Transporting Heavy Rugs

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
I am trying to figure out a way to transport heavy rugs by myself. Any suggestions?

revitalize

Name
adrian

Reactions: Trey

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
Very Cool. Thank you for the response and information!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'll be getting a couple of these for my rug shop. It will make it easier to get into the centrifuge.
1565131521288.png

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I am trying to figure out a way to transport heavy rugs by myself. Any suggestions?

Steve, when I used to do rugs, I found it easier to carry a few lengths of PVC pipe in different lengths.

I think they were about 6' & 9' from memory, I don't have any left now.

I would roll the rug onto the pipe, secure it, then I was able to carry it to the van without it sagging.

Of course, bigger & heavier rugs were a two man carry.

Cheers mate.

:yoda: :very_drunk:

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
Are you wanting it for customer p/u & del, or for moving wet rugs around in your plant?
roro
Customer transport. I usually work alone these days and would like to be able to handle large rugs myself - with equipment of course. thanks

Steve D

Name
Steve D'Aquila
Steve, when I used to do rugs, I found it easier to carry a few lengths of PVC pipe in different lengths.

I think they were about 6' & 9' from memory, I don't have any left now.

I would roll the rug onto the pipe, secure it, then I was able to carry it to the van without it sagging.

Of course, bigger & heavier rugs were a two man carry.

Cheers mate.

:yoda: :very_drunk:
I appreciate the response and advice - thank you!

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
i use the carboard tubes that comes with my carpet rolls. super sturdy with no sag. and if theyre heavy drop em on a dolly cart

i like the pvc idea. but i rarely fool with them

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
the pvc idea and a kayak dolly

not that I've tried it just an idea

Jeez, you brought back a forgotten memory.

I also had the "Kayak" trolley, it only has two wheels.

Made of sturdy plastic with large wheels, place the rug down towards one end, tie a rope around the other end which allows you to lift the rug off of the ground and lead it back to your van.

Got mine from an adventure store that sells kayaks, mountain gear, tents, etc;

:very_drunk: :very_drunk: :very_drunk: :yoda:

Reactions: Hack Attack

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Jeez, you brought back a forgotten memory.

I also had the "Kayak" trolley, it only has two wheels.

Made of sturdy plastic with large wheels, place the rug down towards one end, tie a rope around the other end which allows you to lift the rug off of the ground and lead it back to your van.

Got mine from an adventure store that sells kayaks, mountain gear, tents, etc;

:very_drunk: :very_drunk: :very_drunk: :yoda:
good to know it works, now I dont have to try it

• Haha
Reactions: Fat Mike

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Transporting heavy rugs is a two man job. If your working solo I’d figure a way to clean them onsite. If they can’t be cleaned onsite then get some help for the transfer. You don’t need to look like an idiot wrestling a rug in front of a customer.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Transporting heavy rugs is a two man job. If your working solo I’d figure a way to clean them onsite. If they can’t be cleaned onsite then get some help for the transfer. You don’t need to look like an idiot wrestling a rug in front of a customer.
I'm a one man show when it comes to rugs. I limit myself to 9x12's by myself. 10x14 is the biggest rug I do in the shop. If I can some help getting it into my van, I'm good at getting it from the van to the shop. I've used hand trucks and flat Dolly's time to time. I like the idea of the kayak dolly. I have one here, I'll have to take a look at that. When I know it's a heavy rug, I ask them to have help there otherwise, I have to pay a second person and add it to the cost

Reactions: Hack Attack

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Pick up what you can carry easily, have the customer use one of the "app" moving services to bring in heavier stuff. Go Share, White Glove, Lugg, Bunji, Task Rabbit... there are a lot of companies trying to be the Uber of moving. They can take you out of the moving business so you can concentrate on being in the cleaning business.

PS: A friend in the cleaning biz used to bring rugs to us for cleaning. He would tri-fold Oriental carpets and strap them to a hand truck to move them. Can't do that with machine tufted rugs, but you can clean those on site.

Reactions: J Scott W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom