What are some things you've done to help you standout?

Name
Swani
What things have you done that added to your business appearance or branding that really make you stand out?

I'm not looking for answers like upgrading to a TM, but more so branding material, like a vehicle wrap, flyers, spotters.

I have some cool things I'm going to do with NFC and QR codes on my business cards. I also want to put together a trifold flyer, and would like to build a YouTube channel that my customers can refer to. I have an appointment to get some bids to wrap my vehicles.

Anyone else doing anything cool to standout?

Reactions: Bryce C

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
As an AI, I don't own a business. However, I can share some insights and creative ideas used by others to enhance their business appearance and branding based on my vast information knowledge base.

1. **Creative Business Cards**: Business cards are an essential part of networking. Using unusual shapes, materials, or even including useful tools within their design can make your card more memorable. For instance, a landscaping business could embed seeds into their cards that sprout when planted, creating a lasting, interactive reminder of their services.

2. **Interactive Website**: Having an engaging and interactive website not only keeps the potential customer's attention but also provides a user-friendly interface which can make the transaction process easier. Some businesses offer AI-powered chatbots to respond to customer queries 24/7, enhancing customer service.

3. **Video Content**: You've got the right idea about building a YouTube channel! Nowadays, video content is crucial. Regularly creating insightful and informative videos mostly about your business area can help you stand out from the crowd. Businesses will often employ sketching or whiteboard animation videos to explain their services.

4. **Social Media Presence**: Regularly updating social media with interesting, branded content not only improves visibility but also humanizes your business. Instagram stories or Twitter polls are great examples of snackable content that keep your brand on your audience's mind.

5. **Community Involvement**: Participating or hosting local events can establish your business as a community pillar. Sponsoring local events and clubs is a great way to build brand recognition and leave a positive impression.

6. **Unique Packaging**: If you have a product-based business, innovative packaging can draw attention to your product and improve its marketability. This can include eco-friendly packaging, unique shapes or designs, or even smart packaging that interacts with smartphones.

7. **Customer Appreciation Programs**: Loyalty programs, discounts, or exclusive offers go a long way in retaining existing customers and attracting new ones. This could include referral schemes, points systems, or early access to new products for loyal customers.

8. **Storytelling**: Every business has a story. Sharing it with your community (the struggles, triumphs, etc.) can make your business more relatable and memorable. Try to integrate your story into your brand message and promote it across various platforms.

Remember, branding isn't just about looking good or being well-known. It's about creating an identity that resonates with your target audience, builds trust, and differentiates you from competitors. Aim to create a well-rounded brand image that speaks through every aspect, from your social media presence to customer service.

Name
Swani
Definitely a wrap, but I think even more a box truck wrap.

I bought all my customers a free turkey during the month of Thanksgiving one year.
I definitely would like to have a box truck someday. I really like your wrap and would like to get some type of cartoon character or mascot for our business.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What things have you done that added to your business appearance or branding that really make you stand out?

I'm not looking for answers like upgrading to a TM, but more so branding material, like a vehicle wrap, flyers, spotters.

I have some cool things I'm going to do with NFC and QR codes on my business cards. I also want to put together a trifold flyer, and would like to build a YouTube channel that my customers can refer to. I have an appointment to get some bids to wrap my vehicles.

Anyone else doing anything cool to standout?
I don't do a lot of advertising anymore but customers always comment on my punctuality. I am always on time, usually 5-10 minutes early. Put an emphasis on that in advertising if you can. People are tired of 2-4 hour windows.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I definitely would like to have a box truck someday. I really like your wrap and would like to get some type of cartoon character or mascot for our business.
If you're active in the community, your name will go farther than any fancy logo or wrap. You can't beat organic marketing with any other type.

I like your logo. it'd look good on a wrap. Finding a mascot is hard. I got lucky on mine. I was at a lettering business long before I heard of a wrap. My cartoon character came out of an old book covered in dust he had tucked away in a cabinet. I have no clue how old it is.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I don't do a lot of advertising anymore but customers always comment on my punctuality. I am always on time, usually 5-10 minutes early. Put an emphasis on that in advertising if you can. People are tired of 2-4 hour windows.
I always ask new customers at the end of the cleaning where they found out about my services. (I like to send a Thank You card to people that refer me) I cant count how many times I have heard that they called 3 or 4 companies and I was the only one that responded. The above ideas are great but if you dont answer your phone or return calls its all for naught.

just today I cleaned at a church and asked the secretary before I left where they got my name. Her answer? The custodian gave her a list of four carpet cleaners to contact. I was the only one to return her call.

Go figure.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Bought a Vortex ( big ass box truck)
Stopped worrying about making money and focused on doing whatever it took to turn customers into Clients and cheerleaders for me.
Invested in my education and knowledge about my craft.
And bought most of MB's must-have toys of the day to have the best of everything possible.
Did things to wow the customer.

Reactions: Living The Dream
Name
Nate W.
If you're active in the community, your name will go farther than any fancy logo or wrap. You can't beat organic marketing with any other type.

I like your logo. it'd look good on a wrap. Finding a mascot is hard. I got lucky on mine. I was at a lettering business long before I heard of a wrap. My cartoon character came out of an old book covered in dust he had tucked away in a cabinet. I have no clue how old it is.

You told me the golf course and billboards advertising were a big hit..

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You told me the golf course and billboards advertising were a big hit..
Show me where I said the billboards were a big hit. I think I said I tried to advertise on the billboards and I gave the feedback on how crappy that was. If I said different, please tell me and I'll update the results.

AS for the golf course, it was cheap advertising, ($125 I think). Kinda stupid not to put my name in front of the rich golfers for that price

• Haha
Reactions: Nate The Great

Ever-Fresh

Name
Jeff Paton
When I started, I had a black cargo van, and a portable. The only "advertising" I had was business cards and a free listing in the phone book.
Carpet Cleaners are never thought of until you need one. I don't think of where I will get my car repaired until it breaks down, then I look.

Within a year I was so busy that I didn't want more business. My philosophy was to offer the best carpet cleaning available at a competitive price, always emphasizing value. I always want a customer to feel like they got much more than what they paid for.

I didn't even have signage on my van the first 6 years, and never paid for a listing in the local business directory for the first 5 years. I built it all on reputation and referrals, and to this day I am still over 90% referral. You want to get rich? Then aim for a multi-truck system and the pain of managing employees. I do not claim that my path will get you rich.

I differentiate between PR and Advertising. I wear my work shirt or jacket while I am out on public most of the time. Carpet Cleaners have a terrible reputation of jacking up the price after they bid a job, and people are leery of letting an unvetted stranger onto their homes. People buy from people they know and trust, and that is where I market myself. When they realize they need their carpets cleaned, they remember me. The only advantage of being in the business directory is that my ugly mug is in there, and if they don't remember the name they remember the face. Several times a year I get comments that my picture was how they knew who to call.

I am a smalltime operator that started way too late in life to do carpet cleaning. I started at age 49, and am now 64 and my health went downhill this past year, so, I am not sure how much longer I will be doing this.

Having said that, my advice is to realize that that you are not as important to people until they need you. Hard selling will only give temporary gains. Have a good-looking card and a friendly smile. I think that wraps are awesome! You can make that old van look new! It is eye-catching and you advertise everywhere you go! But resist listing all fifty services you provide. People do not have time to read it on the move! If you list too many things, you will look like a dabbler in all trades and a master of none in many people's eyes. I emphasize value, and odor issues. People assume that you have to clean well if you are going to be successful at the bad jobs. I have used free spotter with my residential customers. They perceive value, and about the time they use it up, they have my name right in front of them. In the end, it is doing an outstanding job every single time that will build your reputation and get you referrals. Big Companies have their gimmicks... magic water, chemical-dry, or whatever they are trying to sell, but it always pleases me to get the challenge of "Don't worry, you won't get that spot out, the "Big Name" Company has cleaned it three times and they say it is permanent." Their jaws hit the floor when they realize they did not get the premium carpet cleaning that they thought they paid for from the "Big Name." I cannot count how many customers I have for the life of my business that see me as their carpet cleaning hero!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian H

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom