Yelps in trouble

Mikey P

Administrator
Screenshot_20181110-152914_Yelp.jpg

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
We dropped them in August and then Sept/Oct our gross was down about $8k each month... was actually going to call them monday to reactivate but now this makes me wonder.....

we were only paying about $700/month on there.

Reactions: Lars

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Google tried to buy Yelp. Failing that, they decided to copy Yelp and undermine them with their own review site, and now going one farther and stepping into the Angie's/Home Adviser/Amazon Services field. Once Google has eaten up all of the competing services, you'll be forced to buy advertising to even show up in a search.

Oh wait, they're already doing that.

We can dislike Yelp for a variety of reasons, but having them around beats the hell out of being forced into the Googlesphere. People hated Microsoft in the 90s for wanting to own your computer desktop; small potatoes compared with Google wanting to own your life.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I blocked all of their numbers from calling so today they had the gall to text me their usual spiel of "How booked out are you?"

Reactions: Connor

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
Our monthly gross can go up or down much more than that and have nothing to do with Yelp..
I meant comparing same months to the previous years while doing paid yelp and then same months not paid

are you still going to keep it going @Mikey P ?

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
100k off yelp is great. I figured you were paying them more per month. We have so many companies here in the 100 review range you kinda have to pay to play a little more.

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
We dropped them in August and then Sept/Oct our gross was down about $8k each month... was actually going to call them monday to reactivate but now this makes me wonder.....

we were only paying about $700/month on there.
Call and buy in for a basic package maybe they’ll give you more for less they took the hit!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I miss the good ol' days of placing an ad in the Yellow Pages. All this online advertising stuff has gotten out of hand.

Ya but most internet Landing pages are FREE!

if you want to get more exposure with way better results then a phone book, also most online advertising is month to month.

You can start or pause a campaign.

The damn phone book you were screwed for year on a bad ad.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
100k off yelp is great. I figured you were paying them more per month. We have so many companies here in the 100 review range you kinda have to pay to play a little more.

All paying does is puts you in the mix in areas you might not show up in organically, and if someone search’s a specific business your ad pops on that search to.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I’ll say this and @Mikey P told me stick with the basic $300 a month plan!

I’ve gone up and down 2-3 times.

First time I jump from $300 for 500 search’s to $500 for 1100 search’s.

That jump did great for 5-6 months I was also the only game on yelp back them with any kind of reviews.

Then winter and the bottom fell out I saw a bunch of other advertisers and I was getting a lot of calls out of the area.

I dropped back to my original 500 search’s for $300.

Then a sales dude got me, with we’re gonna put you on pay per click for about the same as your Paying and you’ll get a lot more exposure.

That worked really well for a few months. Sept was coming and I wanted a big holiday push he called again and said let bump it to $475.

I went with it and my results stayed the same I went from $6 bucks per click to $12 per click.

I did that for 6 months spending more getting less.

I called threatened to quit made my argument I’m paying more and getting less, they agreed and moved my back to my old ad.

The sweet spot.

I’m limited on my area and where I’ll go.

So I dont need a huge budget marketing to millions.

Still yelp keep me at the top of Google and that’s nice with google always changing the way they do business.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Home adviser called me, again. They claim no monthly fees, just yearly $288 for the privilege of receiving screened leads and $22 a lead. Can be turned on and off as desired. Anyone have experience or comments, comparisons to yelp? Thanks

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
Home Advisor is and has been very unethical for a long time. Every since they used to be called Service Magic, google what happened to service magic and why they changed their name

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Home Advisor is and has been very unethical for a long time. Every since they used to be called Service Magic, google what happened to service magic and why they changed their name

Yeah I heard SM changed to Home adviser. Tried SM once. Very hesitant to give them my money. Just wanted to be sure is why I asked.

Reactions: Connor

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I would try and get on Google Services, and make sure you have the google guarantee badge before spending money on ad words

you gotta background check, proof of insurance, techs need background checks etc

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
I would try and get on Google Services, and make sure you have the google guarantee badge before spending money on ad words

you gotta background check, proof of insurance, techs need background checks etc

You mean Google Local Services

Still curious if Mikey used Adwords and how its working......

Reactions: SamIam

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I told the Yelp salesman that their search engine sucks and is designed merely to rob business owners of their advertising dollars.
The biz owner ends up paying for clicks or views by people not even in the businesses service area.
Yelp should have sold out to google... but OZ is right-- its better to have businesses competing for our money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom