Took my wife out for dinner Wednesday night and....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I took my under appreciated wife out for dinner Wednesday night, she finished work early and I thought I'd treat her.

We rarely go anywhere without some kids tagging along. So since I'd taken the kids to the mall earlier in the evening and bought them dinner afterward, I dropped them at home and we went to eat.

We had barely sat down and were looking over the menus, when our oldest daughter calls in a panic. "Water is coming out of the vents in the basement!"

We rush home and the washer had malfunctioned soaking the utility room and connecting half bath and pantry, beginning to run into the kitchen. I was shocked, where are the kids, just then my 19-old son comes up from downstairs with wet towels in his arms.

I couldn't believe it, I asked him what's going on why is there standing water. he said "this is nothing it's way worse downstairs!"

It was, the family room and computer room was raining from the dry wall.

It sucks having a water loss at your own home. I was so pissed driving to the shop to pickup a WDR truck.

As I drove back to the house though, I began to realize the irony of my house being wet and me as upset as my customers get.

It made me laugh and I began see the bigger picture, an hour of extraction and we will setup the drying process and begin recovery.

It's nearly dry, except the floor which the wife picked up some samples today.

Next time, it's carryout! :wink:

Ever have a water loss in your house?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
8 feet of water when the river had a "100 Year Flood".

Only then did I understand what people go through at a time like that. I wasn't the most kind and understanding person throughout the process.

It was a great education, though.

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
Actually 2 small water damages, one from the dish washer and the other in a bathroom pipe. Not good.
And a fire as well when I was a kid, but there was no clean up, it burnt to the ground. :shock:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Here's the real kicker!

It had just been put on the market, we had a showing at 11:00, 6:00, and 7:30 and another we had scheduled for yesterday we had to cancel.

I'm going to go home pull the flooring and dry what moisture's left and have an installer in Saturday to put down new. Maybe we start showing again Monday.

Sometimes life suks....but you've got to take the bad with the good.

But I really hate the bad!
:wink:

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
water line to the refridgerator dripped for a long time
before I noticed 10.000 dollars in damage thank god for
insurance

The Preacher

being an "Mexicoon", there might have been a gov't program to help you with the deductable and keep the ins company from raising yore rates???

i thought you people kept up on stuff like that!!! :p

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Richard;

I've got a good story for you...

Water dept. comes into the reception area of our production plant and tells us the water will be shut-off for an hour or so.

I am in the Graphics office working on some ad copy. Then I notice a strange loud sound coming from the front of our building. It was water rushing in to refill the huge (6" and 8") sprinker inlet piping. The water went from ground level to the 20' high ceiling in a fraction of a second...

The only problem was, that it blew the top 1/2" thick 6" pipe cast-iron elbow in half.

I was sitting one door & 15 ft. away.

I tried to open the door, but the force of the water was so great that I gave up.

I immediately went to the power room and needed all the strength I had to throw the large main 600 amp electrical breaker.

Meanwhile the water stream blew thru 3 layers of roofing material (one was steel) in a couple of minutes, and was now shooting 50 feet above the top of our building.

The water was flooding the front lawn and that was, of course, where the sprinkler piping shut-off valve was located.

Luckily, the water dept. service guys saw the problem and were able to fish around and turn it off, under the water.

That only left us with about 4" of water on about 11,000 sq. ft. of commercial carpet to deal with. All of our restoration equipment and TM's were in the water!

We had to call in a water restoration contractor to get additional TM's extracting the carpet.

Then we had to try and save the brand new $10 grand phone system we had just installed in the same utility room.

Our phone engineer was able to save the phone system with quick action and after a few more days, we eventually got back to our normal mode of operation.

Just another week in the continuing saga ....

Larry Cobb

GRHeacock

I had a flood several years back.

A Sunday, everybody's home. Then it began to rain in the kitchen. The upstairs bathroom is over the kitchen. A pipe feeding hot water to the bathtub let go- through electrolysis it turned out.

I run upstairs, see the bathroom floor with an inch or so of water.

The break was prior to the tub shutoff. Where the feed pipe connects to the shutoff.

I run back downstairs and shut off the main house water feed in the basement.

By now, the saturated ceiling tiles are falling down, water still coming in to the kitchen.

From my truck I take my 10 gallon portable up to the bathroom to extract from the carpet, then down to extract the water from the kitchen floor.

Under the kitchen is the laundry room- a concrete floor with a floor drain. Water is there, but no big deal.

When the water stops coming down into the kitchen, I take down the rest of the ceiling tiles.

It's Sunday. I need a plumber to put in a new pipe to the bathtub before I can turn on the water to the rest of the house.

Yes, there ARE plumbers who come out on a Sunday on an emergency basis. He was there in about an hour. He cut the pipe below where it had failed, put in a new piece, a new shutoff, and the flex to the tub.

That took him about an hour.

Cost me $300 as I recall. Well worth it under the circumstances.

I dried the bathroom with my own equipment, and the kitchen ceiling.

I needed a new ceiling light fixture in the kitchen, and a new ceiling with sheetrock, then painted instead of tiles.

It can happen to anybody at any time.

Gary

cleanthis

just spent 30k on two basment apartments we were not finished with it but the rest of the supplies were in the basement. The water was coming in through a window as i walked over to it to try and stop the water...(1am I guess i thought i could stop it from coming in..lol) then all of a sudden the window popped through the wall. I was only a couple of months new to the industry. after cleaning that hugh mess I got called into work early to do nothing but water work untill the wee hours of the following day. I think we spent close 60 grand on these units.

Richard C. said:
I took my under appreciated wife out for dinner Wednesday night, she finished work early and I thought I'd treat her.

We rarely go anywhere without some kids tagging along. So since I'd taken the kids to the mall earlier in the evening and bought them dinner afterward, I dropped them at home and we went to eat.

We had barely sat down and were looking over the menus, when our oldest daughter calls in a panic. "Water is coming out of the vents in the basement!"

We rush home and the washer had malfunctioned soaking the utility room and connecting half bath and pantry, beginning to run into the kitchen. I was shocked, where are the kids, just then my 19-old son comes up from downstairs with wet towels in his arms.

I couldn't believe it, I asked him what's going on why is there standing water. he said "this is nothing it's way worse downstairs!"

It was, the family room and computer room was raining from the dry wall.

It sucks having a water loss at your own home. I was so pissed driving to the shop to pickup a WDR truck.

As I drove back to the house though, I began to realize the irony of my house being wet and me as upset as my customers get.

It made me laugh and I began see the bigger picture, an hour of extraction and we will setup the drying process and begin recovery.

It's nearly dry, except the floor which the wife picked up some samples today.

Next time, it's carryout! :wink:

Ever have a water loss in your house?

Should of called SerVPRO.........:0

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
"I took my under appreciated wife out for dinner Wednesday night, she finished work early and I thought I'd treat her."

So Richard, I'm sorry but I can't get this question out of my mind. After all you went through, did the evening have a "happy ending" for you?

IB

PS Or at your advanced age were you "too tired"? No details, please. A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Didn't get dinner, she was a little ticked at me!

I crushed a 3ft section of gutter with the Butler cabover. I knew it was there, but I got too close to the garage and just kissed it enough to crunch it. :(

NO dinner..........or remote thought of anything else. She asked me"why did you do that?" like I meant to do it. :oops:

Meanwhile just like a customer, she is on me for when it will dry.
New flooring is sitting in the garage and the installer will be here at 8:00 to put it in. I'll clean the carpet and we are back on track.

It's been an experience! :roll:

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Should have made your brother Dan come over and take care of it for you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: You can tell him I said that!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh by the way, you better make another date with your wife!! :wink: :wink:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
"NO dinner..........or remote thought of anything else. She asked me"why did you do that?" like I meant to do it.

Meanwhile just like a customer, she is on me for when it will dry... It's been an experience!"

Yeah, but what a great set of Customer's Eyeglasses for you!

Island Boy

PS Now you know why your average W/D customer is so stressed out and grumpy. And the "no remote thought of anything else" is the straw that breaks the camel's back!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea, I was thinking like the customer on the way to the shop, it wasn't until the drive back to my house I began realize the irony of it all. I was then able to laugh, (well briefly) seeing through the customers eye glasses.

Still no dinner together, in fact now she's afraid to go to dinner with out the kids. :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom