What would you do....an NO we can't burn the house down!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a house we are estimating and it has a crawl space with 4-inches of sewage.

It currently has only one access point, and it is only a couple of feet tall in that area.

So to do the job, the carpet and pad will need to be pulled back, the subfloor pulled up to create actually entry points in areas that have more space to work in.

Would you dry the crawl space and sewage, then cover with fresh dirt and add moisture barrier (6-10mil sheeting)?

Dry it and remove several inches of the dirt and replace with new dirt, no moisture barrier?

I've heard of installing gas mat with a exhaust fan, but I don't think she will have coverage for it and doubt she can afford it on her own.

Crawl spaces are always a b*tch, but even more so when it's sewage. :shock:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Its going to be more work, but I bet the homeowner would sleep better knowing that there was an attempt to remove it. Even if you can't get it all. Then go back over itwith a moisture barrier and pea gravel over the top of the barrier.

Oh yeah and lots of febrize!

-JB-

Name
JB
Call Mike Rowe and make him do it.

mike_rowe.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea we usually use the septic guys when we can get them.

I doubt we will get the job, the adjuster said dogs and cats poop and pee all the time outdoors so he doesn't see an issue. :shock:

It would have a real hassle, we have other hassles right now, so no biggie!

minuteman

Had one like that a year ago at a relatives home found it when I cleaned the carpets by the smell,
the toilet 4" pipe separated from the floor and had been like that for weeks, called in a septic co.
pumped out as much as he could set 4 fans for a week to dry went in pulled out 2" of dry crap and put down about a 1/4" layer of lime,sprayed microban on all the wood just to make her happy, had the plumber replace the pipe. We where lucky and had 3' of crawl space on that one.

My first was the worst, 2 & a 1/2' or raw sewage in a home in the hills caused by the LADWP working two streets above fixing the sewage main line, they shut down the wrong main catch & the house ended up being the lowest collection point for all of it, gutted the whole place, nothing was salvaged the DWP just cut her a huge check. That one was gross.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea Greg we had one just like you described in December, fortunately it was winter and didn't smell as bad as it could have.

This one was/ is going to a real problem, enough sludge down there that is is causing secondary problems in the home.

We were called to estimate a roof leak that turned into a mold concern, then stumbled upon this. They also had a third issue in the home from a leaky tub.

BULLDOZER!

Call a company with a vac it truck to suck up as much as possible.
Cover with hydrated lime.
Visqueen.
Beer.
Pay me for the great idea. :)

I just sent the adjuster the bill for a sewage job in a 1400 sq ft finished basement gutted everything including kitchen bar area cabinets really big job for me just under 20k...Many floors and subfloors....Then today the customer called me and they had another back up. Called the adjuster and he said that they home owner would have to file another claim. I talk to the home owner and he is calling insurance. I am suppose to start job in the am.(His request)
Rich do you think that this will get covered again? The insurance is paying but the city has accepted responsibility. It's a problem at the main and they have been waiting for the city to fix it since March 18. Thanks for any advice you have?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Fred is right, it should be covered. The city may just have you bill them if they know they are liable.

One thing we do on third party losses is make the homeower or property owner ultimately responsible. We got tired of the third part failing to pay or dragging their feet on payment.

We explain that we will bill the third party as a courtesy, but should something fall through, it is their property being restored, so they are ultimately the security for payment.

If they don't agree, we walk (actually we tell them this over the phone), I just hate doing free work.

We may miss out on a few, but when push comes to shove on payment we remind them of their agreement and they have an interest in helping us get paid.

FCC said:
Should be covered.....insurance will subrogate
You are exactly right. I spoke with the adjuster and he said the home owner will have to file a seperate claim... This is the 2nd back up after the original...The second time it was just a small area so I cleaned it up for free(trying to be nice and help out my client)...This time it is a lot worse its going to be a full day for 4 of us....plus I'm going to have to clean disinfect all of my equipment again....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom