This is challenging

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
I’ll admit being a business owner under 3 years is tough. I’ve jumped from per room to sqft and back to per room. I believe I’m fair with the per room rate.

But when it comes to commercial I’ve taken sales courses and other tasks to get a grip of landing more commercial and residential work. Honestly it’s a pain when I can’t see a long shot and making it very profitable.

I know it’s more then looking professional, clean truck, latest equipment, and most off honesty. Which I feel I valid in all those categories. I really don’t want to be into apartment complex’s doing $25-30 cleans on occupied units. I feel I built a great reputation for my business.

What I don’t see is how I can grow, feed my family, live peaceful, and make a good pay. Yes it takes time but I always do the most I can. Market online, cold calling, emailing previous and new clientele.

Hoping anyone on here can give me some pointers.

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I’ll admit being a business owner under 3 years is tough. I’ve jumped from per room to sqft and back to per room. I believe I’m fair with the per room rate.

But when it comes to commercial I’ve taken sales courses and other tasks to get a grip of landing more commercial and residential work. Honestly it’s a pain when I can’t see a long shot and making it very profitable.

I know it’s more then looking professional, clean truck, latest equipment, and most off honesty. Which I feel I valid in all those categories. I really don’t want to be into apartment complex’s doing $25-30 cleans on occupied units. I feel I built a great reputation for my business.

What I don’t see is how I can grow, feed my family, live peaceful, and make a good pay. Yes it takes time but I always do the most I can. Market online, cold calling, emailing previous and new clientele.

Hoping anyone on here can give me some pointers.
Don't even be looking for that kind of work. Can't you see there's no money there? Start looking at strata buildings for their hallways and common areas. Look for large retail units in the malls or large offices. If I do rental units, it's now $150 for a 1 bedroom, $200 for a 2 bedroom suite.

Reactions: Fat Mike and LCCFL

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Don't even be looking for that kind of work. Can't you see there's no money there? Start looking at strata buildings for their hallways and common areas. Look for large retail units in the malls or large offices. If I do rental units, it's now $150 for a 1 bedroom, $200 for a 2 bedroom suite.

Gave away last apartment complex two years ago.

Building relationships is very important imo. We started our business with mostly all referrals and some flyers. Haven’t mailed anything in years but that doesn’t work in all areas and we don’t just clean carpet.

When one area of service is slow the other is busy for us. It’s crazy when it’s all busy though!

Reactions: Cleanworks

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Business cards to everyone. Realtors, Property management that have mostly houses, hand them to people when you are getting gas, groceries and when your at the barbershop. Always have business cards. Have a website and a google local business listing. Post on Facebook. Have a business page on Facebook. Get to know other cleaners in town. You’d be surprised how many will send some work your way. Market to daycares, veterinarian offices and medical offices. Get to know some large janitorial companies and see if the will send some work to you. You can do it.

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
I do but I’ve seen pricing of $.9-$.12 a sq ft on hallways like that. Especially a company that subbed work to me. I had to cut them off cause it wasn’t worth my time nor good pay.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Or, just hang around for 31 years

Believe it or not, Marty is correct.

I used to get soooo frustrated coming on the boards and asking how people started, only to hear "repeat's and referrals"..... Over and over.:hopeless:

When you have no clients, you have no "repeat's and referrals".

We all feel your pain, but it does take time.

The more you clean the more people will call. For us, after about five years "things" got much easier as far as phone ringing, not working for cheap, less worries, etc.

At some point(hopefully) the phone will ring enough you won't have to work for aholes anymore.

In the mean time work on your internet presence every chance you can.

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
Believe it or not, Marty is correct.

I used to get soooo frustrated coming on the boards and asking how people started, only to hear "repeat's and referrals"..... Over and over.:hopeless:

When you have no clients, you have no "repeat's and referrals".

We all feel your pain, but it does take time.

The more you clean the more people will call. For us, after about five years "things" got much easier as far as phone ringing, not working for cheap, less worries, etc.

At some point(hopefully) the phone will ring enough you won't have to work for aholes anymore.

In the mean time work on your internet presence every chance you can.
Internet presence is on point. Doing YouTube, Facebook, google etc.

Reactions: jcooper

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I do but I’ve seen pricing of $.9-$.12 a sq ft on hallways like that. Especially a company that subbed work to me. I had to cut them off cause it wasn’t worth my time nor good pay.
Don't worry about prices you hear about. Price your service at a point where you are making a profit that you can live on. Profit is what you have left over after paying all expenses, including paying yourself. There will always be someone cheaper as well as carpet cleaners going bankrupt because they didn't know how to price their service.

Reactions: LCCFL

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
A new guy showed up in my area and I'm pretty sure he is offering a discount for customers to brag about him on Nextdoor.com. They all say the same thing and it sounds scripted, but what you can do is just ASK for online reviews weather its Google or Nextdoor or Yelp, or their local neighborhood chatlist.

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
A new guy showed up in my area and I'm pretty sure he is offering a discount for customers to brag about him on Nextdoor.com. They all say the same thing and it sounds scripted, but what you can do is just ASK for online reviews weather its Google or Nextdoor or Yelp, or their local neighborhood chatlist.
That’s sad. But I do have reviews on all the platforms. All organic reviews 👍🏽

Reactions: Jim Williams

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Ok, I know this sounds corny, but I practice this and it works. It used to bother me when a certain PM company would use another cleaner and not me. But then I had a change of attitude. I heard the term, "Be so good they can't ignore you". So that's what I do, and it works. Word has spread, referrals are working, and people share their results. Eventually my word-of-mouth work ethic made it's way to my competitors PM. They now are using me.

Be so good they can't ignore you.

Okay, i'm going to go apply tire shine to my bumper now.

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
Ok, I know this sounds corny, but I practice this and it works. It used to bother me when a certain PM company would use another cleaner and not me. But then I had a change of attitude. I heard the term, "Be so good they can't ignore you". So that's what I do, and it works. Word has spread, referrals are working, and people share their results. Eventually my word-of-mouth work ethic made it's way to my competitors PM. They now are using me.

Be so good they can't ignore you.

Okay, i'm going to go apply tire shine to my bumper now.
Lol very true.

Mikey P

Administrator
Not much.. Thought of joining Chamber of commerce. On the other hand I don’t know how to stand out in the community.

Volunteer at a high profile organization
Donate cleanings to worthwhile charities
Help clean up your town of trash and graffiti
Join neighborhood FB blogs and be helpful
Help old ladies across the street
If you have kids , be the most visible helpful dad of all
Be, Social.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
you have 6 competitors currently and I'm betting you're the only white one

with all his teefs.