Worst grout haze job ever.

Name
Jeff T
We were asked to remove grout haze on a commercial job. New install, very poor grout product. It is a Home Depot product called Prism.
I put down an acidic cleaner, used a combination of doodle scrub pads, a grout brush, and a Cimex.

Black tile ( 1 inch tiles), black/charcoal coloured grout.

The slurry was BLACK as night. As far as I can tell, the grout was failing as I scrubbed. It was taking off probably a 1/16 th of an inch out of the grout lines.

I stopped, and brought the general contractor in to see the damage.

I backed out, and told them to take another direction.

We received a call that they wanted to continue, and now I’m stuck with it.

What would you do?

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I guess my fear is, after reading the blotch factor from the finish thread on the front page and I could be wrong.

But when trying to get the haze off, Can you damage a newer tiles finish????

I would think the abrasive action couldn't be good.

F

FB7777

If it is a new install, did you try just rinsing , mopping and letting a section dry and compare to see how much improvement is made?

Applying a solution with a 24 oz mop can really help loosen the bond of the grout haze from the tile

Those jobs can be tricky …. Almost never perfect on the first attempt

Name
Jeff T
It was grouted 3-4 months ago. When I went to look at it, there was still dry walling going on, painting, electrical, plumbing etc. i assumed it was mostly just construction dust.
I was very wrong. The tile setter did an atrocious job. He got white grout on the black floor tiles, somehow got black grout from the floor on portions of the tiles on the walls aswell! How the fook that’s even possible? Don’t ask me…

I’m doing my best to NOT go back and finish the job.

Heck, I’m not even billing him for the 2 1/2 hrs I spent on it already.

Reactions: SamIam and FB7777

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It was grouted 3-4 months ago. When I went to look at it, there was still dry walling going on, painting, electrical, plumbing etc. i assumed it was mostly just construction dust.
I was very wrong. The tile setter did an atrocious job. He got white grout on the black floor tiles, somehow got black grout from the floor on portions of the tiles on the walls aswell! How the fook that’s even possible? Don’t ask me…

I’m doing my best to NOT go back and finish the job.

Heck, I’m not even billing him for the 2 1/2 hrs I spent on it already.
Run.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom