Regulation...

With the number of health, safety, and liability issues ever growing I think its overdue that there is some regulation in the WDR and Mold Remediation industry as well.

Regulation would help to lower CPL rates as well as help diminish PSP programs. Anothe bennefit would be that a lot of the "fly-by-night" restorers would be eliminated from the pack.

I have seen numerous posts against regulation in the past. Usually because people don't want to go though the expense or steps that such regulation would require. Before you post against it, as yourself how much do you get to apply microban and how much does an exterminator get to apply microban?

Another thing, the exterminator's playing field is a level one...all of his competitors are trained and liscened....are yours?

Rex Tyus

I agree with you on this one Craig. It is all to easy to become a "Professional" Cleaner and Restorer. What good are standards without enforcement.

Plus if we were regulated then there would be a "Code" book not a reference book and insurance companies would pay for freaking air scrubbers. :twisted:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Rex Tyus said:
I agree with you on this one Craig. It is all to easy to become a "Professional" Cleaner and Restorer. What good are standards without enforcement.

Plus if we were regulated then there would be a "Code" book not a reference book and insurance companies would pay for freaking air scrubbers. :twisted:

ROFLMAO Rex :) I just about spit coke all over my screen.

Here is my opinion (as if anyone wants to hear it) I belong to the USPA (United States Parachute Association) We are a self regulated association. There are FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations) and BSR's (Basic Saftey Regulations) FARS are LAWS and you can get fined, loose your license if your a pilot or even end up in Jail. BSR's are regulations "not laws" that where put into to place to keep the FAA from coming in and taking total control. You cannot go to jail or be fined for breaking a BSR but you will find it really hard to jump out of a plane ANYWHERE if you are breaking BSR's. You might even end up Tar'd and Feathered and that's no Joke :shock:

The BSR's only work if we self regulate. As soon as whuffos (thats non skydivers) start getting killed because skydivers and DZO's (dropzone owners) are viloating BSR's and FARS the FAA will come in an Regulate us out of existance.
The FAA doesn't want to do that and we don't want them to do that either. Thats why through the USPA we self regulate and lobby washington on our behalf to keep them from imposing more FAR's (laws) when BSR's are sufficiant.

Now how does that apply to what we are doing. We first we have the IICRC and the S500,S520 etc. These I would call our BSR's. The IICRC isn't perfect I know but that is becuase humans are running it volunterly but it is what we have. It is up to use to get involved and self regulate our industry, Trust me having the goverment come in that knows nothing of our in dustry start telling us what we can and can't do will not help. I also know the goverment wants nothing to do with doing that.

The major hurdle we face as an industry is that we are comprised of outcast, misfits and malcontents that cannot or will not work and play well with others. I do believe we can overcome this but it has to be done through the IICRC as it is already in place we just need people willing to be unselfish and willing to serve for no monetary gain. Thats the key though. Most of us are "whats in it for me" folks and not "how can I help my friends and industry" people.

So thats my take on things :)

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
The problem I see with government regulation is simple. You'll end up with some buearocrat in washington who know's jack about cleaning telling you that you have to clean with cold water, less water, and chemicals that aren't much more than water.

The difference is if you parachute and you are a hack you are a hack only once then you are a splat.

See....
it's all about the consequences. I am all for no regulations if you can promise me that all of the hacks will splatter.

Rex Tyus

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Hacks will always be, just not so many, as they'll slowly die off. People that don't want to pay a fair price for fair service, will keep feeding those idiots.

Just last year there were 95 carpet cleaners in my area, this year there are only about 60. I know we're talking restoration but I think the numbers are similar. The ones that do bad work, and can't get work because of that, will flounder and go away. The crappy part of it is, the franchises have a backbone to fall back on when they start to lose.

Of course all of this is just my opinion but it makes sense to me.

You make a good point Steven. However if we had to be liscensed as do plumbers, electricians, pest control applicators, HVAC contractors.... it would dramatically reduce the unemployed ranks from cycling through the system to continue to beat down the image and pricing structure of the industry.

Back
Top Bottom