Should I pay to refinish her table?

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
You could try telling her you know you didnt do it but are willing to split the repair bill and give her cleaning credits instead of cash !!

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Ross Martin
I put those F*ing things in the bath sink.

Those are not as bad as the ones where they pour the oil directly into a bowl.

Thanks for the thread. I am going to have a talk with my helper to make sure he unplugs and does the same.

Reactions: joe2014 and Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
Used common sense

No F'n way did we cause 1000scof spiderweb swirls in one visit.

We continued to clean for her idiot daughter for a while longer before we fired her for other reasons

Reactions: Donwand

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Sorry that happened to you.

Get over it this type of crap happens all the time. You can continue to go over it and try to find or assign blame or you can just step up solve the problem and move on.

Call your local high end white glove delivery service. They probably can give you the name of who they use and the spot can be fixed. They do this type of thing all the time.

Call your high end furniture store they might have a guy also.

I would expect to pay under $200 for a quick fix.

You can also research a company called Mohawk Finishes. Not the carpet company. They specialize in products for fixing furniture. They have a kit cost $200. I would not try my first fix on on this customer.

I hope this works out quickly. This stuff sucks but if you want to make the big bucks you have to handle the hard stuff quickly and then let it go. Move on!

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
My opinion... I don't pay for damage I didn't do. Period. But... if I might have done it, or even if I set something somewhere that a Elderly man moving back a table I had moved over to plug in my Rotovac, that had the oil sitting on top, where I carefully put it... unspilled. I would own the problem. So if I'm positive I didn't do it then- Sorry dear, you know I didn't damage your table and that that damage was preexisting. If the finish had just melted off you should be able to take your fingernail and it should be soft on the edges. If it's hard like the rest of the finish it has been there awhile. My 2 cents.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Joe, I suggest you turn it over to your insurance agent and see what happens. Many years ago I scratched a table and hired a guy to patch the finish. It came out okay.
If her husband is demented, please believe me that she is frustrated beyond description and will NEVER stop thinking you did it. In your shoes, I'd

1. State that you remember leaving it in the outlet, but

2. Can see the table is damaged, so
however it happened, you'll handle it for her.

3. You will have your agent come assess the claim to replace or repair.

4. Mention that those heated deodorizers are very dangerous (they can burn) and offer periodic cleanings to keep the place smelling nice, so she won't ever have to worry about them.

You did not mention pets, but a demented person spills, is incontenant, sometimes acts out by flinging poo and so forth. Handling this diplomatically will net you a LOT of business there.

If you are uninsured, offer to have it refinished and take it somewhere good. I totally believe it wasn't you and sympathise with the cost factor. Now take control and turn it into a gold mine!

Name
Lee Stockwell
L
Joe, I suggest you turn it over to your insurance agent and see what happens. Many years ago I scratched a table and hired a guy to patch the finish. It came out okay.
If her husband is demented, please believe me that she is frustrated beyond description and will NEVER stop thinking you did it. In your shoes, I'd

1. State that you remember leaving it in the outlet, but

4. Mention that those heated deodorizers are very dangerous (they can burn) and offer periodic cleanings to keep the place smelling nice, so she won't ever have to worry about them.

You did not mention pets, but a demented person spills, is incontenant, sometimes acts out by flinging poo and so forth. Handling this diplomatically will net you a LOT of business there.

If you are uninsured, offer to have it refinished and take it somewhere good. I totally believe it wasn't you and sympathise with the cost factor. Now take control and turn it into a gold mine!
great post!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I want to break into the mobile home cleaning . How do I market to them?

Reactions: FB7777

Brian H

Name
Brian H

Great advice Stephen. I do things a bit differently though..

I let the customer select a refinishing company and reimburse them for the cost (as long as it's a reasonable price). If' it's "your guy" they are more likely to complain about the refinishing job. If it's a company they selected, and they paid for it, it's up to them to fight with the refinishing company if they are unhappy with the work.

I even goes as far as giving them the money based on a quote from the repair company. I don't really care any more if they have it repaired or not since I am out the money either way.

And as others have said... move on.

Name
Bruce
I had a retailer that wanted me to go look at half million dollars worth of carpet , I was told it was 100% wool , imported from New Zealand and one of a kinds dye <---- what ever that means, and I was told it was browning out. The carpet was not browning out it was turning black from the black top parking lot, the customer wanted the carpet mill to pay for it , carpet mill said we are not touching it , it's not our problem . So while the two of them were fighting about it, the carpet retailer told me he would pay for the cleaning and it wasn't even his problem. Some times you just have to do what you have to do to make things right.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
You could break in and steal the table .. just kidding !!

You should take a peak on CL to see if some one is selling one just like it .. wouldnt that be great !! Or a Salvation Army or Thrift store. Bring the damaged out and deliver the one you just picked up !!

Ron K

I would buy the same exact Plup in and pour it on a piece of wood and see how long it takes to dry. If it is oil it would have taken a while to evaporate. I also agree Hack no tabs? You want to bet when they move the table there are furniture marks.:stir:

joe2014

Name
Joe
I guess it all comes down to..

Can you plead innocence WITH CONVICTION?

I agree. That's the bottom line.

I remember hanging the cord over the diffuser and I don't remember doing anything else with it. I don't see any reason why I would have. But is it possible I'm forgetting something? I suppose it's possible. So I can't plead innocence with 100% complete conviction.

Thanks to everyone here. You have all helped point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
The husband may have thought the diffuser was in the way since your cord was hanging on it or maybe he didnt want your cord hanging on it and put it on the table. That might be your answer.

Reactions: joe2014

joe2014

Name
Joe
Where's the tabs and why didn't you groom it??? HACK!!!:hopeless:

No need to tab furniture that isn't moved.

Waste of time to move every piece of furniture... especially furniture that customers tell me NOT to move, such as the table in question.

I've taken a poll with my customers. More than half of those asked actually prefer the swirly marks.

Bottom line: I spend my time on things that are worthwhile.

If you want to waste your time, that’s your business.

Thanks to those here who've provided answers beyond the 2nd grade level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Soukoreff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom