Restaurant dining room tile &....grout?

1-Stop

Name
reformed hack
I’ve lurked for a while and gotten some great info and insight a number of times but it’s first post time with this mess. I went to measure a dining room in a restaurant for t&g cleaning and came across this. At first glance it just looked like normal black grout but looking closer I’m lost as to what it even is. It seems like grease build up but it’s on a massive scale, throughout every inch of the room, and that doesn’t make sense to me. It’s so soft I was able to scrape some away with a pen cap and then using my pocket knife I easily got all the way down to what felt like grout. First instinct is to run away but I thought I’d throw it out here before making my final decision. The area in the pics is the complete opposite end of the dining area than the kitchen too. I’m stumped, any advice?

A5A0946E-DB2F-41F9-9ABE-B73720041A65.jpeg
4FD0B304-01D7-4429-9BDC-0381CDE57E2E.jpeg

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
I’ve lurked for a while and gotten some great info and insight a number of times but it’s first post time with this mess. I went to measure a dining room in a restaurant for t&g cleaning and came across this. At first glance it just looked like normal black grout but looking closer I’m lost as to what it even is. It seems like grease build up but it’s on a massive scale, throughout every inch of the room, and that doesn’t make sense to me. It’s so soft I was able to scrape some away with a pen cap and then using my pocket knife I easily got all the way down to what felt like grout. First instinct is to run away but I thought I’d throw it out here before making my final decision. The area in the pics is the complete opposite end of the dining area than the kitchen too. I’m stumped, any advice?

View attachment 97321View attachment 97322

Last commercial place I did Saltillo was dining in a hotel and it was $5/ft. That there is a nightmare using typical cleaning methods and I’d charge $5-6/ft if I were to tackle it. Scraping is actually gonna be faster.

It’s doable but most places that have that don’t want to pay for that kind of cleaning.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Yeah that's a nightmare but you can tackle it.
Pre-qualified attempt of removal. A tappered bristle basin brush on 175 may be the ticket.

If your thinking about it ask if you can do a free demo. Choose a area close to a easy setup.

Mop on really hot high ph tile cleaner. Dwell a few and experiment with agitation tools at your disposal.

I always let them.know the price up front and it may take a couple trips to get completely even grout. Charge every trip. Most likely they won't want to pay.
They may if had inspection and failed.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Jeff T
I did one exactly like that 2 years ago...
I bid it to take me between 6-8 hrs..
I was there for 11.5...
Hands and knees, and scraping all of it...
I learned my lesson.
NEVER AGAIN.

1-Stop

Name
reformed hack
I appreciate the input everyone, that's why I asked. I certainly don't think it's impossible but too many ways to fail/disappoint. I won't be sending anyone to do that much scrubbing on 1" tiles in an area like that. I doubt the restaurant would want to pay what I'd have to charge anyway. Thanks again.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
you would want to make a scraper on a handle so you can stand and scrape every grout line. I would give a huge bid so they dont take it, if they do at least you get paid well.

you definitely would not want to spray that and start scrubbing with a 175.. the amount of slurry and crap would be unmanageable

Reactions: Fat Mike and 1-Stop

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I’d tackle that with rubber boots, a respirator and Drano. Use a floor brush with a long wooden handle. Plan on throwing it away later. No promises about the grout looking an even color.

Knock ‘em over on the price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom