Scrubbing grout ?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I clean a restaurant tile once a month. This place gets 10,000 people a week thru it. (no joke Golden Corral) The grout gets completely full of pounded in grease and crap.

Does anyone scrub the grout with a 175 and a brush? How stiff are the bristles? How well does it work?

I don't have a CRB type machine

thanks

Adam

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Adam back in the day is used to scrub with black or blue bristles ( remove the center plastic on blue ) I liked the blue better they seemed to get onto the lines better. Now i never scrub i just let the chems work and blast at 1100. never had a problem yet, but then i don't do retaurants anymore. i carry a small stainless brush for stains that don't come out.

gene

John Olson

Name
John Olson
You have a 360i if you want to try the tile head the next time you clean it let me know at least 2 days before and I'll and it to you to try.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I much prefer the OP w/ tile brush over the 175 for that reason, and the OP digs the grout line better. We do a chain of Mr Gatti's that we've found need a little scrubbing in addition to the Geckko work.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Golden Corral just opened here today. How'd you land it? Care to share any details?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Adam, as you know I clean alot of restaurants. I have never had to scrub grout lines with anything other than a grout brush, and only have to use this on the first go around. I use 1200 psi and about a 15 min dwell time. After the first cleaning we never have to scrub grout lines again. I will send a pm with additional info for you.

On the first statement I will take that back we once had to "scrap" the grout lines with knifes in one restaurant that probably hadn't decked scrubbed their grout in 10 years!

Also, it was great meeting you at Mikey's Fest, you seem like an awesome individual and fun to be around.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Jeremy N said:
Golden Corral just opened here today. How'd you land it? Care to share any details?

They called me after doing a search on the internet. :oops: No great stories of salesmanship here.

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
AdamHale said:
No great stories of salesmanship here.

Humble as always 8)

If you do have to prescrub with a 175, make sure it is a softer bristle brush. Quite a few guys go in with a harder bristle, and the brush just bounces on top of the tile. With a softer brush, the bristles flatten out and get into the grout line a lot better.

Gary T

Where does one find a sling ring?
Go to Home Cheapo and by the VCT you should find the rubber cove molding. Use the 6" stuff. Get a piece long enough to go around your machine and rivet it together. Lawn edging has been known to work also

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Jim Bethel said:
AdamHale said:
No great stories of salesmanship here.

Humble as always 8)

If you do have to prescrub with a 175, make sure it is a softer bristle brush. Quite a few guys go in with a harder bristle, and the brush just bounces on top of the tile. With a softer brush, the bristles flatten out and get into the grout line a lot better.

Adam, you don't realize how you talk to people. Even if you don't intend to, you inform people of what you can do for people. Sure, they found you on the internet, but they called you for tile cleaning. You sold them on the carpets.
So yes, you did land that gig.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
although you didn't ask, I use a product called power plus with some sodium percarbonate added to it for grout juice. it really attacks the grease and the sodium P helps break up the organic stuff aside from the grease. power plus is made my powerline industries, basically its the same as viper venom only about 3x's stronger. and its ALOT cheaper too, well at least for me.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
I recently did about 1000 s/f of commercial tile and grout using Husky 707 floor stripper and the Powr-flite cas16

iipsrv.fcgi

I thougt it was doing a great job (painfully slow) until the pump went out about halfway through.

Then i switched to the Redline Spinner using the same floor stripper and was able to move twice as fast.

Grout turned out suprisingly well with zero agitation.

Think I'll try Buckeye RipSaw floor stripper next time.

There's got to be a better way to get grout lines without the hassle and expense of mechanical agitation.

Proper dwell time and chemicals perhaps?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I have found that with the grout brush, all the grout needs is a lite pass with the grout brush to clean up nice under normal conditions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom