Yellow page ads with discounts.

Becker

Name
Becker
OK, So here is the deal.

I moved here from Spokane, WA about 8 years ago.

I'm looking to move back and start over.

So while over this pass weekend I pulled out the YP just to see what has changed in 8 years.

I come across this ad.
He lists all the discounts. Senior, Military, blaa blaa blaa.

I then see in a star burst. 10% off for members. the logo used was Safeway.. Safeway is a grocery store chain. They like a lot of stores have a member card for savings.

I highly doubt he got permission to use the trademark of Safeway, as I have never seen any other company tied in with Safeway.

So either this guys is really stupid, or really smart and talked his way into using the mark.

Name
steve snail
If your moving back, you start calling and let people know you are back. if you were good your phone will start ringing pronto.

Becker

Name
Becker
I should, because the guy I sold to is out of business.

I have one contract willing to take me back. Property manager. Not the best pay, but better than avg apartment wages.

I signed a 5 year non compete. That has long since expired, and as I said the guy failed.

I won't call, but I still have the mailing list.

Name
R.J. Povio
Becker,

I would say yes do the mailings. It may cost you 50-75 cents to send a post card or a small letter explaining what has happened and if they would give you another chance. If you had 3000 customers it would cost about 1500 to 2250 to see if this idea is a go. That's better than leaving what you have currently only to find out the guy that bought you out left such a bad taste in you old customers mouths they would never use you or your affiliation with carpet cleaning again (this is highly unlikely for me to believe but is possible).

I would still follow up with a phone call (if they haven't already called you in desperation after receiving your post card) after a week or so has passed just to confirm they would do business with you once again. This will cost some money but more over your time, but would definitely be worth the investment be it a positive or negative outcome.

Let me know if and how you go about doing this, and what your results are in doing so.

Becker

Name
Becker
Printing of the piece is cheap.. Gotprint.com

Postage is set.

True, some clients have since fell in love with a new cleaner, bus some still fall asleep at night dreaming of me.

It will be a slow transition.

Luckily, cost of living is way less.

Definitely call some of your old clients back, whats to loose?

I too am from Spokane and my whole family and a lot of friends are still there. Most of them are pretty connected to the carpet industry (not cleaning, sales).

If you make the move I'm sure I could help you get a few clients, and maybe help put your name back out there.

When are you thinking about moving back? What part of Spokane do you think you're going to want to cover (proper, south hill, valley, etc)?

Becker

Name
Becker
LOL.. if ya know Spokane, then ya know the whole area is game.

My move might happen as soon as 3 months, but might take as long as a year.

Becker

Name
Becker
Spokane county is game.

It would be my 3rd time starting over..

I've learned a lot each time.

Market is starting to turn here, so if thing are looking up, and I can sell here and buy there I will move...

I have no debt otherwise, and equipment is paid for including a near new van.

A couple of years ago when a Boise move was looming I had not problem finding interested buyers in my current customer base.

scott schulte

Hey Becker

That really hurts, you were in town and did'nt stop by? You owe me a beer next time! Are you seriously considering leaving the "Dark Side" of the state and coming back to where the normal people live?

Scott

Becker

Name
Becker
Listen Scott,

I was there for 4 days.
2 days right their in your class room.

And where were you? Montana?

I even called in advance to book the class.

Your on next time I'm in town.

But yes, it will take some doing on my part to make it work, but soon I will be back in the Spokane area.

Becker

Name
Becker
Nahhh Larry.

I got my start back in Spokane. Cleaning windows soon adding carpets.
I was 16 when I started.

I even stopped in and saw a past regular client when I was in town in May.

Still keep in touch with a few, christmas cards etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom