V/AT owners, ? about pto operation

Name
BradFenstermaker
Okay I would like to know if a slipping transmission will also slow down the pto operation?

What exactly drives the pto? fluid or gear

Any of you have connections on a contact for used tranny's?

Thanks

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I think that the P.T.O is ran off of the fluid pressure generated by the torque converter from the transmission's..in my mind a slipping transmission should not effect the P.T.O unless there is a problem with the pressure coming from the torque converter which would also make a transmission slip.......

Name
BradFenstermaker
Well spoke with a tran builder and the pto spins off a main gear. A slipping tranny should not effect the unit.

Engine cam is driving the main gear in tranny.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Sorry Brad....I was trying to go off the book which is very difficult to read and understand........

I found this on the Vortex site..............

1. The power take off (PTO) unit found on a Vortex is also commonly used in a variety of commercial and industrial applications such as farm tractors, street sweepers and dump trucks. The PTO on a Vortex is a clutch / gear combination PTO that transfers the energy (power) of the trucks engine to the cleaning machine by means of the truck's automatic transmission. The PTO unit is designed to bolt directly up to the truck's transmission "PTO port". The Vortex PTO is a "hot shift" or "constant mesh" type PTO and differs from "manual" PTO's which require the manual engagement of the PTO gear teeth into the transmission PTO gear by the operator from a lever in the truck's cab.

2. The gear in the Vortex PTO and the automatic transmissions PTO gear are constantly meshed and are always turning while the engine is running. However, the PTO drive shaft will not begin to turn unless the clutch pack inside the PTO is engaged. The PTO clutchpack is engaged when the "PTO START" button is depressed on the Vortex instrument/control panel.

3. When the "ENGAGE PTO" button on the Vortex instrument / control panel is depressed, The PTO solenoid (12V solenoid located near the PTO or transmission) becomes energized (the solenoid orifice opens). This allows pressurized transmission fluid from the truck's automatic transmission to flow through the solenoid and into the PTO clutchpack. This engages the clutch pack and turns the PTO output driveshaft. The engagement of the clutch pack inside the PTO occurs when pressurized transmission fluid flows into it.

4. When the PTO clutch pack is engaged the PTO drivehaft will turn, powering the machine's vacuum pump, high pressure water pump and Xentherm pump through a series of belts and pulleys.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Shawn I have a 99 1400 777 from Venturi.

Since I purchased the vacuum seems to be weak after a few wet cleaning passes. Then you can hear it pick up more airflow.

With a 59 seems like it should be screaming air all the time. My expectations mentally may be too high. I use a 45 in the other truck.

Have brand new filters in the wastetank, lids are sealed good and all plumbing to blower is tight too.

Put new belts on and bearings in the blower 100hrs ago. Still the same.

Cleaned the relief valve and put on new spring.

Well my tranny just went out Friday so was wondering if that could have been slowing down the pto.

Seems to not matter which prespray I use either.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Name
BradFenstermaker
Shawn the machine has been this way since I got it.

The E3 is not installed on my truck, just running the coolant exchanger. Still rehabing this beast. It will get to 180 after the first job.

The vac loss seems to have been here along. Had new gaskets put in the pto.

How do you tell if the pto clutch is slipping. My truck is high mileage and 3800hrs. The engine was sealed up and new exhaust along with vavle adjustment. She runs strong. Turbo is fine.

Not sure when she will get another tranny but that will tell alot after she running again.

Later I will see if someone has a rpm gun, and check the blower shaft. She will still run in park so when there is time maybe I can check that.

Will be real busy the next week 1/2 so it may be a few days.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom