video camera and editing software recommendations

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I'm thinking of making some videos for my biz; possibly re-branding with much higher prices.
Videos might help market these changes.

@Mark Saiger what items do you recommend?
Of course others are welcome to give recommendations...
Keep the expenses reasonable.

I did this as a post rather then a PM to @Mark Saiger because I think others will benefit from the info.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm thinking of making some videos for my biz; possibly re-branding with much higher prices.

@Mark Saiger what items do you recommend?
Of course others are welcome to give recommendations...
Keep the expenses reasonable.

I did this as a post rather then a PM to @Mark Saiger because I think others will benefit from the info.
Good morning

I was using for awhile a program on my computer for movie making that the program was free and was nice for the most part to use and fairly easy to use. Mikey turned me onto a couple of years ago VideoShow. (and get the Pro version for a few bucks)

My first videos were mainly just for documentation and showing and even documentation for me during some formula development. I discovered YouTube because my one son in law told me he would learn a lot from YouTube such as at the time sheet rocking technique during his remodel.

I checked out YouTube for winterizing my RV and a few other things. At the time, I did not know YouTube was owned by Google or had been purchased by Google.

My first YouTube video was just off my phone because it was now super easy to upload from my phone to YouTube. It was of my first experience using the Zipper Wand. I had no clue about doing SEO (Search Engine Optimization) on the videos by the use of hash tags but overtime have become aware and use them. Also the words in the title of your video can help as well.

When i first did videos I did not have editing software and would put the video on pause and hope no one called or sent a message that would kick me out of my recording session.

My videos really have been mainly for selfish reasons... When people would contact me, I would make a quick video to send to help with the problem they needed help with... So less phone time with them... But that hasn't always gone that way as people still want to talk. I have only had one time a person in a panic to fix something tell me "I don't have time to watch a video (which was two minutes and walk you through the fix). I sent the video and wished him well as I didn't have 30 minutes to try and hold their hand while they fixed it. I clean carpets too for a living.

Back to the videos...

Make it, try to see angles... Try to not shake and move the camera too fast (each new phone has presented new challenges) once ready, just go to YouTube with a channel you have created based off your Gmail account... Hit upload and there it should be.

You will now want to Seo it in a section.

I have to do this from a desktop or in desktop mode on my phone.

I will put pics here.

I did start to also monetize my videos which means I allow some ads on and maybe see a little beer money each month. If I would have done a lot sooner (just started a year ago) I would have more than a beer budget possibly... But doubtful... Another thing that has happened with the video editor I am using, some of the music from the app will all of a sudden be claimed by another party and they are making money off my video (my cat video :( (@Nomad74)

If you share some videos to your Facebook page it helps bring in an audience for local and maybe other audiences you are targeting but I do find YouTube does have a following also.

Develop Playlist and add your videos to the Playlist so people will now see another of your videos. One of my Playlists is a Butler Truckmount Maintainence Playlist of things I have done for helping others with repairs and service.

My web person has also added some YouTube videos to my web page which Google likes currently.
There are also YouTube videos on how to upload and even just do a YouTube video. Just try making your first video and upload it. You can always delete it too or put on private for your viewing or share with a friend.

I will include some pics for reference.

And here are my first two YouTube videos actually. Straight up no editing just putting out information at the time....

Screenshot_20181216-062754_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20181216-062836_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20181216-062715_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20181216-062742_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20181216-060939_Samsung Experience Home.jpgScreenshot_20181216-062459_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20181216-062636_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20181216-062704_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20181216-062548_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20181216-062603_Samsung Internet.jpg

There is a bit to learn and I in no way am a guru at this, but just dangerous enough at it to help my SEO and also irritate Marty 😁 @hogjowl

Good luck!

Reactions: Andy and Nomad74

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
My videos are off my phone yet. Tried my gopro but not as convenient.

Seo examples

#Saigers.com
#Saiger'sSauce1
#Saiger'sSauceRinse
#SaigersSauce1
#HarvardChemical
#Saiger'sSauceOne
#SaigersSauceOne (with apostrophe and then no Apostrophe)
#CarpetCleaning
#TileAndGroutCleaning
#FurnitureCleaning
#CarpetCleaningGrandRapidsMN
#GrandRapidsMN
#Saiger'sDeepBlueRinse
#Saiger'sCodeRedSauce
#Saiger'sP-Lime-Zyme
#Saiger'sSuperSealant
#ButlerTruckmounts
#Seal-A-Door
#ZipperWand
#ZipperSSSuperSpinner
#TomConwayNewDevastatorNewSwivelHeadWand
#Mikey'sFestMN2018
#MikeysBoard.com
#RedStainRemoval
#CoffeeStainRemoval

Also notice that all words are joined together and I use capital letters between words so I can see when doing the Seo.

I do the Seo with what is taking place or being used in a video as people search in their videos.

With your Seo direct as much to you and your location or what services you are offering and what you want people to find.

Last edited:
Reactions: Papa John

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I have a hard time holding my phone to shoot video while working. Thats why i was thinking of getting a go pro.
my samsung wont pause in video mode.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Dude...John...Just get a tripod and call tripod Todd and ask him how he did it.. Maybe he'll answer while chasing down two Filipino chickens.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I have a hard time holding my phone to shoot video while working. Thats why i was thinking of getting a go pro.
my samsung wont pause in video mode.

You really NEED to use a tripod, or at the very least a monopod. I've tried to lean against a wall and hold my breath while shooting and it still produces a jerky mess. A tripod makes it so much easier to get smooth results.

I use a GoPro for mountain biking and it does a surprisingly good job for that. But it doesn't produce the style of video I'd want for a biz video. It's a wide angle shot to the point of fisheye. And it's not super stable (even while wearing the GoPro Chesty mount).

Reactions: Living The Dream

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Get a new phone.

The Go Pro -edit- You Tube process is a guarantee that you'll never do it.

I can produce and publish a video in well under an hour

thanks. I was about to buy a GoPro and I could use a new phone.

The GoPro Quick App is pretty cool and simple.

:headscratch: now I'm confused as to what to do. Is this a newer App and might be different then what @Mikey P and @Mark Saiger warn about?
which GoPro is needed for this? will a 5 be good enough?

Name
Swani

:headscratch: now I'm confused as to what to do. Is this a newer App and might be different then what @Mikey P and @Mark Saiger warn about?
No camera needed. Just download the app. Add your pictures and videos and edit.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

I have a gopro and hardly use it.

Phone much better.

I am using the Samsung Note 8. I have used a bunch of different Samsung phones. Have had other models in past life... Just been Samsung user (Android) to long to want to use something else (iPhone user about 5 hours then dumped it and back to Android)

Papa John

Name
John Stewart

I have the Samsung Galaxy note 5. I take it you can pause video with the Note 8?
Thanks, I'll abort desire to buy a GoPro.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have the Samsung Galaxy note 5. I take it you can pause video with the Note 8?
Thanks, I'll abort desire to buy a GoPro.
You can actually pause with the note 5... At least I used to do it with mine

But with the video editing software you just piece them together when you shut off the video shooting. Easy Peasy

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I plan to buy an Osmo to stabilize videos.

This comes from suffering through 10,000 videos of somebody’s hose run from the van to the room, a boring trip through room after room looking at dirt and swinging the camera from side to side until I get seasick and finally, no frigging point.

Job himself would have complained.

Reactions: The Great Oz

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If your current phone is any good at all, try the recommended app with it to get a feel for taking and editing video. I'd recommend at least a gymbal holder to remove shaky-cam syndrome if you're going to walk around while recording. (Some software can help fix a shaky video) Get an external (directional) mic if you plan to set the phone somewhere and talk at it. Garbled and fluctuating sound levels are OK when your video is aimed at the DIY crowd, but not impressive for marketing purposes.

If you want to re-brand for higher prices, you'll need to make better videos. 4K video will require one of the phones knocking on the $1,000 mark (OK if you need an excuse to get one) otherwise you can spend half that to get a 4K camera with much better video capture than any phone. You can still use the simple editing app, or spend as much as $79 on Corel Studio or Adobe Elements to edit. Either way you're making more of a time investment than a money investment.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I tried a gimble holder... Took it back

Dang thing couldn't hold the weight of the Note 8. Been looking for one that will handle the larger phones. And the one I got wouldn't update It's software so I gave up

Looking for a new one if anyone has a recommendation that they know will work

Mikey P

Administrator
I plan to buy an Osmo to stabilize videos.

This comes from suffering through 10,000 videos of somebody’s hose run from the van to the room, a boring trip through room after room looking at dirt and swinging the camera from side to side until I get seasick and finally, no frigging point.

Job himself would have complained.

I gave up after one Udy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom