Worst February ever?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So far January was down a couple grand from last year, coming off my best year ever.

The stock market bounce and the government shut down didn’t help.

Still we mailed 400 cards in January and 400 more in February.

All with a $20 increase in our minimum.

But offering 15% in January and 10% off in February.

So far this month we won’t even do half of what we did last February.

My tech has worked two days and I’m flying solo mostly and one or two jobs a day.

And it never fails that every bottom feeder customer comes out when they know your desperate!

My wife says it will pick up in March!

But I’m tempted to drop the price increase and remail all 800 cards with a spring special
With last years prices.

I actually was hoping to slow down a bit this year.

Slow down not go out of business.

I usually don’t panicked I’ve ran the same numbers a year for the last 8-9 years.

So I’m starting to panic.

Anybody need cheap wands or tools?

Hahahahaha.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Lastly watching guys go live every minute on Facebook making millions. Give one a sense of what the hell am I doing wrong.

I’ve been at this forever and I can’t see clearly.

It’s a little overwhelming.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
My year has been kind of odd. The busiest January ever. It was like June, but now February is pretty slow. Only 6 jobs last week and so far 5 for this week. Good time to get things done around the house and do TM maintenance.

Reactions: SamIam

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
record January for us by a long shot. This month we are hammered with snow so we are just enjoying the time off before it goes completely nuts in March.

snow isnt that common here so it pretty much shuts everything down.

these are the times when I do enjoy being a smaller sized company with no loans or debt... not watching thousands $$ fly out the windows due to weather.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I don't know what is happening with my business. I can't quite put my finger on it. It seems last year I almost starved in February. I only did about $4,600 for the month. This year it's looking like about $12k for Feb. I'm having the best Feb in the history of my biz.

Like I said, I can't really figure it out, but I think it's a mixture of many things that I put into play this year. Growth and age of the business, Branding, my referral network, mounting repeating customers, reminder cards, raised my minimum, turning down low income jobs, mining better customers, more encap for less fuel cost, upselling Urine work and deodorization, more repairs and dye jobs, and a winning smile.

I keep waiting for the slow period to hit me. I know the phone can stop ringing anytime. I've been actively saving to get through the month, but so far it hasn't been needed. Fine with me. That just means more money I can dump into my rental property fund. I've been turning down jobs all week just because I can't book them until the end of next week. I could probably keep a 2nd van running right now.

My hope is that this is a problem of growth and not a freak thing. It's taken me awhile to grab my market share but I think I've firmly established myself as a player in Shasta and Tehama Counties. Can someone please kick me in the ass and make me hire someone.

Jan 2018 = $5,100
Jan 2019- $10,000
Scratching my head.

I'm wondering if letting my assistant go has anything with the increased business. I wonder how many calls were not answered.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Lastly watching guys go live every minute on Facebook making millions. Give one a sense of what the hell am I doing wrong.

Hang in there Sam. This business is crazy cyclical. Last year I was calling myself to see if my phone was still working. You are just in a low spot right now. It will turn overnight.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I don't know. I'll figure it out later. It's gotta be up though. I'm shoe shopping on Amazon right now.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I’ve hit 16-17k every feb for 5-6 year easy. That was way down from my monthly avg. this year is like a severe drought!

I have called my self a lot! Hahahaha
Thanks guys got to stay positive.

I keep telling my wife we need to move out of here!

CB5E6AEC-2BAD-4E4A-B24A-206E93C55816.png

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Jan 2018 = $5,100
Jan 2019- $10,000
Scratching my head.

I'm wondering if letting my assistant go has anything with the increased business. I wonder how many calls were not answered.

Your revenue isnt high enough to warrant hiring someone. California employees are expensive! Take it from a former biz owner to a now O/O.

Just work on your diet and youll have more energy to be more productive.

I did $17,300 last month by myself. It was 25k last year with chimps. Ive done $10,500k so far this month. I know my income will be down without chimps--but alot less headaches... but now my back hurts.. lol

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So far January was down a couple grand from last year, coming off my best year ever.

The stock market bounce and the government shut down didn’t help.

Still we mailed 400 cards in January and 400 more in February.

All with a $20 increase in our minimum.

But offering 15% in January and 10% off in February.

So far this month we won’t even do half of what we did last February.

My tech has worked two days and I’m flying solo mostly and one or two jobs a day.

And it never fails that every bottom feeder customer comes out when they know your desperate!

My wife says it will pick up in March!

But I’m tempted to drop the price increase and remail all 800 cards with a spring special
With last years prices.

I actually was hoping to slow down a bit this year.

Slow down not go out of business.

I usually don’t panicked I’ve ran the same numbers a year for the last 8-9 years.

So I’m starting to panic.

Anybody need cheap wands or tools?

Hahahahaha.
400 is not a lot Sam. Look into doing EDDM to your target client. Do at least 4000 of them. Don't lower your rate, throw in something if you feel compelled. Free hallway or chair cleaning

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Of the 25K how much was chimp change? Did you net more by yourself?

The chimps got 27% but about 40% total when all employee costs are figured in.. but they did most of the work and I was mostly just management and maintenance worker.
Janaury and feb are our slow months.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
The donald trump middle class tax hike will hurt our customers and trickle down to our services. I think it get even worst in 2-3 years when more write offs are eliminated.
Tax refunds are down by average of 8%.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

You are not the only one stressing out, Sam(it's that time of year).

I will say your state is weird, I've got buddy's that clean in Ca and have been told many times that people(weirdos) will cancel if there is even a chance it MIGHT rain. Which obviously is crazy because you generally have fantastic weather... All flipping year.

Even though it might not be cold(in Ca), people are in winter mode. For us it's repeat clients and sellers/buyers/renters just about all that's happening.

On a good note... Lowest google bill of the year!

The donald trump middle class tax hike will hurt our customers and trickle down to our services. I think it get even worst in 2-3 years when more write offs are eliminated.

They need to find better accounts...

Standard deduction for married couple went up from 12k to 24,400. Most people don't itemize.

Child tax credit(right off the top of your bill) went from 1k per kid to 2k per kid this year. Democrats fought hard for the child credit it's appreciated. 4k right off our bill!

As a small biz, entrepreneur or self employed person, some also qualify(this year) for a 20% deduction to income before expenses.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
400 is not a lot Sam. Look into doing EDDM to your target client. Do at least 4000 of them. Don't lower your rate, throw in something if you feel compelled. Free hallway or chair cleaning
400 is customer who used us 6 months and a years ago.

But ya EDDM DISFUNCTION sounds good!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Plus the cost of living here is through roof the homeless problem is crazy. Tent cities popping up along freeways.

I see attrition be retiree guy taking his equity and retirement and leaving state, while young people are getting good jobs they’re mortgage and rents are higher. There’s less and less expendable cash.

If you qualify for the tax write offs great but the interest on your mortgage write off is gone now.

And there our new governor is going to add a $700 tax to every tax payer to keep California care afloat.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
You are not the only one stressing out, Sam(it's that time of year).

I will say your state is weird, I've got buddy's that clean in Ca and have been told many times that people(weirdos) will cancel if there is even a chance it MIGHT rain. Which obviously is crazy because you generally have fantastic weather... All flipping year.

Even though it might not be cold(in Ca), people are in winter mode. For us it's repeat clients and sellers/buyers/renters just about all that's happening.

On a good note... Lowest google bill of the year!

They need to find better accounts...

Standard deduction for married couple went up from 12k to 24,400. Most people don't itemize.

Child tax credit(right off the top of your bill) went from 1k per kid to 2k per kid this year. Democrats fought hard for the child credit it's appreciated. 4k right off our bill!

As a small biz, entrepreneur or self employed person, some also qualify(this year) for a 20% deduction to income before expenses.

agreed that us biz owners did benefit and people with children. but people with high mortgages and high state taxes may be paying higher taxes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom