Are any of you still not taking credit cards?

Mikey P

Administrator
if so what reaction do you get from those who just assumed you did and had not budgeted "real" money for the appointment?

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
I don't accept credit cards from my customers. Thankfully, most don't ask and the few that do ask seem a bit surprised. Most will then pay cash or just write me a check. I can't recall losing a job because I don't accept credit cards, but I'm sure it has happened over the past 25yrs.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Crazy not to take cards, I am considering no longer taking checks for payment, too many problems with checks this year

Reactions: susclean

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not taking credit cards, only checks.
Three or four bounced in 26 years, never had a single one that was not eventually honored.

Every five years or so I get a client that will not use my services because I do not accept credit card.
I am fine with that.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Sometimes I think I should start accepting credit cards. But that would mean getting a smart phone and giving Verizon an additional $600/yr for a data plan to use it for that only purpose. Not worth it to me for the few credit cards I might transact.

Reactions: Mikey P

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
when the job is done she says do you take charge. I say no but I'll take a check. She says she doesn't do checks and pulls from a wad of hundreds. I just love Boca.

Gene

Reactions: ronbeatty

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I use costco business services they have a square like setup with a slider to the Iphone or use the app and key it in.

less then 2 percent unless its AMEX they want 4 percent or more. I dont have a bunch of retireess who are filthy rich lots of young familys.

I prefer credit or cash, I only take checks if the address where I'am doing the work is on the check and they're not moving out. That policy has got me zero returns in 10 years. a few NSF's easily collected.

Funny thing is most people with a check book have an ATM connected to that account that act just like a credit card.

If people have to write a check only they're usually trying to play beat the bank at your expense.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Art your successful that smart phone is a business tool a write off and a money maker, pull the trigger. welcome to the real world.

I love my smart phone, I couldnt live with out it now.

I take call's, email estimates, text jobs to wife and get jobs via text's, There's an app called turboscan lets you copy and email pdf's estimates and reciepts to out of the area customers. If I need something I can visit a website place an order and its done.

Reactions: Art Kelley

steve_64

I dont accept CCs.

Genny made me get this phone I was happy without it.

I dislike technology. Makes us to dependant.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I dont accept CCs.

Yep, I can still remember being sent out with a city map and a handful of quarters, that was sooo much better than a GPS and cell phone.

Reactions: Mikey P

steve_64

Yep I can still remember being sent out with a city map and a handful of quarters, that was sooo much better than a GPS and cell phone.
I never have had much trouble finding a location In the past. My gps has sent me to the wrong side of town more than once.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I never have had much trouble finding a location In the past. My gps has sent me to the wrong side of town more than once.
There is a lost art to knowing your terrtory, that is for sure. Here, subdivisions spring up almost overnight so that makes it a little challenging.

steve_64

I just need an address and ill find it. Any city state or country. Its half the fun.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I dont accept CCs.

Do you ever snopes?

It's a fact checker for BS stories so if you hear something that doesn't sound right you can check it before you repeat it.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We started taking credit cards around 10 years ago. Saw a direct correlation in our invoices going up when we started taking credit cards. Anyone that was on the fence about adding work, seemed to do it when it was a credit card payment. Not coming out of their wallet till next month...if they even pay off their card every month. And may like getting all the "rewards" by using the card (points, cash, airline miles etc).

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Brian H

Name
Brian H
And may like getting all the "rewards" by using the card (points, cash, airline miles etc).

My wife and I pay for EVERYTHING with charge cards!! Every few months she cashes in the rewards points she has been saving to get something "free". Over the last couple of years she has gotten for "free" a Kitchen aid mixer, Dyson vacuum, 2 pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, Emerile cookware, etc.

We also will use 18 month, no interest, introductory credit cards to finance projects. We just pay them off in 17 months and close the account. I just paid for a new generator and a portion on my recent addition that way! As long as they keep sending those no interest offers, we will keep using them!

Oh and we NEVER carry a balance. In the last 3 years we have paid zero interest on credit cards.

It's my wife that understands how to play the game!! She rocks!!! :rockon:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
We also will use 18 month, no interest, introductory credit cards to finance projects. We just pay them off in 17 months and close the account. I just paid for a new generator and a portion on my recent addition that way! As long as they keep sending those no interest offers, we will keep using them!

My credit was in the dump badly a few years ago. Finally I paid off all my debt and wanted to get my credit up. I applied for one of those no interest cards and got approved for only $300 in the beginning. Kept using it and paid it off each month, it helped a lot with cash flow and to keep groceries in the fridge when I was waiting on payments and really got serious with the business. Just like Brian said after 18 months I closed it out and applied for another and got a higher limit. Kept repeating the process and got my credit up to where I recent just bought another home and got a great interest rate for it. It's nice to have the flexibility of doing some long-term investing with the cards. I recently bought a new laptop that was a couple thousand dollars and I can just pay for it in a year with no interest. Helps to keep capital available. If you process your cards with Paypal they have something new called Working Capital, it's an interesting concept that can give you some cashflow for larger purchases and you get to select the terms of payment.

Reactions: Brian H

susclean

Name
alejandro c
Some real dinosaurs here.

My bank charges 1.8% using their card reader, cash is avail next day. Some consumers use CCfor rewards. As was already stated some consumers will spend more in plastic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom