What's the best method for removing wine stains?

hanks75

This is my first wine stain. The stain has been there for approx. 30 days. It's about a foot wide. I think she tried to use a carpet stain remover from wal-mart, which lightened the stain a little but didn't remove it of course.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Unless she's really made a mess of it, it will probably just clean out.

If not,rinse out the GKW she used ("God Knows What") and try a tannin spotter. Unless the carpet is wool, that should do the trick.

Use a peroxide based spotter (after rinsing out your tannin spotter) as a last resort.

Let us know what works for you.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
rinse out the GKW...LOL...

Rinse the area real good and remove all the crap both you and her put on it......

This is a trick Mike taught me and it still amazes me how well it works....

Take some ammonia and put it in a spray bottle and mist the wine area...
then take some 30 or 40 volume peroxide and put in another spray bottle.....(I don't like to mix them ..it doesn't seem to work as good)....and mist the area with the peroxide ......

when the ammonia hits it...(red wine)......it will turn a dark purple...once the peroxide hits it 9 times out of 10 it will disappear before you can put the bottles away.....If by chance you hit that one time it does not all go away ...after you are done cleaning....just mist the area as I described above and cover it with a paper plate and time should take care of the rest ............

Kids...never try this trick at home or on wool carpets..........

harryhides

Name
Tony
This has been my MO for decades, works for me.

harryhides said:
Digital cameras are now very good and affordable. I use a Cannon, PowerShot G2 which is 4 Mega Pixel unit - works very well for me.

Always take high resolution shots for printing flyers and brag books.

Always take several pictures with & without flash - I average 10-20 per job.

Always take before and aft pics from the exact same spot ( mark the spot with something) and always with some fixed reference point in the background like an outlet or door frame and some size reference like your biz card or a pen.

Edit your 10-20 shots down to 2-4 of the best.

Always make a copy to resize down to 600 pixels for use on your web-site.

Uses of pictures:

To promote your biz.
To protect yourself by recording damage before you pick up a Rug, Furniture or attempt a stain removal or other correction.
To help you to remember details of something you saw at your suppliers place or at Connections - Truck layout, a wiring or plumbing layout, equipment storage etc.
To record your office and cleaning equipment/accesories for insurance purposes.
For teaching purposes for yourself, your friends and your employees.

Some examples:

Before and after Wine stain -

Wine1.jpg

Next some Ammonia was sprayed onto the stain. If the customer is watching, tell them that it will turn green - they will be impressed though who knows why.

Wine2.jpg

Towel off, re-spray with ammonia and add equal amount of Hydrogen Peroxide.

Wine3.jpg

Give it a few minutes a and then towel off. If the stain is still visible, repeat the process and if that does not do the trick apply some steam.

Wine4.jpg

For training/teaching purposes. -

What happens to a cotton towel when Peroxide is used onto it.

CottonPO2.jpg

What happens when you clean around a door that rubs on the carpet.

DoorStain1.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Depending on the carpet.
Play with alkalinity and acidity.
You can use amonia (Not on wool. Diluted)but usually you do not need to go that high on the pH (normally PH of 10 will do it.) Alkalinity will turn it blue, acidity will turn it red. Than follow with something on the acid side, once again do not start with the strongest acidity, start mild. You can always go stronger if you decide to.
Peroxide type cleaners use only if the previous does not work as it is more aggressive (again, start with a milder concentration. No need to bring the artillery to kill a fly.
Good luck

GRHeacock

And there is the trick I learned at the home of Efraim Zimbalist Jr.'s home- (Yes, the TV and movie Star). Some time about 1960 or so.

I got a call to go there to remove a wine spill from a white wool carpet.

When I got there, the housekeeper had poured a mound of plain salt onto it.

I vacuumed up the salt, with a tank vac, and that had drawn all of the wine up into it.

The carpet was clean under the salt.

Of course, this only works on a fresh spill, but I found talcum will also work.

But an older dried in spill is different.

Wine contains acid, sugars, and other ingredients for flavoring. That's why it turns red- or blue if you change the pH of it.

Some wines- mainly the cheaper varieties- also contain a red dye, which needs to be bleached out after removing the main ingredients.

Gary

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The easiest way I have found is to use StainMagic. It works well, like magic.

Make sure you have a fresh batch.

Saved several pieces of furniture and carpets with just a mist.

Most of the time the stain will disapear in seconds.

Don't use heat! It may lighten the color.

Dave Yoakum-

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom