The advantage of having prices on your site!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
  1. Who here has prices on their web site? How is it working for you?
  2. Who did not originally and now does? Did it help?

I do not have prices on my site. The reason being that my prices are higher and I wanted the chance to talk with people, before they make their decision based on price alone. Granted, I do not offer in house estimates and have no intention of doing it either. (But that's a whole different subject.)

One advantage of having the prices posted, I assume, is weeding out the price shoppers and some wasted time.

What's your experience?
Am I missing something?

Reactions: EDS

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yes, Grass Valley.
[Not sure if you're referring to me but if you do, I promise to do my best not to be an idiot.]

Struggling with that decision and would love to hear from others' experience.

P.S. Marty, how much $$ for not trolling this thread? :winky:

Reactions: EDS

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
When you put a price on your site, that becomes the main focus of the customers attention span and they will judge by the price rather than by the quality imo'

Reactions: ruff
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
if yer booked solid I guess keep the prices unpublished and phone screen like you say. I'll have totally new look on my web site soon and I'll be mentioning price the best I can. Unless you clean in some mythical "upscale" area in an economy gone by I think most everyone is price shopping to some degree.

Reactions: SamIam and ruff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mike, I wonder about that.
Here is a site that does and I know that John (Healthy Choice) does it (I think on his you can calculate the price.)

Just wondering if someone tried both and how it worked for them.
In San Fran I do great without pricing. Just wondering how it works in more price conscious areas.

upload_2017-3-4_17-15-39.png

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
When you put a price on your site, that becomes the main focus of the customers attention span and they will judge by the price rather than by the quality imo'
The only people who care about price at the point of scouring your site are the very ones who won't pay any price that YOU will be charging.

Shouldn't a company's site establish "Quality" and therefore posted price will weed out the dedicated low price shoppers. So in a sense, no loss at all, as I will never get their business anyhow? Just save time and hassle.

And the potential clients that were impressed with the site and reviews, will already know prices. Therefore, avoid possible misunderstanding and or wasted time to deal with that.

If the prices are way higher than other companies I understand the reluctance. But if somewhat higher, yet you establish quality, wouldn't it makes life just a little easier?

And doesn't the lack of posted prices, in a way send a message- This company is Expensive!!! ?

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
all I know is I cleaned last year for 5 or 6 Bay Area folks who moved in my town (priced out of real estate) and dam they were trained and paid all my pricing....

hogjowl

Idiot™
We'll all eventually have to have on-line pricing and booking. Only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm not ready for the headache implementation will bring.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I like to have them speak to Ann so they can find out how we are better than the price advertisers... often the bait and switchers...extra for pre-spray, extra for spots... Ann can explain our cleaning methods, answer their questions etc.
When the conversation with Ann gets to price they already know what makes us different than our competition, our experience and why they should trust us to be in their lives for a couple of hours. We know how much work they are considering so our square foot price could be discussed at that time. But this works for me because I have Ann answering my phone.
If I was going to do price advertising I wouldn't use the word room... I would call it area cleaning. Defining an area as 200 sq ft max. or something like that.
If you are looking to do primarily upscale/wealthy then do not post your prices. I'm only giving my opinion on the market I go after so for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
if you get people moving from the bay area calling, much like here in NV, they will pay your higher than normal rate

once they get use to their new fixed income, they may look for a coupon guy.

How many of you all have relatives or neighbors on a fixed? Giives a whole different perspective on life if you can't just up sell or side job your way to more income. Collecting aluminum cans will only get you a box of macNcheese.

Reactions: ruff

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
If I was going to do price advertising I wouldn't use the word room... I would call it area cleaning. Defining an area as 200 sq ft max. or something like that.
If you are looking to do primarily upscale/wealthy then do not post your prices. I'm only giving my opinion on the market I go after so for what it's worth.

Bob - you would be surprised of the "upscale/wealthy" client located in the hick hills of Kentucky - LOL . Point being, I am sure that Ann is great at her job and a lovely person, but people more and more don't want to call. Here's a recent order for one of his "Best, Better, Good" packages. This client could figure it out and I'd bet yours could as well.

upload_2017-3-4_19-57-30.png

Reactions: SamIam and ruff

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Bob - you would be surprised of the "upscale/wealthy" client located in the hick hills of Kentucky - LOL . Point being, I am sure that Ann is great at her job and a lovely person, but people more and more don't want to call. Here's a recent order for one of his "Best, Better, Good" packages. This client could figure it out and I'd bet yours could as well.
Was that your example of upscale in Kentucky? Ann is more than just a lovely person... she operates the biggest equestrian website in the world and is the best marketing person I have ever known. So thanks for the help but we charged more than that for a whole house, couch, luv seat and ottoman...protected... in the 1980's.

Not talking about small towns with many fixed income folks. Example is I live in Cape Coral, working class retirement people are plentiful. When I worked in Florida...up until 2001 I chose the markets of Naples Florida and Sanibel/Captiva Islands...exclusively.

Reactions: ruff and Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That's not very helpful as it doesn't specify how much carpet he cleaned. His upholstery pricing is very low, so I am thinking his carpet cleaning prices must be the same.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
That's not very helpful as it doesn't specify how much carpet he cleaned. His upholstery pricing is very low, so I am thinking his carpet cleaning prices must be the same.
8 areas for $536 so 67$ an area... thinking that he included protector and has to go back if they call to spot? Package pricing makes people think they got less than your best if they don't get the diamond studded platinum golden package... That doesn't work for me.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ok, got it. I really don't like room or area pricing. I much prefer going by the sqft. I have many repeat customers that know each other and if I cleaned a small area for one, then a large area for another for the same price, I would hear about it. I usually give a customer a ball park price over the phone and let them know that I will measure and give them a firm price before I start.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I really don't like this good, better, best program either. So some cheap ass customer just want the good package. They call back a week later and say I really don't think you did your best on my carpets, so I say, no you would have to pay me more to get my best.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
Name
Lee Stockwell
Independence is a Cincinnati suburb, not particularly upscale...if that exists in Kentucky.

Billionaires are scattered statewide however, often with large acreage. We work for two.

EDS

Name
Ed
Been thinking about this. I just raised my prices to 60 per room. So recent that today when I gave a quote (minimum service charge 157.50) at the old rate. And they booked. Oh well. But after todays jobs I was pondering raising to $65. I don't think I will put on website though. Or if I do it will be buried. Yes it could weed out price shoppers but it could effect my bounce rate as well. Im between 20-28%. At least I get something from the price shoppers...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom