Yellow Page hold out

Mikey P

Administrator
We worked for a lady today who another company referred us to.

I asked her what company and she had to grab her phone book to remember. As she is reaching for it she says:"why don't you have an ad in the book?

"We have a free listing but find that nobody uses the yellow pages anymore..."

"Well how do you get new customers than ?.."

"Oh about half our customers find us on the internet.."

Oh really? I would have never thought to look there for a company to hire.."

this from a 50-ish Public High School teacher :eekk:

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
Alarming!

....she probably is paid more than both of us for her "expertise" in educating our future leaders.

Last time I looked Teachers do not make crap for a living, there is no way I would do what I do for a teachers salary.

Reactions: SamIam

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Last time I looked Teachers do not make crap for a living, there is no way I would do what I do for a teachers salary.

City of Chicago average teachers salary = $76,000 annual + health ins + pension + summers off +++

City of Lake Forest (Suburb) average teachers salary = $106,000 annual + health ins + pension + summers off +++

They probably can afford to have internet.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Alarming!

....she probably is paid more than both of us for her "expertise" in educating our future leaders.

Lee,
If you think that any kid learns about the internet from their teachers, you're really behind the times.
They come to school, already knowing more than their teachers and parents combined.

Real education is fundamental and has nothing to do with the internet.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Most teachers earn every penny they make.
Dan's wife has been a teacher for many years, Shaumburg, Lawrence and now rural Topeka. In the last few years she has moved on to teach the teachers. Not an easy job either, teachers don't like to be taught but the district and superintendent push the initiative through regardless. I also have an aunt and an uncle that teach in the city Topeka school district.

steve_64

City of Chicago average teachers salary = $76,000 annual + health ins + pension + summers off +++

City of Lake Forest (Suburb) average teachers salary = $106,000 annual + health ins + pension + summers off +++

They probably can afford to have internet.

you get away from big cities and teachers pay is about half that or less. i was married to one and my daughter is going to school for it. she is so bright but she loves kids, what are you going to do.

steve_64

ive been asked that question before mike. the phone book is still the source people go to but they are doing themselves in by making the print so small its of no use. also with home phones disappearing so do the white pages.

there have been a few start ups around here who are making business directories.

for me its about distribution. everywhere ive lived ive gotten a phone book. i have several in front of me.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Quite a few actually Marty and based on the caliber of dedicated people I work with in schools around metro Detroit currently that hasn't changed. As a company we have been very active in Business/Education Alliances and I believe it is the rare few bad or uncaring ones that give teachers a bad name~ most I find extremely dedicated.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Maybe things are different up north, but I seriously doubt it. I can think of only one public school teacher that I ever met from my school days that had enough energy to do much more than get out of bed every morning. And, the union mentality they all learned to live with made it worse as time went by. Personally, I can see how Mikeys customer might have became the ignorant way he describes her as being.

There is not a union, federal, local or state worker alive that knows how to put in a full 8 hour work day.

And, they'd last about an hour on the working end of a wand.

PS And, I used to be one of them and thought I was a hard worker who deserved the best pay and all the benies, until I left that dead pool and learned what real life called for.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Having been on the other side being a janitor for about 4 years in a very large school district I agree with Marty.

I got to see first hand how teachers and their union work.

They don't work all that hard in my opinion and that is dealing with them when our kids were in school.

Very few were dedicated like a couple old teachers I used to have.

The men teachers will stay about 5 years or less and they move on to better jobs.

Lazy and won't adapt to different learning styles that some children have.

It's their way or they fail the student.

I wouldn't hire any of them if I was an employer.

They have a typical government union job, punch in and punch out.

I really don't respect them or their liberal attitudes they have.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Having been on the other side being a janitor for about 4 years in a very large school district I agree with Marty.

I got to see first hand how teachers and their union work.

They don't work all that hard in my opinion and that is dealing with them when our kids were in school.

Very few were dedicated like a couple old teachers I used to have.

The men teachers will stay about 5 years or less and they move on to better jobs.

Lazy and won't adapt to different learning styles that some children have.

It's their way or they fail the student.

I wouldn't hire any of them if I was an employer.

They have a typical government union job, punch in and punch out.

I really don't respect them or their liberal attitudes they have.

Geez Jimmy,
You should have put that ("I really don't respect them or their liberal attitudes they have") at the top, so we wouldn't have had to read the entire post.

What a swift move!
Tying the respect and being liberal in one fell swoop. Nifty!

How do you feel about Nancy Pelosi?
I heard she's tough on red neck crime.

Think back on your high school teachers and try to think of one you would hire to work for you.
I love that logic. Not sure if its a condemnation or a compliment.
Be curious to try and think of one here who'd be willing to hire you to work for them.

Last edited:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And I still remember when I graduated highschool at age 20 when the teacher gave me my diploma.

As I shook his hand he told me " You will be simply amazing....once you lower your expectations"

Those words inspired me all of my life and the number one reason I am now a carpet cleaner.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
And I still remember when I graduated highschool at age 20 when the teacher gave me my diploma.

As I shook his hand he told me " You will be simply amazing....once you lower your expectations"

Those words inspired me all of my life and the number one reason I am now a carpet cleaner.
James I've been amazed with you........but then again I'm only a dirty carpet cleaner.:p

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I pick too slow to make the cut.

You know how I know this? I pick my nose often and it's a tedious process, tough to make any money at it.:pig:

Bite me Porksshop! :biggrin:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Don't keep us hanging like that.....
Was that over or under achieving?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom