Teflon marks on tumbled marble

D

David Day

Cleaned a Tumbled marble floor and used cutting wand (with teflon glide)to pickup corrners and it left some teflon marks that look like scratches. But when you look real close or run your fingernail across what looks like a scratch you cannot feel anything. It looks like the teflon has been ground into the soft stone. If you get the floor even a little wet you cannot see the scratches. Any idea's on how to remove? Thank You!
David

Fon Johnson

I guess it could be a little teflon residue. I have never dealt with this though.. It could also be a fine scratch, especially if there was a little grit in the teflon glide. It might take a light polishing to get it out. You could try a little alkaline cleaner and a very light pad such as the center out of a buffing pad (I would not go more aggressive than red) and test it carefully in a small out of the way area first. Do not get too aggressive with either pH or pad, and certainly stay away from acid!!

D

David Day

The rest of the story. This job is for my brother in law, I don't like cleaning for family they think it's there right to get free cleaning. Had to clean 1000 sq. ft. of carpet 12 ft. mico fiber couch and love seat. A Yukon carpet and upholstery and 200 sq. ft. tumbled marble. I have 5 1/2 hours into the job so far. I would post pic's of mark"s, but the mark's wont show in pic's way to light. He pulls out a 500 watt light to show me the spots because with out light you cannot see them. He now wants me to replace the floor. I told him I could polish off five or ten thousands of a inch to clean it up, but he thinks the floor will be no good after polishing. By the way he is a (Tile installer expert) so he says. The mark's are so light that's why I thought they may be teflon. Don't worry Greenie, I think you glides are the best. As soon as I get time and need 2 new glides and another greenhorn wand. PS He just wants the money, He will install himself. Ya right. I think all is because he has only done two jobs sense thanksgiving. Wander why?

Gotta Love the family
David

Greenie

well...chat with sis, and tell her to straighten out her man, or she'll never ever see some free cleaning again.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Free cleaning ??

Free cleanings often leads to problems.

You have way more patience than me, if it is how you explain........I would tell him to pound it. What an a--hole!

Doesn't really sound like a problem to me.

Gary T

This guy might think he's a "tile expert", but he don't know dick about stone. Tumbled marble has a honed finish 99.999999% of the time. There is no way you can ruin this floor by honing or polishing or cleaning or leaving a few marks that more than likely were there before. Get a red pad and some 800 grit honing powder, and you should be able to remove the marks by hand or a small orbital sander. Then the bro in law can go pound sand and next time pay someone else to be a pain in the a** to.

Good Luck

Chris A

Name
Chris
um yeah the catch 22 of free cleanings, THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO BITCH!!! Tell him to FO

David Gelinas

David
From the sounds of it one of two things has happened:
1) Yes it could be that you did get a slight amount of transfer from the Teflon on to the stone and it is leaving a small line of “shine” making it look like a scratch.
- OR -
2) You actually smoothed out the natural honed texture of the stone, essentially scratching it, with the Teflon.
Either way I’d look at fixing it the same way and very easy. First wipe the area with a very hot solvent like MEK. If that doesn’t correct it lightly work the area (WET) with a green scotch-brite pad and spot re-hone the floor.

And most importantly remember – no good dead goes unpunished.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom