all a matter of varying degrees of convenience. For example:
Gomer does not go Down Town New York and only once a few weeks to Manhattan.
Why?
It is a traffic mass. It is time consuming. In other words, it is not very convenient for him. And he could probably make enough money where he is with less hassle.
Had he solely considered the convenience of his clients, He'd be doing it all the time. Surely had he been "driving long-term growth" and since there's a great demand in NYC for porty hacking at its best, he'd be there.

Being present at all the latest and "greatest" social media fads is great, and at times it reminds one of a mouse chasing its tail. Constant change, fashionable and a large part of it not productive. Not to mention scattering your valuable (and limited) time and effort.
Wouldn't it be spent better on the fundamental (universal) rules of good business. Wouldn't the reward be just as worthy and longer lasting?

So, as always it is a matter of priority, short and long term business goals and understanding of what is more and less important. My heart bleeds for those clients that get overwhelmed by the effort of finding their checkbook. Just like their feelings, it's a good thing to get in touch with, every once in a while.

Being "plugged In" for its own sake reminds one of farting against the wind. Satisfying, no doubt, but at times counter productive.

P.S. My condolences, Art :winky:

Last edited:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Yeah, who needs all that technology!!

I wish we could go back to how they did it in the old days...

Ofer cleaning one of his clients rugs:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You got it all wrong Brian. That rug misbehaved and you saw the consequence.

Good exercise, increased heart beat, improved appetite & muscle tone. And look at the satisfaction, that man (was it Ofer?) had after the beating. I bet you don't get no satisfaction out of your Moore contraption.

Wait till I post what I have Cu do with credit cards :winky:
A bit low tech I admit, but highly enriching:

image-jpg.8172.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ken692

Name
Kenny
Do it, big boost in sales. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the increased volume of sales you get when it's easily paid with a credit card, sometimes people don't even pay their own credit cards instead it's dads or moms so they order more Scotchgard sofas extra cleaning hundred percent go for it do it

Reactions: PrimaDonna

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

Not to mention... When is the last time you had cash or a check available? I haven't used a check in years, if I have cash, it's gone as soon as Miss Cooper sees it. Who am I to tell Ms Smith she cant get her rewards or use a card? If worried about the percent they(square) they take, it's really not a big deal. I'd happily pay 2.5-3% to have a happy client.

People can call and pay over the phone(say empties or out of towners). Many clients we never actually meet.

I just broke down and activated a spare iPhone (which operates this new iPad). So Verizon gets another $500/yr and five more Chinamen have lept out of the Foxconn plant window. Now I just have to get a Square reader and I can accept credit cards.

You'll love it, Art! I've had "Square" for over 4 years now, never had an issue, works great. Plus, the fact that ms smith has seen commercial for these type of readers on TV, often clients will say "oh you have one of those things(readers). They are much less apprehensive about using cards now.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

I'd build it into the price before I'm going to show them a fee(invoice) for that baloney.

We have a small store by us that asks cash or credit before a price(for goods) is given. Pisses me off, I know they are asking so they can tack on their 3%... Negative moment - I no longer go there...

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Todd Millar

Name
Carpet Solutions
I dont credit cards, I never have, but I have to admit in the last year I have had a lot more people asking if I do .
So I am currently looking into it, Any recommendations for a service provider and what are their fees? House call pro ?
Thanks!

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I have only used Square & very happy with it.

Gladly pay the 2.65% fee when its a first time customer or if they request to pay by card, why work your ass off cleaning thier home & then at the most critical point of interaction with the customer you disappoint them by saying "sorry lady you can't have your reward points becuase I am ignorant of new payment methods". I don't understand the hesitation to at least give it a try, takes about 5 minutes to set up & its free...if you don't like it or never use toss it.

A few years ago when Square first came out homeowners were curious on how it worked, now becuase hair & nail salon workers use them for their payment women are very comfortable & trust Square.

https://squareup.com/ca/pos/payments

steve_64

There are no suprises. They are told the price and payment method (cash or check) before the work starts, usually on the phone before the appointments booked for new customers.

Ive only had one customer whine about his points in ten years. I was still his cleaner till he moved.

Reactions: Todd Millar
Name
Nate W.
I thought I read it some place here (I think it was Harper) that it's illegal to add on percentage for taking cards... You can offer a cash discount, but can't charge more for taking CC's....

We been taking CC since 98... You get higher dollar amounts and the money gets in your bank quicker... But there are downsides too... 3% fees, customer can dispute the charges if they're trying to pull a fast one, ect... We do take Visa, MC and Discover... I've been told the AmEx fees cost too much to make it worth taking...

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Actually now legal I have been told to charge the 3% but I agree with some comments here. We absorb the cost. We are priced company here, so offer a premium service and don't knickle dime our customers currently but just wanted to ask...

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
How can one argue with Gomer's logic? Well said!

However. It is all a matter of varying degrees of convenience. For example:
Gomer does not go Down Town New York and only once a few weeks to Manhattan.
Why?
It is a traffic mass. It is time consuming. In other words, it is not very convenient for him. And he could probably make enough money where he is with less hassle.
Had he solely considered the convenience of his clients, He'd be doing it all the time. Surely had he been "driving long-term growth" and since there's a great demand in NYC for porty hacking at its best, he'd be there.

Being present at all the latest and "greatest" social media fads is great, and at times it reminds one of a mouse chasing its tail. Constant change, fashionable and a large part of it not productive. Not to mention scattering your valuable (and limited) time and effort.
Wouldn't it be spent better on the fundamental (universal) rules of good business. Wouldn't the reward be just as worthy and longer lasting?

So, as always it is a matter of priority, short and long term business goals and understanding of what is more and less important. My heart bleeds for those clients that get overwhelmed by the effort of finding their checkbook. Just like their feelings, it's a good thing to get in touch with, every once in a while.

Being "plugged In" for its own sake reminds one of farting against the wind. Satisfying, no doubt, but at times counter productive.

Of course ones own convenience must be considered in such decisions, as well as your customers.

In regards to CC, it is not only a convenience to a growing majority of customers, but also a convenience to me as well, and something that I find effortless to incorporate, again, making it a no-brainer.

Is anything considered a big inconvenience to me likely to remain a convenience to my customers long term and not become an issue at some point?

Regardless of the the degree to which one is "driving growth", there has to be logical service mileage radius in play, or everyone would be covering hundreds of miles?

Traveling into Manhattan to me is equivalent to a 100+ mile round trip, with many other additional risks involved, so although I do have select customers in Manhattan, primarily commercial ones, I don't consider it likely to remain a long-term convenience to myself or any potential new clients, as there are too many factors that can potentially manifest into an INCONVENIENCE for both myself and the client.

"Wouldn't it be spent better on the fundamental (universal) rules of good business."

What are these fundamental rules you speak of, and have these principles not survived the transition to a virtual platform even though they most likely manifest themselves differently?

Staying up to date with the "constant change" and Internet trends is important because it is followed by the masses, so if one wants to maximize their exposure, it's wise to frequent where the masses frequent.

Not going to get that exposure and stay "in front" of the masses in the phonebook.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I have only used Square & very happy with it.

Gladly pay the 2.65% fee when its a first time customer or if they request to pay by card, why work your ass off cleaning thier home & then at the most critical point of interaction with the customer you disappoint them by saying "sorry lady you can't have your reward points becuase I am ignorant of new payment methods". I don't understand the hesitation to at least give it a try, takes about 5 minutes to set up & its free...if you don't like it or never use toss it.

A few years ago when Square first came out homeowners were curious on how it worked, now becuase hair & nail salon workers use them for their payment women are very comfortable & trust Square.

https://squareup.com/ca/pos/payments
I like the ability to send a homeowner an invoice through Square and they are sent an e-mail with the amount, they can then click the pay button and enter their card info.
Way better than leaving a bill behind and hoping they will send it in.

Reactions: Chris A

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
One must also consider the tendency for most people to spend X-amount/% more when paying by CC as opposed to cash due to the emotional reluctance to part with cash monies, and by also increasing the available budget that may otherwise be limited if based solely on the amount of cash-on-hand at the moment.

Sure a check might be an option, but out of the only three payment options out there............

Cash
CC
Check

...........which one is fading into the past the most........especially residentially?

Which one continues to replace cash in more and more common daily transactions and will only continue to do so at even higher rates?

To anyone NOT accepting CC's, if you don't think it's about time to finally start doing it, then I would love to hear under what circumstances would indicate the right time to you.

That right time is INEVITABLE and you already LATE, and are FAILING to keep up with what the masses have widely favored and consider a expected CONVENIENCE.

What the fook are you guys waiting for?

I would put my money on the vast majority of guys NOT accepting CC's do not have, or are not familiar with and utilizing the full capabilities of a good smartphone.

If that happens to be the case, and you also do not have anyone else in your operation that can do it for you, then you have much bigger problems besides just not accepting plastic.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'd build it into the price before I'm going to show them a fee(invoice) for that baloney.

We have a small store by us that asks cash or credit before a price(for goods) is given. Pisses me off, I know they are asking so they can tack on their 3%... Negative moment - I no longer go there...
Why does that bother you? Would you be happier to learn that you are paying 3% more across the board?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
...............I would put my money on the vast majority of guys NOT accepting CC's do not have, or are not familiar with and utilizing the full capabilities of a good smartphone.............
How much money are we talking here, Frank?

Of course ones own convenience must be considered in such decisions, as well as your customers.

In regards to CC, it is not only a convenience to a growing majority of customers, but also a convenience to me as well,........................
Dito.

Therefore, no need to continue because, ......
, again, making it a no-brainer...............

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom