Why do some people buy this stuff?

Name
Jeff T
I was at the shop today prepping for my big overnight job tonight . I decided to process a couple of rugs as well. This rug was a bit of a pain in the butt. The braids are 10” long, and had to be cleaned(carefully) by hand.
Why do people buy crap like this? It was 100% wool, and very dirty, both on the top, and back.....
3E717A67-EC61-401E-A646-98F679A1CD07.jpeg
C1B213C9-DAC8-4196-8519-11268CD5A999.jpeg
7B3A6E24-A520-479A-9D79-694BE0B0D7A0.jpeg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just delivered one like that. We charge a little extra to clean the fringes. People buy it because they've seen it on tv show. Designers just love the texture, of course they have no clue on how to clean or even vacuum it

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
That's a popular one too. Cleaned many of them. Thank God Saiger gave me the idea to use a "Leaf blower" to dust and dry those rugs.
Actually it's a "dog dryer" but leaf blower is easier to picture and comprehend.

Ron K

oh my....hang it....use a 32oz squeeze bottle or a pump up....soap dejure....Just like milking a Cow squeeze it to agitate....rinse dejure,....2" Cuff portable easy peasy...dry with fan.
Say MOOOOOOOOO!
If you need heat to rinse, go forth, pressure washer could work too just be careful.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Why do people buy crap like this? It was 100% wool...
Which makes it easier to clean than any of the rayon rugs that make up about 5% of the high end rug market these days.

Long shags may be tough to clean with a wand, but easy to clean with a compression roller in a pit. Handling when wet and getting them dry quickly is a little harder.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton
Name
Jeff T
Bought a Makita cordless concrete vibrator today. Forget a tumbler, forget using a CRB, this thing does multiple things in the rug pit. Use it to vibrate dust from the rug when dry, agitate the acid in for urine rugs, and agitate after putting the cleaner on in wash pit.... the color of the water went from pale yellow, to Center line yellow in 5 min. on a urine soaked rug... money well spent....

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Bought a Makita cordless concrete vibrator today. Forget a tumbler, forget using a CRB, Use it to vibrate dust from the rug when dry
How acturally do you do that? Please explain more.
I was thinking of getting such a tool to use to vibrate some olive trees at my freinds cabin during the next harvest time. Maybe using it in the rug shop also will justify the purshase.

Name
Jeff T
Well, I returned that rug in the OP, and the other one of hers(sisal denim/cotton weave). She was obviously happy with the work, as she sent me away with a 12’ by 16’ Wool.... Just when I think I’m caught up on rugs, SOMEHOW, I’ve got 7 more in the shop again...

Name
Jeff T
Hello! Can you hear me??
How do u do that? Do you just hang the rug and pass the "dong" over the front and rear?
Sorry, I’ve got a grate that I put the rugs on to dust. I then vac them both sides. That’s where the vibrator comes in handy. I run it over the surface, both directions, appropriately 1’ apart from each pass. You’d be amazed at the shyte that’s left in the rug. I’m in the process of setting up a tank, as the heavy duty custom tarp I had made takes up WAY to much space. I know some guys use a leaf blower/dog dryer system, but I find it blows the dust all over. I’m buying a 30” municipal plastic culvert, and creating a tank of sorts... once the rug is ‘dusted’, I will then put it in the tank, fill with water and cleaning solution, and use the ‘vibe’ to agitate.... poor mans centrum force.....

Name
Jeff T
Sorry, I’ve got a grate that I put the rugs on to dust. I then vac them both sides. That’s where the vibrator comes in handy. I run it over the surface, both directions, appropriately 1’ apart from each pass. You’d be amazed at the shyte that’s left in the rug. I’m in the process of setting up a tank, as the heavy duty custom tarp I had made takes up WAY to much space. I know some guys use a leaf blower/dog dryer system, but I find it blows the dust all over. I’m buying a 30” municipal plastic culvert, and creating a tank of sorts... once the rug is ‘dusted’, I will then put it in the tank, fill with water and cleaning solution, and use the ‘vibe’ to agitate.... poor mans centrum force.....
Once it’s set up, I will post a ‘Saiger’ style video... I’ll even use my Canon DSLR set up on a tripod so it looks somewhat professional...

Name
Jeff T
How acturally do you do that? Please explain more.
I was thinking of getting such a tool to use to vibrate some olive trees at my freinds cabin during the next harvest time. Maybe using it in the rug shop also will justify the purshase.
I do know that the machines they use to shake olives loose are WAY more powerful than a cordless concrete vibrator. You can buy more powerful units (1 - 3/4 hp), but they are anywhere from 500$- 2500$... the Makita works fine for my application....

Name
Jeff T
I know setting up a ultrasonic tank big enough for area rugs is 35-50k.... I’ve looked into it. Probably a killer combo between that and RO water... but the cost....

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I do know that the machines they use to shake olives loose are WAY more powerful than a cordless concrete vibrator. You can buy more powerful units (1 - 3/4 hp), but they are anywhere from 500$- 2500$... the Makita works fine for my application....
Want big shakes? Get a Harley.

I wonder if ultrasonic agitation would work or would it cause bleeding?
Ultrasonics work on hard surfaces. They work on textiles only in very specific circumstances using very specific procedures. In an open tank and loose rug the fibers absorb and mute high frequency energy before it does any good. The industrial vibrators (just a motor spinning an eccentric weight) will produce the larger, lower frequencies needed to agitate textiles.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Jeff T
I ordered a custom poly tank/trough today. I’m getting it made 30” wide, 30” deep, and 12’ long. It will have a 3” flange all the way around. The material will be 1/2” thick, and am plannig to build a heavy duty frame for it.... he’s going to router the entire upper lip/edge, so it will be rounded as not to catch any fibers when I’m dragging the rug in or out of the trough. I’m also getting a 2” ball valve put into the bottom. Even after all this, I will still only be out approximately 5k total cost setting up my rug pit. Sure Centrum Force will do a better job, but I don’t do the volume to justify spending 200k.....

Ron K

Want big shakes? Get a Harley.

I have tried, bought and made many tools to get dry grit out of a rug.
1) Pulled all the bristles out of a pile lifter brush, milled slot's into it, then replaced with leather.
2) 3" X 24" solid square Aluminum bar, pillow blocks, 1/2 Motor, lawn mower handle actually worked too good!
3) Pneumatic Railroad car Shaker attached to a wooden block with many metal chair/furniture slides. The "shaker" is designed to
shake RR cars to remove dry goods and powder from them. I attached this to my 20hp Rotary Air compressor it did work.
The dog groomer ran out of her shop next-door , she thought we were having an Earth Quake!
These are all for sale!:hopeless:

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom