yellow page Pay Per Call

Mikey P

Administrator
Did you know the YP now offers pay per call?

My landscaper pays $22 a call for his business card sized ad..

Kinda of cool..
The bigger the ad the more the $...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They offered it to us if we wanted put a display ad in the KC book. Yea right, join the other 500 cleaners there. :oldrolleyes:

You're right though, they just charge per call. You'd have to have a daily limit in those large metro's or you risk taking a serious hit from a bunch of tire kickers.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Yea - sounds cool..... but keep in mind it's AT&T / Yellow pages guys.

If they put half the effort into marketing their products to the public to actually make them a cost effective way to advertise - as they did mastering ways to cram bogus charges in this program - it might actually be something worthwhile.

In short - steer clear - very clear.

If you care to know what to really expect if you sign up - read on.

It starts off a shiny new way to advertise....... only paying for actual calls rather than real estate in the book or online. What it ends up is your number spammed on their site in non-pertinent locations, "accidental" recycling of numbers used by last years victims who refused to sign on again, and a very expensive white pages.

We signed on - and immediately started getting calls for weed control, window replacement, siding, and 20 other service needs that are not even remotely close to what we signed on for (restoration exclusively - water damage, fire restoration, and mold abatement). Came to find that the numbers were recycled from previous advertisers in old books and online (that still had been live).

Well you can just immediately hang up and not get charged right?..... Nope - you only have 18 seconds from the first ring, to then answer, greet, hear their hello and what the person on the other line is calling for before the charge hits. It isn't even enough time to get that far and hang up let alone offer a response as to that's not us, or we don't offer that, or we are not hiring before the charge hits.

Next was the endless "are you hiring calls" - folks who got online, searched for companies in our industry, and began calling, same deal as above, not enough time to hang up when they stated the reason for their call.

Then I started digging online (yp.com) - well what I found was it was an expensive white pages. When you typed in a restoration pertinent keyword - we were found on like the 18th page........ However when you typed in All Pro (and anything after that) such as spaceships, or yachts, or diaper service, even space travel - our name not only came up in the top position, but in the upper 3 sponsored results - all three positions.

Keep in mind - all of this is happening on the affiliate sites that pull from YP.com as well.

We also had numerous calls from numbers known to be scammers/phishers, and even auto dialers.

Only 3-4 calls in 5 months were actually pertinent..... and even there they get you. We had 2 of those customers (who were instructed to call our direct line and not the ppc number) still used the ppc number, and so 4-5 times each.

Calls for that category ding you for $88 bucks a pop. One of them called in total 6 times. $528 in costs, for a $1900 job.

And good luck trying to fight the charges in any of the above situations. Our phone systems record all incoming calls - I prepped all of the info in a nice tidy package - undeniable proof that 98% of the calls were not pertinent and the result of their cramming - for our rep, who had no words after seeing the dirt he sold. Promised he'd take care of it - and guess what happened the next day.....

He was no longer our account rep..... new guy.... who returned not one call in 6 months, nor will the manager, nor will the regional manager.

The only ATT people we can get to call us - is the billing dept..... trying to collect money they will never see.

I signed up for yellow book's version at the same time as the YP's scam - some of the same problems, however they will work with you on correcting non-pertinent charges - however it is so time consuming to do - it's almost a wash.

Reactions: Giorgio

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Did you know the YP now offers pay per call?

My landscaper pays $22 a call for his business card sized ad..

Kinda of cool..
The bigger the ad the more the $...

I must respectfully disagree, not cool at all. They have been peddling this Pay Per Call crap for quite a while.

Run fast and run far. I can not pay someone to promote a phone number that I do not own attached to my good company name that is spammed all over the internet. Existing customers searching you by name will find the number and you pay for those calls too. What happens when you want to kick them to the curb? The your name and their number still lingers with Bobs Balloon Rental answering. 18 month contract - right?

Maybe if you have no internet presence, it would be better than standing on the corner wearing a sandwich board.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It is a huge scam and I would stay clear.

I will admit at first I thought the idea to be quite nifty and maybe cool but then I thought that Chavez would call just to raise my bill every month

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
What happens when you want to kick them to the curb? The your name and their number still lingers with Bobs Balloon Rental answering. 18 month contract - right?

Actually when you kick them to the curb - they forward the call fro that lingering number to your competitor (next sucker in line who signed on). Found that out last month when I test called the numbers they assigned to me.

They have every single angle covered to wring out as much $$$ as possible from this program.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Sounds like servicemagic on steroids, not a big fan and have heard similar stories that indypro shared.

Connor

Name
Connor
It's the same idea as the GAP, guaranteed ad placement, moneygrab. They own the number and you are guaranteed so many calls per month. You get a bunch of wrong numbers, hang ups and sales calls for other businesses. Every time I was ever offered the GAP program, the account rep called it "new" as if I couldn't remember the offer they made ten years prior.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom