Your Experience with EDDM?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I know this is the new thing for the past couple of years. I did a search here and there wasn't alot of info or shared experiences.

When I was at the Tom King one day seminar this was mentioned but somehow I got the feeling that those that discussed it didn't want to let the cat out of the bag, and I couldn't tell if it was because it had been extremely successful or maybe because it hadn't.

Set up a USPS acct today and looked over the postal zip codes that I want to try. Aroung half of my zip code covers about 1250 residences. So I was thinking to alternate both halfs back and forth every other month for the next several months.

For those of you that have tried it are you mailing smaller portions of a zip say 600-800 and doing them more often or are you blanketing a larger area?

What has been your results for those of you that have tried it?

I have done the door hangers and local money saver magazines for the past 2-3 years and although they are decent if you repeat them at least 3 times I think they are just as costly as the EDDM would be. One benefit to me doing EDDM is that I can get the printing bartered out so that would save probably around 65% of total cost.

Last edited:

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Did EDDM twice. First time it did moderately well. Paid for itself and made a little profit. Second time got ONE call. Sent roughly 4000 post cards each time to some select zip codes. Not exactly cheap, but somewhat reasonable if you can get your post cards at a good price. I think timing of mailing is important, Wish I could figure it out. When I think of my My second mailing I still hear the sound of a toilet flushing.

Reactions: BLewis

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks Tony for the reply. One question, did your second mailing go back to the exact zip or did you hit a different one?

I found with my door hangers that I had to hit the same doors 3 times before the numbers began to pick up. Then you you would think you had it all figured out the plan would fall on it's face.

The door hanger company that I used to use was sold out and I witnessed one day when returning to fill freshy tank a couple boys out doing the hanging and they hit a total of 5 homes on my street that has around 30 or so. No wonder the calls dropped off and I stopped this marketing avenue immediately. At least with EDDM you would expect (one would assume) that the piece will actually be dropped off.

Last edited:

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
The Second mailing went to a zip near the first, nicer re$idential area. Actually, it occurred to me that some nutty mailman may have spent too much time on his lunch break at Hooters and threw most of my cards in a dumpster. Just paranoia I suppose. :/

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We have had some success and some total failure

The successes have come from repeated monthly mailings 8-10 in a year
We also had big online presence in these markets at that time
Also had a couple referral sources
Also had a hungry tech that on slow days would go door to door or hang out door hangers

Failure was last year- Some mistakes
Had no online presence, this just happened when all these google changes came and we were booted
Mailed out on junk mail day
New van wrap that nobody noticed
That hungry tech left and the replacement was not as hungry, so no ground game
In this market had no referral source

Really want to take a step back and piece this together into a cohesive plan.

Also in our case the success came in households over $100k a year and the failure was under $100k, another variable to think about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom