Your tips for closing a sale

jerdei

I am new to this forum and to be honest no longer run a carpet cleaning company but rather a carpet cleaning directory online. However I do own several other small businesses and thought it would be nice to start a threat on closing sales and over coming obstacles.

I have always found the hardest people to close to be the price shoppers. Yes they want their carpets cleaned but they are determined to get the lowest price. How do you handle these types of people.

Myself I have always found these lines to work well for me after some says thanks but I am going to call a few more people after I ask for the sale.

I understand you want to get the best deal out there. You are a savvy person for calling around. I can promise you we are not the cheapest out there but that is for a reason. We use XYZ which is a top of the line product and our services have these higher quality products built into the price. Many other cleaners will use sub par equipment and cleaning solutions and we all know you get what you pay for. The price I quoted you is for X Rooms and X service.

After that ask for the sale again. If it's still a no then ask them to do you a favor and give you a call back when they decide on a company and from there you may ( No promises ) be able to do better.

Not always but in about 30% of the cases the customer will call you back and try to have you beat the deal they found. Ask for the company name and if you know your competition and you should, you will be able to make an informed decision and see if you want to match or beat the deal.

I'll chime in with a few more lines if anyone else is interested in hearing me rant. Post your best closing line for customers that are just price shopping.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Good idea for a thread, Jacob. Here is my tip:

I found that relatively few customers were confrontational enough to hit you with the "you are too high for me" objection. (Pardon me for not being politically correct but this especially happens with wimmens) Instead, they would usually give me this "hidden objection":

"Well, let me check with my husband and I'll get back with you."

This one is was a real deal-breaker for me since the hardest objection to overcome is the unspoken one. I knew if I could just get the price issue out in the open I could often work around it but people don't like to admit they don't have the money to afford your services. (Even though this attitude is changing.)

So here is what I came up with:

"I understand your situation, Mrs. Jones. I'd want my wife to check with me too before a decision like this. But let me ask you, before I leave (or hang-up) ... Does the way I have this work order written meet your projected budget?"

Almost always she will hesitantly state, "Well, it is a little more than I was expecting." Once I heard those wonderful words I knew I had a new client because once we had price out in the open it just became a matter of "consultant selling" where she and I would put our heads together and figure out a cleaning program that would give her maximum bang for the buck while still allowing me to make money.

Example: Doing just traffic areas in selected areas, dropping the Scotchguard or even eliminating some work. I had no problem doing this as long as the final work ticket allowed me to both make my "nut" and a profit too. Remember that you have already burned the marketing money to get your phone to ring with this prospect PLUS you have also invested the time talking with her AND even though you are only going to get 'half a loaf" this time she very likely will become a life-time client OR even better a delighted Cheerleader.

I've got lots of other ideas like this in a "Carpet Cleaning Inspection Script" my employees and I used very successfully. If anyone wants a free copy just e-mail me at stoburen@StrateguiesForSuccess.com and put the word "Inspection" in the subject line. If you want the free 30 minute companion DVD just include your mailing address. No spam, no junk mail, no pressure and our famous no-weasel out guarantee is included on everything from Jon-Don.

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Disclaimer: This system works. However, the profitability of it is dependent on you appealing to middle to upper class customers who are not "price oriented" but instead just want to feel in control of the transaction, therefore their "check with my husband" stall question. The vast majority of my "check with my husband" customers were not true price-shoppers. If you are consistently getting really beat up on price you should check a)your advertising, b)your image in the community, c)your personal and company appearance and/or d)your relationship building systems with current and past customers.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
ODIN said:
your about 20 years behind the times there

it's not the same world when you sold the business
Who named you the marketing guru super genius? Fundamentals of sales dont ever change . I think we all could benefit on a crash course of learning how to be a good closer

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Why YES Mrs Phiffelton...mattera fact i AM the lowest price....now WHEN ya wanna do it!

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Steve Toburen said:
"Well, let me check with my husband and I'll get back with you."
Unquote

So here is what I came up with:

"I understand your situation, Mrs. Jones, but ever since women were liberated some years back they have been allowed, nay encouraged, to take ownership of the decision making process. Still want to check with your lord and master??
Oh good do you prefer Monday or Tuesday?

roro
Director of Training
Strategies for Succint Selling

PS Disclaimer: This system works in 0.001% of presentations dependent on your appeal ; the profitability of it is a little RS and needs to be worked on

:?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I always try to get to "do you have a particular day in mind when you would like to have the cleaning done?"
Once they pick a day you usually will have the sale.
Even after the "Check with my husband line".
When she gives me the time frame I go to...

"How we usually do it is pick a day and time to have us come out to your home. We have a look at the areas you would like cleaned, give you a price in writing and we will be ready to start cleaning upon your approval. Of course if you are not happy with the price, there is no obligation or we can work out something that works for you."
Gets a non price shopper everytime.

I love Jenifers line...which really can only work if you are a woman speaking to another woman.
Custy; "well let me speak with my husband and get back to you"
Jenifer; "I completley understand. I want my husband to think I care about his opinion too."

I swear it works for her because she comes across as kidding and has a good laugh with the custy. She has a connection with them and will land the job.

There is more but it's late for me.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ok, so I just scheduled a pre-inspection in order to earn this guys business.
He wasn't sure what the hell to do...didn't want to spend too much money...yada yada yada..but needs it cleaned on Saturday.

I will let you know what happens.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
to sum up what Odin said...................

begging.gif

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
May this and May that!

Then the lady just says , "ALL I WANTED WAS A FRIGGEN PRICE DIPSHIT!"

CLICK!

:shock:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I don't know what kinds of businesses you have. But, you can solve a lot of the price shopper problem by having marketing in place that will bring in warm prospects instead of cold prospects.

As far as closing price shoppers I prefer to move to discousion to VALUE instead of PRICE.

Low price very seldom will bring the long term satisfaction of a great value.

Dave-

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom