What's happening to the management of Connections Vegas?

Bob Foster

We had all that controversy last year about where all the money was going and who was on the payroll. So what has been done about it? Was their an audit? Are the results public?

Personally I would like to see one Connections that alternates east and west every other year. And a different look with different better keynotes presenters than someone trying to sell books or a retreat.

And Lumpkin wants a better parking spot for his Segway.

Someone has to be making a serious profit on the electricity they are selling there....2 outlets was like 150 bucks per booth....

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I agree Bob, though I have never been to any event in any industry that the speakers weren't trying/offering to sell books or cd's. The prob as I see it is that when it is the same one's over and over it diminishes the drawing power.

Ken

Becker

Name
Becker
Moving it out of Vegas?

That would be a huge mistake IMO.
Even every other year.

If one plans, finding a cheap room is not a problem.
A rental car if they want.
Always huge deal on airfare.
Lots of things to do in the area besides the show.
Weather is real never an issue.

Vegas is a love/hate city.
That can be said for the vendors and the visitors.

IMO, Moving it could spell a drop in vendors until they see attendance records for the unproven local.

I seemed to me attendance was down last year, by both visitors and vendors. Will be interesting to see what 2009 will bring.

That is if I can afford to go myself.

As for all the money stuff, I'm not a vendor. I more or less do the free trade show, maybe a Vendor party or 2. So the way I see it, I'm not paying for anything.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Bob why in the world would a company tell you or anyone else where their money is going on who is on their payroll? I am totally confused. Do you think they are a non-proift company?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Rob;

The electrical and most of the booth extra charges go to the "exhibition" company.

The attendance registration and and booth exhibition fees go to the management company.

I would agree that Vegas is the best location, for drawing a sizable crowd.

Larry

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Bob,

I would have thought by now you would have joined the Board of Directors of one of the owning Associations to find out the details. It is the owning Associations who have principle interest, and their right to know.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I agree with Shawn and John~ it is not our right to know anything. It may be the right of those paying to be a part of it to know but even that is questionable. Do all your customers get a copy of your bank statements and year end tax return if they ask?

Ken

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Members have the ability, but not always the disposition, to make improvements.

In every non-profit trade association (which is how Connections is incorporated) it is everyone's right to know everything. By law, anyone who asks must be given a copy of the bylaws (by law right?), the minutes of board meetings, and the financials. Since we've had individuals request this information from the CCINW, we just posted it on our website. No secrets allowed in the non-profit arena.

A privately held company can keep secrets from everyone but the government, banks, insurance companies, ex-wives...

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I don't know who everyone is or if you are correct Bryan, but if so I would think someone who cared would have asked and if not recieved filed a complaint with the appropriate government entity that regulates/enforces this.

Bob Foster

The Great Oz said:
Members have the ability, but not always the disposition, to make improvements.

In every non-profit trade association (which is how Connections is incorporated) it is everyone's right to know everything. By law, anyone who asks must be given a copy of the bylaws (by law right?), the minutes of board meetings, and the financials. Since we've had individuals request this information from the CCINW, we just posted it on our website. No secrets allowed in the non-profit arena.

A privately held company can keep secrets from everyone but the government, banks, insurance companies, ex-wives...

Pay attention to this comment as it is dead on. Bryan was also a founder of Connections.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I agree Ken. If they are listed as a Non-Profit, which if true, then that changes things. I personally don't care but if you really care then all you have to do is follow proper procedures and I am sure they will do the same. I couldn't imagine if they are Non-Profit NOT following the rules and procedures to the letter of the law.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Pay attention to this comment as it is dead on. Bryan was also a founder of Connections.
Maybe member of a founding association would be more accurate. I was involved in a secondary way as a CCINW director. No one individual can say they were a founder, initially it was just intended to be a joint CFI/CCINW convention. There are individuals from both associations and the PCUCA that did the heavy lifting to get Connections going, but I think they are guys that wouldn't care much about recognition.

G

I thinkthe person with the most interest in this is e-VAN keeslar....he doesn't want anyone to see the cookie crumbs and melted chocolate on his grubby fingers.....

I like being next to him...he makes me appear svelte.

1404742138_f798abfba1.jpg

Bob Foster

There is no secret that there has been controversy surrounding Connections over how much is or has been paid to who for what. And concern has come from not just the grass roots but people right at the top of the associations that have to place their comments carefully for fear of reprisal from "influential" people and groups. Influential as in if your kicked out of the old boys club suddenly you don't have the connections you use to or the contracts or executive position. The people that hold these concerns come from the highest unquestionable credibility.

Expressed another way, I don't think we are getting the best value for our money for Connections. I believe many of the exhibitors would say the same. In comparison to conventions from other similarly sized and funded associations Connections is a stale joke.

Time for change. I like Vegas too but wondering if the compromise to get more to attend might be to move it to a different location. There are worse places on earth than Nashville. (and I don't care for clipityclop music)

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
It would be only fair to everybody to put it in the middle of the country like Kansas City.

G

Kansas City looks like a beautiful place....

from 35,000 ft!

Why would you want a convention anywhere other than Vegas? So much to do other than listen to infomercials!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
There are worse places on earth than Nashville.
New Orleans or Detroit?

You're trying to draw people and vendors, so the city has to have outside activity and direct flights from most anywhere. Also you're comparing whatever town to Vegas, so the Grand Ole Opry and Merle Haggard's tour bus won't cut it.

What's KC got going for it? How does it compare to St. Louis?

Chris A

Name
Chris
I won't got to a janitor's convention in Vegas, I'm sure as hell not gonna go to one in Nashville <snore.....>

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom