Yellow Pages is dead and stinkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name
George Valliant
I finally decided to pull the plug on ALL yellow page advertising. Next year i will not be advertising in any phone books.

It seems like calls coming from the books are fewer and fewer while the advertising rates get higher and higher. (it feels like I'm working for Dex Media with their rediculously overpriced rates)

Guess I'll have to figure out another way to keep the phone ringing.

Anyone else sh$t canning the yellow pages? Or, are you seeing a good return on your yp investment?

Name
Jesse
We advertise in carpet cleaning, tile cleaning, janitorial, office cleaning, and floor care sections. Only the 2 of the 5 categories pull any weight.

There is no real volume of calls, just some good ones here and there that make it worth it.Monday we'll do a $4900 tile and grout job, and Wednesday an $1800 carpet. Both are commercial jobs sourced from YP.

duckster

Kicked them to the curb 2 years ago. Newspaper 3 years ago. The world changed. Some dinosaurs don't know when to die.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I found a better way a few years ago and never looked back.

Some guys never learn.

In these times of electronic communication there are much better ways to market.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have been so lucky to have a great business not only am I not in the yellow pages I am not even in directory assistance

John Alzubi

Yellowpages.com is the way to go. I get a good amount of calls. No one uses the book anymore but old fox.

Bob Foster

Yellow pages are good for holding down the tin foil on top of a hydrogen peroxide soaked stain.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
And I thought all they were good for is a door stop.

Seems like when the are delived a lot of folks let them rot at the door step.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
YP's have always worked for us. The best part right now are the rates. They're a fraction of what they used to be. So far this year the local community books are working better than the bigger players. People use 'em around here, especially the more senior folks and busy folks who can thumb to the carpet cleaning section quicker than they can google it. I'm sure as soon as the directory owners can figure out how to duplicate their print directory success online they'll do away with the print directories. Until then, it's still the simplest way to find a local business. I can't see not having a YP presence.

Just a suggestion, if an ad ain't working it might not be the directory, it might be the ad.

yp2008patuxent.jpg

HARPER said:
SAME HERE.....! WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT THEM....!

image005-1.png

Harper you have a nice ad. I think it is too wordy and you could get your message accross in a more clear and concise way. Here is why I like your ad. First you have a nice photo of your truck. Potential customers know right away when your guys show up that they are going to be in a first class set-up. Second is the photo of you. Not trying to sound weird but you look like a decent stand up guy and people like to see who is behind a company. And last is your guarantee. I don't know if that is the most important thing but I guess it helps. The only problem I can see with that is almost every yp ad has "the most thorough cleaning ever or it's free" or "money back guarantee" etc..

Wayne I think your ad works because of where you are located. Your ad does not convince me at all. It just lists your services and sounds like a chem dry ad. I also don't get your headline "We save more than just dirty carpet. Just ask Josh." Are you saying you offer more than carpet cleaning? What makes you different than your competitors? I am not cutting you down. I am just being critical. I also am not a fan of putting snot nosed kids or pets in carpet cleaning ads. I guess what I am saying is when I look at your ad I see a kid on carpet and that is it. When I look at Harper's ad I see a killer truck, strong guarantee, and I feel like I know the company before they ever show up to do the work. With your ad I feel like I would be clueless as to your method, equipment, and job quality. So then the only thing I have to compare you to every other cleaner in the book is price.

Oh one more thing I missed is the clean cut tech standing in front of that great looking truck. People want a nice clean cut person working in their home. Having a photo of your staff just makes you look more credible. Am I wrong or right on this subject? My yp ads failed simply because I didn't have the time to answer my phone properly and that will not be a problem if I ever do another ad. I got a ton of calls and could have convinced a lot more people to use me but was just too busy to take the time to talk with them.

Name
George Valliant
If your a fan of the Yellow Pages you better enjoy them while you can because they won't be around forever. RH Donnely filed for bankruptcy this year because of 12.4 billion dollar debt and a shrinking clientel base.

Do you really want to keep giving your money to a company that's sinking faster than the Titanic? How many more years do you think those stupid little books will continue to land on your front porch? Five, maybe ten? Their losing advertisers faster than Obama can say "Yes we can".

Nite nite yellow pages....... shiteatinggrin

HEre's the story from Bloomburg http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... qWYvt5TOxE

By Dawn McCarty

May 29 (Bloomberg) -- R.H. Donnelley Corp., the publisher of 600 directories including telephone Yellow Pages, sought bankruptcy protection from creditors to reduce debt by about $6.4 billion amid mounting losses.

The company, based in Cary, North Carolina, had assets of $11.9 billion and debt of $12.4 billion as of Dec. 31, according to Chapter 11 documents filed last night in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Delaware. Nineteen affiliates also sought court protection.

R.H. Donnelly blamed the filing partly on “a significant decline in advertising sales due to the recent economic downturn and increased competition in the local business advertising industry,” according to court papers.

The net loss was $401 million in the first quarter as revenue fell 11 percent to $602 million, the company said earlier this month. Its net loss for all of 2008 was $2.3 billion. Sales have dropped as small businesses move print ads online or cut back on spending amid the economic slowdown.

R.H. Donnelley said May 14 that lenders and bondholders had agreed to forbear until May 28 and wouldn’t take any action on the company’s missed debt payment. In March, the publisher hired Lazard Ltd. for advice on restructuring or refinancing debt.

The company intends to file within 60 days a disclosure statement and reorganization plan that will reduce debt by $6.4 billion, including about $700 million of secured debt. Under the plan, about $6 billion of unsecured bond debt would be exchanged for all of the equity in the reorganized company and $300 million in unsecured notes.

‘Pre-arranged Plan’

“This is not a pre-pack but a very strong pre-arranged plan,” Chief Financial Officer Steve Blondy said in an interview. “Trade creditors’ recovery will be very high if not full recovery.”

R.H. Donnelley expects to emerge from bankruptcy shortly after the start of 2010 with more than $100 million in cash on hand, Blondy said.

Moody’s Investors Service downgraded R.H. Donnelley’s probability of default rating on May 18 to Ca/LD from Ca, signaling a limited default after the lapse of the 30-day grace period. The company has a Caa2 corporate family rating, eight steps below investment grade.

Moody’s said in February that a “complete debt restructuring represents the best alternative of addressing its currently challenged capital structure.” Standard & Poor’s said the same month that R.H. Donnelley would face “challenges” in refinancing $1.2 billion of debt that matures next year.

‘Good Model’

“We have a very good business model; operations continue to be good,” Chief Executive Officer David Swanson said in an interview. “We never anticipated the economic downturn and the condition we find the financial market in today.”

The 30 largest creditors without collateral backing their claims are owed about $6 billion, according to court documents. The biggest unsecured creditors are Bank of New York, as agent for holders of senior notes, with a claim of $3.6 billion; U.S. Bank NA, also as agent for holders of senior notes, with a claim of $2.4 billion; and Google Inc., with a claim of $2.4 million.

R.H. Donnelley, through its units, publishes more than 600 print directories with a combined circulation of about 80 million, and provides advertising services to about 600,000 businesses in 28 states and the District of Columbia, according to court papers.

The case is In re R.H. Donnelley Corp., 09-11833, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware (Wilmington).

joe harper

Name
joe harper
And when the ENTIRE Internet ...

"CrAsHeS"...from a CyBer Terriost WoRm... :shock: they will be knocking the DUST..off those BOOKs.. :wink:

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
I like Harpers ad, too. It conveys a strong of trust. I bet it's effective. I can see why you like it. Nice truck.

We're pretty narrow in our focus, Daniel. We don't create advertising with carpet cleaners in mind. They don't buy carpet cleaning. Generally speaking, they're not women and mothers, either. Consequently, they don't think like women and mothers. Our best customers are women and mothers.

Since women are on the recieving end of what we do we care most about what's important to them. Things like safe, non-toxic products, fast dry times and no worries about returning spots. We don't want them to be just happy or satisfied, we want them to be absolutley delighted. We build on common ground by letting them know we're a family business, people they can talk to, not a faceless corporation.

In our experience, Mrs. Piffleton is no more interested in the tools of our trade than she is in the tools her mechanic or plumber use. She doesn't care what kind of freon she needs, what a reversing valve is, how a GFI works, what size tires she drives on, what octane her gas is, or what size your blower is.

She wants clean carpet. She doesn't really care how it gets there. She's not evaluating our tools or our method, she's evaluating us.

We went to a Chamber of Commerce meeting yesterday morning. We belonged before we moved to Florida and joined again yesterday. When Nancy, the Director of Membership saw us she walked over to our table to tell us, Sherrie, an old customer, women, mother and employee of the Chamber, saw our name on the list of attendees and told Nancy she just feels "really comfortable with Wayne in my home."

We clean carpets but it's that level of trust and comfort our ideal women/mother customers are looking for. We do our best to convey that trust and comfort in our advertising. We've been at it long enough to have a pretty good idea of what works for us.

As far as the headline goes, I guess you've never had a child do something on your carpet you thought you were gonna kill 'em for.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I like Wayne's ad a lot and pretty much agre with all his counterpoints. I also think Harpman did a decent job with his, though it is a little busy for me.

We are fortunate to have brand awareness in Metro Detroit aso alomost all my ads are 1 1/2- 3" i column ads, tthough with all the frickin directories we have I still spend 60k in YP & YP online (down from 100k a few years ago).

Due to our spending level I have access to inside info through middle upper mngmnt at Ameritech YP and the rumor is the hard books will be gone in 2012. There already is a beta online YP book that looks like the paper book and is pretty cool. It is supposed to be avail for public use in late 2010 and then another year plus the hard books cease, probably with the July 2012 editions being the first to disappear.

Ken

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Daniel.
I hope you will come to MikeyFest in Nashville. I sing from the same song book as Wayne. You are not your customer. Love to discuss this with you in the marketing seminar.

danielc said:
Oh one more thing I missed is the clean cut tech standing in front of that great looking truck. People want a nice clean cut person working in their home. Having a photo of your staff just makes you look more credible. Am I wrong or right on this subject? My yp ads failed simply because I didn't have the time to answer my phone properly and that will not be a problem if I ever do another ad. I got a ton of calls and could have convinced a lot more people to use me but was just too busy to take the time to talk with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom