What course of action would you suggest?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
A guy in Aussie sent me these two photos requesting help as to the best course of action.

It is a wool cut pile through most of the house. The colour is dye bleed from an oriental rug. He has tried both reducing agents and oxidising agents to no avail.

THe client is wanting it tidied up quickly as the house is going on the market. The room is north/west facing so gets a lot of sun but the only mat she has is not faded any where near close enough for a prominant area repair.

Abbey1.jpg

Abbey2.jpg

THe tech returns to the job Thursday.

John

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
depending on if it were vegtable dye or synthetic, if its synthetic based, MB as a product called Magic that is awesome on synyetic dyes and is heat activated. If you can't get it down there, give MB a ring and talk to there Tech support to see what would be a compatible product.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
May not be anything that can be done with cleaning procedures now, but for next time he should use household ammonia to pretreat and then use a heated detergent to rinse. Chances are it could all have been cleaned out. I'd try household peroxide misted over the light discoloration, and quit after trying a reducer. The darker spots could be pulled and the areas retufted using fibers stolen from other areas. A last gasp for the light discoloration would be a light rub with a grill brick to take the tips of the yarns off.

If it weren't for the impending sale, I'd suggest just leaving it exposed to all the nice light coming in that door and let it fade away.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I guess you guys work with wool allot more them me but, I would think there would be some fiber damage if you found the chemical aggressive enough to take it out. Seems like the only fix at this point try is to dye it all red or replace. Did your friend clean the area rug in place? If not, I would not invest allot of time in cleaning attempts. I doubt he can justify charging much for all the time he spent on that.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
No Mike,

He was not responsible for the marks in the first place.

If it had been me, I'd have tried to line up the pile reversal on both pieces and done a bonded insert.

He got back to me and he tried the tufts first, but found the bottom of the tufts were a lot worse and more extensive than the top indicated. So he removed the area and patched it... didn't look crach hot but he is only new to this repair thing.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom